New accretion disk method (WORK IN PROGRESS)

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
rthorvald
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #41by rthorvald » 02.04.2007, 23:28

Code: Select all

You are in the Solar system at a distance of 1 AU from the Sun. You can see the Earth.

> TURN LEFT

You can see the Moon.

> GO FORWARD

You are next to the Moon. You can see the Mare Tranquillitatis.

> GO TO ALNITAK

You travel across the light years of space to Alnitak. You see an O-type supergiant star.

Great! I remember playing games that really were like this in the early eighties. They could be just as evocative, if not more, than much of the graphics intensive stuff that is produced today...

- rthorvald

Dollan
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #42by Dollan » 02.04.2007, 23:58

chaos syndrome wrote:You know, we could just produce material and develop so we cater to the most low-end system out there, but then Celestia would be something like this:

Code: Select all

You are in the Solar system at a distance of 1 AU from the Sun. You can see the Earth.

> TURN LEFT

You can see the Moon.

> GO FORWARD

You are next to the Moon. You can see the Mare Tranquillitatis.

> GO TO ALNITAK

You travel across the light years of space to Alnitak. You see an O-type supergiant star.

Whoa. MAJOR flashback! I have this great urge to type "light cigar"... which, of course, opens up Dracula's "coffin".... Now I only hope that I have a stake in my inventory....

**chuckles** Ah, it's been a long day.

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #43by ajtribick » 03.04.2007, 00:07

Ok, now back to the subject of the thread...

I've tried out the add-on and I'm getting the central planet drawn in front of the particles, regardless of whether the particles are in front of or behind the planet, even in the OpenGL 2.0 path. Is this a v1.4.1 bug that has been corrected in the v1.5.0 prereleases?

Topic author
Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #44by Cham » 03.04.2007, 00:11

chaos syndrome wrote:I've tried out the add-on and I'm getting the central planet drawn in front of the particles, regardless of whether the particles are in front of or behind the planet, even in the OpenGL 2.0 path. Is this a v1.4.1 bug that has been corrected in the v1.5.0 prereleases?

Most probably, yes.

You should try it with 1.5.0.

I'm now starting experiments on the sprites.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

fungun
With us: 17 years 2 months

Post #45by fungun » 02.09.2007, 19:39

Ok being a newbie here. How do you change the color of the disk. I tried all the diff models, but they're all purple. Would rather have grey or a dirty color.

Thanx
Tim

Topic author
Cham M

Post #46by Cham » 02.09.2007, 19:50

fungun wrote:Ok being a newbie here. How do you change the color of the disk. I tried all the diff models, but they're all purple. Would rather have grey or a dirty color.

fungun,

changing the color is easy : just open the model with your TEXT editor (the dots models are simple text files). At the beginning of the data, there are some material definitions. Just change the color (three diffuse parameters) as you wish.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

buggs_moran
With us: 20 years

Post #47by buggs_moran » 03.09.2007, 00:21

Cham wrote:We really need an option, in the SSC or in the CMOD file itself, to tell Celestia to add a decrease of luminosity or opacity over distance. Then all sorts of things would be made possible with this technique.

In light of some new work I am doing with Celestia, I would like to strongly second this possibility. I would like the ability in the ssc. Perhaps as a switch like Emissive true and then a distance to fade.

Unless the switch is used, Celestia should consider the cmods as non diminishing (like Selden's graticules).
Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 6 months

Post #48by Fenerit » 03.09.2007, 01:24

chaos syndrome wrote:That's pretty cool... looks like it could come in handy for modelling star systems containing dust rings, e.g. Beta Pictoris.

Very dangerous for a vessel. Remember Pitch Black? :wink:
Never at rest.
Massimo

Fenerit M

Post #49by Fenerit » 03.09.2007, 02:05

Fightspit wrote:Can you reproduce a star which explode 8O :?:

Cham, can you reproduce single spheres of points colored as the spectrum? Your metod is that right for the granularity and the star's interiors. Even without cross-sections. For the heat, one could use the cloud's trick and for the spots, the point sprites.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
Cham M

Post #50by Cham » 03.09.2007, 05:32

There are tons of nice tricks I can do, using the dots distributions, and sprites. Unfortunately, the sprites aren't working on the Mac yet (buggy drivers), and Chris is gone. So all my projects are on hold, most probably for a very long period of time. :cry:

Fenerit M

Post #51by Fenerit » 03.09.2007, 14:53

Cham wrote:There are tons of nice tricks I can do, using the dots distributions, and sprites. Unfortunately, the sprites aren't working on the Mac yet (buggy drivers), and Chris is gone. So all my projects are on hold, most probably for a very long period of time. :cry:

I've read about point sprites and the Mac. Well, once resolved, you cannot say of not having add-ons where to work on! :)
Never at rest.
Massimo

**CoSmO**
With us: 16 years 11 months

Post #52by **CoSmO** » 19.10.2007, 11:55

Grrr im such a noob, i downloaded ur addon a while ago and it doesnt work :(

:?

