Flooded Earth - Project on hold!

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #21by Cham » 15.09.2006, 02:57

Geez Don, back up, back up, back up every 10 minutes, man !
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

bh
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #22by bh » 15.09.2006, 06:41

Bloomin' iTunes 7...looks awfull too!
regards...bh.

Neethis
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #23by Neethis » 16.09.2006, 17:23

:( *backs up all current projects onto disks*
FOR SALE: One small planet, red in colour, two small moons included. Moving due to difficult neighbours. Atmosphere and price negotiable.

phoenix
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #24by phoenix » 16.09.2006, 17:40

ouch! that really must have hurt :cry:
most recent celestia win32-SVN-build - use at your own risk (copy over existing 1.5.1 release)

cartrite
With us: 19 years
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Post #25by cartrite » 16.09.2006, 19:00

Hey Don,
I had similar experiences with system restore and almost stopped using it. What I do now is turn off monitoring on all drives except C just before I use it. Only C gets monitored but I always check to make sure after my last disaster. Another thing, Did you try to undo the system restore?
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

buggs_moran
With us: 20 years

Post #26by buggs_moran » 16.09.2006, 22:02

Is any of it up on your site?
Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Topic author
Don. Edwards
With us: 22 years

Post #27by Don. Edwards » 17.09.2006, 05:33

Cartrite,

Yes I set System Restore the same way. only alowing it to monitor the C: drive only. That way what ever is on the other drives won't be touched. But somehow System Restore got reset and the only drive that wasn't being monitored was the drive that had the pagefile on it. The PSD was about 3gigs in size, when you work on multiple layers at 16k they get big like that, but I still don't understand why there is no trace of it anywhere. The reset point I chose was well after the creation of the file. So it should have still been there. I have to chaulk it up to yet another of the many glitches that happen when working on computers. Even backing it up to what I thought was safe drive did no good. The most important part the 16k specmap with is which I am able to resomstruct everthing is intact, so I can start rebuilding it soon. I still haven't noticed anything else missing at this time, but I am sure there are other files and textures that are probably gone as well. Only time will bring the absence forward I am sure.

The one goof thing is that I already know what to do in theory, and this time I will be able to do it better.

Just checked something, I lost all my Antarctic data, well its back to finding it all over again.

Buggs,

Nope, the only thing that went up online were the pictures I took of it in Celestia, I never use the shatters.net server for that kind of storage. I do this for a few reasons. Bandwidth concerns for everyone and security.

I will probably beng this for days. Its time to get the big external SCSI hard drive tower up and running for backup and storage. I have 7 SCSI hard drives in it all in great shape and raided for speed and capacity.

Time to get to work.

Don. Edwards
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

cartrite
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Post #28by cartrite » 17.09.2006, 10:41

This may be a long shot but, I remember once a while back that windows ran chk-disk at boot up and decided that my indicies were corrupt. It renamed the bad files and put them into a hidden directory called dirsctory.0000 or something like that. Mabey something similar happened. Another long shot is undoing system restore. That usally has to be done right away though.
cartrite
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #29by Don. Edwards » 17.09.2006, 13:31

Come to think of it, after the iTunes debacle, and getting everything restored, XP kept runing diskcheck on several of the drives. The only way I could get it to stop was to run check disk from inside XP itself in GUI mode. After that all was quiet. But the file was on 2 drives and check disk never scanned C:. So I don't know what happened.

I did manage to use Firefox's history to find the sites I got the Antarctic data from so that is all good. I also found a rendering of what Greenland might look like without all the ice. So I have something to work with there.

Don. Edwards

Ah, never say never!!

cartrite

Post #30by cartrite » 17.09.2006, 14:04

I think that windows used a random set of characters to rename the files. I also think they were in a directory that was not only hidden, but a hidden protected operating system file or folder. To see them I think I had to show hidden files and unclick the Hide protected operating system files too. If this is what happened a 3gb file should be easy to find even if it was renamed.

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #31by Don. Edwards » 18.09.2006, 02:44

I looked through the lost files that were recovered, but nothing that was big enough to be the texture was found. It could also be because I keep my recycle bin size down to only 1%. So anything over 600MB is totally dumped. But again even if this was the case, my disk recovery tools should have found it, but nothing that was the right size was found It like it never even existed.

My XP install has been acting out of the normal anyway, so I guess I will have to do yet again another fresh install. I did a stop gap method on my system with this install of XP anyway.

I was using the newer AMD Athlon 64 based system, but I had come to the conclusion that the CPU was damaged and causing data errors and system hangs. I got this CPU from a friend second hand so I guess I can?€™t complain. Also the system only had two ram slots so I was working with 512mb less memory. So I removed all the system level drivers and put my Athlon XP 3200+ system back in and XP was running fine so I installed all the proper drivers and just went on from there. Not the best thing to do, as I am a professional and know better than this, I just didn't want to do yet another install and it did buy me some time. But we can see what it ended up costing me in the end. 6 hours work gone in a puff of smoke.

I am going to start a fresh install on another hard drive, copy my important data files across and then format the original boot drive and image the new install over to it. That way I can keep a fresh copy on a neutral hard drive ready for the next hiccup.

Don. Edwards

Ah, never say never!!

Despina
With us: 18 years 6 months

Post #32by Despina » 05.10.2006, 18:21

Don, I am probably too late, but I have succesfully recovered deleted files before using R-Studio:

http://www.r-tt.com/

Return to “Textures”