Paleo Earth

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
maxim
With us: 20 years 10 months

Paleo Earth

Post #1by maxim » 03.04.2004, 18:57

After discovering the great (but small) texures at http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~rcb7/RCB.html that Brendan pointed to on the Pangea threat, I've decided to do a little homework and provide these as an addon to the community. No much work was done to the originals but cleaning up some seams and stretching to 1k size. Additionally I created a specular map and a normal map for every of the 26 textures. These maps where build artificially, so the may only cover roughly the reconstructed reality. You can deactived them if you dislike them. I would have also provided some fitting cloud maps, but unfortunately celestia doesn't support cloud maps in alternate texture definitions yet.

There is also a animation script available, that cycles through the millenias at a speed of 1 sec per 5 million years, thus linearising the differing time steps of the textures.

Please don't forget to get some more background information from the original site.

Here are some pics:

Early Devonian:

Early Cretaceous:

Late Cretaceous:

have fun :)

maxim

Jeam Tag M
With us: 21 years 5 months

Re: Paleo Earth

Post #2by Jeam Tag » 03.04.2004, 20:51

maxim wrote:There is also a animation script available, that cycles through the millenias at a speed of 1 sec per 5 million years, thus linearising the differing time steps of the textures.
Hey, Maxim, what are the funny dots that orbit around these Ancient Earths in your screenshots? UFOs? :lol:
So, This is another great response about the Earth evolution, thanks; it's a good summary scenario.
And don't forget the absolutely Magnificent Earth High Resolution: the stage 18000 bc (last glaciation, yes?) by Donald Edwards!
We can discover in Celestia, little by little, how the Earth has evolved: These are useful
presentations...! Bravo!
Catalogue des ajouts /Catalog for the Add-Ons in French
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Brendan
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #3by Brendan » 04.04.2004, 04:30

Thank you! 8O I had those maps but there were seams. Thanks for fixing that.

Brendan

galileo
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #4by galileo » 04.04.2004, 18:48

Jeam Tag wrote:what are the funny dots that orbit around these Ancient Earths in your screenshots?

isn't it obvious? they are orbiting space cities built by the ancient atlanteans of the pangeac age. :lol:

TimeHorse
With us: 20 years 1 month

Post #5by TimeHorse » 21.11.2006, 14:58

maxim wrote:After discovering the great (but small) texures at http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~rcb7/RCB.html that Brendan pointed to on the Pangea threat, I've decided to do a little homework and provide these as an addon to the community.

Can anyone tell me where to get Maxim's add-on and the add-on for Earth during the last Ice-Age aproximately -18 Kyr? Thanks!

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #6by selden » 21.11.2006, 15:19

http://www.nefkom.net/z-bau/celestia/

The WWW button at the bottom of his post points to that Web site. You'll find a similar WWW button associated with the posts of many of the people who create Addons for Celestia.
Selden

Malenfant
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #7by Malenfant » 21.11.2006, 15:29

I missed this first time round, these look rather cool! :)
My Celestia page: Spica system, planetary magnitudes script, updated demo.cel, Quad system

Don. Edwards

Post #8by Don. Edwards » 22.11.2006, 05:59

I believe the Earth 18K Ice age texture I made is still available on the Celestia Motherload. But don't quoat me on that. I am still toying with making a newer better high res version. But just a thought at this point.

Don. Edwards
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #9by Cham » 22.11.2006, 06:00

Hey Don,

you never released your terraformed Mars texture. What's up with it ?
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

danielj
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #10by danielj » 22.11.2006, 11:36

I have the addon,but it is lacking the ssc.Could you provide me with the code to create my own?

Don. Edwards wrote:I believe the Earth 18K Ice age texture I made is still available on the Celestia Motherload. But don't quoat me on that. I am still toying with making a newer better high res version. But just a thought at this point.

Don. Edwards

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #11by chris » 22.11.2006, 11:46

danielj wrote:I have the addon,but it is lacking the ssc.Could you provide me with the code to create my own?

danielj

Post #12by danielj » 22.11.2006, 12:36

Why is it stupid?
I don??t know if I can use the exact code of present Earth.Since it was Ice Age,the albedo could be different,for example.

chris wrote:
danielj wrote:I have the addon,but it is lacking the ssc.Could you provide me with the code to create my own?

selden
Developer

Post #13by selden » 22.11.2006, 12:57

Daniel,

You're right. The albedo probably would be different.

However, that new value is something you should be able to figure out for yourself. Here are a few questions to answer that should help:

What is the albedo of ice or snow?
What is the albedo of dry land?
What is the albedo of an ocean?
How much of the area of the image is covered by each?

How should you combine those values to get the final result?

Please share your results with us: I don't know the answers to all of these questions myself.
Selden

danielj

Post #14by danielj » 22.11.2006, 13:12

The problem is in the first versions,before Motherlode,Don Edwards provide us with a SSC.But for some reason,he deleted it from the newer versions.Why he did it?I know nothing about creating a ssc code from zero.And without an ssc,the addon don??t work at all...

selden wrote:Daniel,

You're right. The albedo probably would be different.

However, that new value is something you should be able to figure out for yourself. Here are a few questions to answer that should help:

What is the albedo of ice or snow?
What is the albedo of dry land?
What is the albedo of an ocean?
How much of the area of the image is covered by each?

How should you combine those values to get the final result?

Please share your results with us: I don't know the answers to all of these questions myself.

selden
Developer

Post #15by selden » 22.11.2006, 14:11

Daniel,

You can start with a copy of one of the other SSC files that Don provided.

You probably need to change only the name of the texture file.
Selden

danielj

Post #16by danielj » 22.11.2006, 14:22

I don??t have the ssc from the previous version.And textures like Realistic Earth or PaleBlueDot or even Northern-Summer Clouds don??t come with an ssc...

selden wrote:Daniel,

You can start with a copy of one of the other SSC files that Don provided.

You probably need to change only the name of the texture file.

selden
Developer

Post #17by selden » 22.11.2006, 14:53

Here's an AltSurface SSC to get you started:

Code: Select all

AltSurface "newtexture" "Sol/Earth" {
    Texture "name.*"
}

This goes in the main directory of the texture's addon. Replace "newtexture" with whatever you want to be in the menu. Replace "name" by the actual name of the texture image file.
Selden

Don. Edwards

Post #18by Don. Edwards » 23.11.2006, 01:24

Hey Cham,

On the Suject of the Terraformed Mars texture, its still not quite finished. I am hpoing that with the long holiday weekend here, Thanksgiving Holiday in the USA, I will will be putting the final touchs to it. So stay tuned over at the Terraformed Mars thread.

Don. Edwards
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

Return to “Textures”