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #53by ANDREA » 13.02.2008, 16:33

Vincent wrote:
Hello Vincent, I'm very interested to use your Asteroid Main Belt rendering using point sprites cmod, in the Solar Systems project I'm working on, together with Buggs Moran. Is it available for use on 1.5.0? 8)
If yes, can it be modified to allow its use for the Oort cloud too?
Andrea, Please, feel free to use and modify the Asteroid Main Belt model in your project. Since Martin originally created the point sprite cmod for his accretion disk model, you may just add something like "original model by Cham, modified by Vincent for the Lua Edu Tools" in your readme. You can of course also modify it to build a model of the Oort cloud. This will work with 1.5.0, except that the luminosity of the point sprites won't fade with distance... :(

Thanks a lot, Vincent, I downloaded the Lua Edu tools, copied the Asteroid belt directory into extras of my Celestia 1.5.0 installation, and obviously it works fine, and I can only say it's wonderful, so thanks to Cham and you.
But here is my little problem, and I think it's for Cham: I have to put the Asteroid Belt (and the Oort Cloud, too) at not real distances from the Sun.
I mean that the various Solar Systems we are producing are ?€?concentrated?€
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Vincent
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #54by Vincent » 13.02.2008, 17:48

ANDREA wrote:Now my problem is: how can I modify it so that, e.g., the belt will have reduced both its average distance from the Sun AND its width (min-max distance from the Sun, closer each other than in realty)?

Andrea,

You may want to try giving the Radius a smaller value in the ssc definition.
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

Topic author
Cham M

Post #55by Cham » 13.02.2008, 19:27

I think I understand what Andrea wants.

Changing the Radius in the SSC isn't enough, if we want to change the relative proportion of the ring's width with respect to its radius. If this is the case, we need to change the model itself, and we can't do it simply by editing the CMOD file. We need to run Mathematica with some new parameters (relative width and radius) and build a new model. I can do it very easily, since my Mathematica notebook is already done for this task.

There are several parameters to consider here, since the ring is actually a flatened torus :

Mean Radius
Mean Width
Ring Thickness
statistical distribution (there are several : gaussian, exponential, etc. Gaussian is the most "natural" looking distribution)

It's the same for the Oort shell I made (mean Radius, Mean width, statistics).

buggs_moran
With us: 20 years

Post #56by buggs_moran » 13.02.2008, 21:20

I don't know Andrea. I think you might have to drop the planet sizes or increase the Mars-Jupiter Gap either way... If you put any belt into the current model it would be too thin to my eyes...

You could enlarge that gap in your model seeing how Jupiter is roughly 3 times further out than Mars to accommodate that asteroid belt...
Homebrew:

WinXP Pro SP2

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz

1 GB Crucial RAM

80 GB WD SATA drive

ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

ANDREA

Post #57by ANDREA » 13.02.2008, 22:58

Sorry for my late reply, I was out for my wife's birthday dinner at Restaurant (well, once a year?€¦ :wink: ).
Vincent, many thanks for your suggestion, it was so easy!
I still was considering the radius as regarding ONE single body, and I was considering the Asteroid Belt as a crowd of tiny single bodies, instead of a single body.
My stupid fault, sorry.
I tried, and here the results:

I think the Main Belt is correctly shaped for my needs, but obviously the Oort Cloud here is a belt, not a sphere.
Cham, as I see you was working on it, and here
http://celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... c&start=15
you give an example (Thick shell of dust), but I have seen nothing else on the matter.
Did you finish this improvement?
If yes, is it available?
Cham and Buggs, thanks for your suggestions, but fortunately a fine tuning of Asteroid 1 and Asteroid 2 radii in the ssc file allowed me to create the right width of the belt, so no need of further calculations with Mathematica, thanks. :D
If the Oort shell will be available, I think that to avoid the Asteroid Belt luminosity increase with distance, I will use for this the old method of about 3400 tiny bodies, and the cmod shell for the Oort Cloud.
This IMO should give me the possibility to tune the luminosities in a better way, until Chris will satisfy our request to solve this problem (let?€™s hope in a next release).
Thanks a lot to all of you for your precious help, very appreciated.
Bye

Andrea :D
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Topic author
Cham M

Post #58by Cham » 13.02.2008, 23:06

Andrea,

I already have a nice working Oort spherical shell, at a proper distance. The result is satisfying, despite the luminosity problem with scale.

The zipped addon is only 260 KB, so I can send it to you by email. I like the result pretty much.

ANDREA

Post #59by ANDREA » 13.02.2008, 23:16

Cham wrote:Andrea, I already have a nice working Oort spherical shell, at a proper distance. The result is satisfying, despite the luminosity problem with scale.
The zipped addon is only 260 KB, so I can send it to you by email. I like the result pretty much.

Thanks a lot, Martin, just sent you my email address by PM. 8)
Bye

Andrea :D

Hungry4info
With us: 19 years

Post #60by Hungry4info » 13.02.2008, 23:40

Cham wrote:The zipped addon is only 260 KB, so I can send it to you by email. I like the result pretty much.

If it isn't too much to ask, would you please do the same for me? E-mail address is in profile.
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Return to “Add-on development”