Bolivian stargazing

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
Topic author
chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Bolivian stargazing

Post #1by chris » 22.06.2006, 01:03

A slight detour from the usual topics pertaining to simulating the night sky . . .

I just returned from a 2 1/2 week trip to Bolivia. I spent a week of it camped in a valley at 4600 meters with perfectly clear skies and no light pollution whatsoever (unless you count the zodiacal light ;) ). These were absolutely the best observing conditions I've experienced. The Milky Way was stunning; the contrast between the bright parts of the galaxy and the Coal Sack near the Southern Cross was especially striking. On the days I went climbing, I woke up around 3 am so that I'd be off the glaciers by the time the snow softened and made travel more difficult. The other good thing about rising so early was that I was awake when Venus rose around 5 am, glaring so brightly that I at first thought it was an airplane. I checked the glacier to see if it was casting shadows, but the moon had risen by that time and erased any trace of possible secondary shadows from Venus.

As great as the naked eye observing was, I wish I'd had a small telescope or binoculars along with me. If I'd known that we would have llamas available to carry extra gear to base camp, I'd have brought something along.

--Chris

Cham M
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #2by Cham » 22.06.2006, 03:51

I've also experienced this, few years ago in Bolivia and Peru. I made a trek in Patatoloyo (around 5200 meters altitude) and also experienced those nights on some island in the middle of the Titicaca lake. It was simply FANTASTIC ! I had some binoculars with me, and was able to see very easily the four big moons of Jupiter, the cloud nebula in Orion, etc. There's no way I could experience something similar here, around Montreal !
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Re: Bolivian stargazing

Post #3by t00fri » 22.06.2006, 13:13

chris wrote:A slight detour from the usual topics pertaining to simulating the night sky . . .

--Chris

Ah! Welcome back. It sounds as if your trip was a great experience.

I also had a similar experience camping on a >2000 m high volcano in Java without any light source except the stars. My wife and I only had 25mm Zeiss binoculars with us which acted like a "huge" telescope. I'll never forget the view of omega centauri under these conditions.

Bye Fridger

buggs_moran
With us: 20 years

Post #4by buggs_moran » 22.06.2006, 14:13

Sounds wonderful Chris. Glad the glaciers didn't get you. I had a similar experience on Kitt peak. Not as isolated and I remember there being some light polution. But, it was certainly the darkest night I had ever seen. Of course, we had their telescopes to look through too...
Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”