Bouncing in Mariner 10

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
danielj
With us: 21 years 1 month

Bouncing in Mariner 10

Post #1by danielj » 28.10.2006, 16:25

I think Mariner 10 is lacking a .xyz data.I unzip the new probes folder to Celestia 1.5.0 pre1,but I have 2 Mariner 10 in the solar system explorer and I can??t "stabilize" the probe.I only gets near and then the probe goes away,like crazy.And in 1974,it is not near Mercury.
In other words,the Mercury script don??t work properly.Can someone fix it?
Other thing:I put several probes in the Extras folder and they didn??t appear at all,only its names and aproximate locations,but not the MODELS...

Starshipwright
With us: 18 years 1 month

Post #2by Starshipwright » 28.10.2006, 18:14

On the 2 probe problem, check to see if you have two .ssc files that say "mariner 10" as the name of the object. If Celestia finds two files and they are different it may treat them as two different objects.

On the non-appearing models, check the date setting in Celesia. If it is before the "begininng" or after the "ending" date on the .ssc that is what will happen. Celestia will show everything EXCEPT the model.

Not sure about the .xyz problems but think that it might be related to the 2 model problem. There may be two .xyz files with different information and that is confusing Celestia. So that is were I would start looking.

Topic author
danielj

Post #3by danielj » 28.10.2006, 20:40

No,there isn??t any mariner10.xyz in the Data folder.Maybe the "bouncing" is because I don??t have the probe??s trajectory.

Starshipwright wrote:On the 2 probe problem, check to see if you have two .ssc files that say "mariner 10" as the name of the object. If Celestia finds two files and they are different it may treat them as two different objects.

On the non-appearing models, check the date setting in Celesia. If it is before the "begininng" or after the "ending" date on the .ssc that is what will happen. Celestia will show everything EXCEPT the model.

Not sure about the .xyz problems but think that it might be related to the 2 model problem. There may be two .xyz files with different information and that is confusing Celestia. So that is were I would start looking.

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #4by fsgregs » 30.10.2006, 02:19

Daniel:

You have two Mariner 10s on your system. One of them is somewhere in your extras folder. Find it and delete it or move it, and the problem will go away. The bouncing is due to the fact that Celestia is trying to draw both of them in the same spot at the same time.

Frank

Topic author
danielj

Post #5by danielj » 30.10.2006, 13:50

It worked,but there is another problem.The Extras folders seem to be defective.I create a folder called Articial Objects inside Extras.Inside this folder,I put probes,data and ssc.But the probes only appear in Celestia if it is in the MAIN DIRECTORY.Do anyone know why this is happening?

fsgregs wrote:Daniel:

You have two Mariner 10s on your system. One of them is somewhere in your extras folder. Find it and delete it or move it, and the problem will go away. The bouncing is due to the fact that Celestia is trying to draw both of them in the same spot at the same time.

Frank

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #6by fsgregs » 30.10.2006, 23:04

Daniel:

Space probes use models. In turn, those models use textures. If you are placing your probes add-on inside the extras folder, it is possible it cannot find the models or the textures that go with it. They may be in the models folder and textures folder in the Celestia main directory. If so, then the add-on may not be able to find them.

Open the ssc file of the probes add-on, see what models and textures it is calling, and place them in the same folder inside your extras folder. Make sure you put them in the proper sub-folder. For example, models must go in a "models" folder.

Frank

Return to “Add-on development”