RELEASE: The War Of The Worlds

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 7 months

RELEASE: The War Of The Worlds

Post #1by Adirondack » 01.06.2006, 07:31

As already announced on May, 17 (Preview) in this forum, Jestr and me were making a Celestia-Version of Jeff Wayne's Musicalversion of H.G. Wells'

"The War Of The Worlds".

Jestr built the models I had requested for the add-on and Jestr made a real great job!
I say it one more time: Thank you, Jestr ^10.

Jestr did make some more improvements of some models and added some more VT tiles of the surrounding areas of Horsell Common last week.

We provide two bilingual (english/german) packages (DDS and JPG), both zipped versions are approximately 160 MB in size.
The entire duration of this presentation (all parts) is approximately 35 minutes, separated in 4 parts (8 - 10 minutes) by an interactive controlled celx script.

More information about the story and the touring script is available via our Addon-Website.

Download the DDS-Version

Download the JPG-Version (when your PC can not handle DDS-files)

Edited 06/02/2006:
There was a tiny bug with the dds-package (the jpg-package is not affected by this bug).

We have fixed the dds-package on June 2, 2006 - 11:20 UT.

If you have downloaded the dds-package before June 2, 2006 - 11:20 UT, you will not see a falling star at the beginning of part 2 of the touring script as the text information indicates. The cause is a wrong date in the ssc-file "meteor_flash.ssc". Unfortunately we packed the first version of this file to the dds-package.

If you have downloaded the dds-package before June 2, 2006 - 11:20 UT, replace the file "meteor_flash.ssc" in the folder \wotw\flares\ with this file.
If you have downloaded the dds-package after June 2, 2006 - 11:20 UT you have nothing to do! :lol:

We hope you enjoy it!

Adirondack
Last edited by Adirondack on 02.06.2006, 11:25, edited 2 times in total.
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)
The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

Jeam Tag M
With us: 21 years 5 months

Re: RELEASE: The War Of The Worlds

Post #2by Jeam Tag » 01.06.2006, 09:58

Adirondack wrote:As already announced on May, 17 (Preview) in this forum, Jestr and me were making a Celestia-Version of Jeff Wayne's Musicalversion of H.G. Wells'.
You are in advance :lol:
Well, I've just ran your script, superb! (And even on my little machine, all works well - I remember I have had some little pb with an ancient version) Thanks for the 2 textures versions. I add just a word : WOW!
Jeam
Catalogue des ajouts /Catalog for the Add-Ons in French
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Topic author
Adirondack M

Post #3by Adirondack » 01.06.2006, 12:22

Jeam Tag wrote:You are in advance :lol:
I thought it might take a few days for you to download it (until 3rd of June). :P

Adirondack
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)

The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

Jeam Tag M

Post #4by Jeam Tag » 01.06.2006, 13:04

Adirondack wrote:I thought it might take a few days for you to download it (until 3rd of June). :P
...Well, ten days ago I did not have more fast connection, but I found some to be sure to recover WOW under good conditions! BTW, I like much the fall of the tripods, but in any event, animations are very successful. Ah, I have just a little problem, but perhaps is this my machine fault : Some models do not appear when I explore the addon (at the dates noted in script). It is not serious, I would make screenshots for my catalogue by pausing the script.Jeam
Last edited by Jeam Tag on 01.06.2006, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

rthorvald
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #5by rthorvald » 01.06.2006, 17:10

Adirondack wrote:More information about the story and the touring script is available via our Addon-Website

Very nice website, but a couple of details:
- The navigation menu is stuck (visually) on Horshell Common
- It??s quite ok with text on top of images, but i would tone down the images a little for better readability.
- I could not find a download link on the site, had to come back here for it...

I??m downloading the addon now; look forward to trying it out!

- rthorvald

Stew2000
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #6by Stew2000 » 02.06.2006, 15:06

THIS IS THE BEST ADDON EVER! 8O

THANK YOU FOR SUCH A GREAT THING :D
\/ Solar Winds \/ (Updated every 5 minutes.)

Johaen
With us: 18 years 8 months

Post #7by Johaen » 02.06.2006, 15:34

Pretty neat add-on. I did have one issue though. When the cylinder is entering the Earth's atmosphere, and you are supposed to see something like a meteor, I did not see it. I don't think that I just couldn't see it, like, my eyes couldn't catch it. It just wasn't there. Even when it zoomed in further, to make it easier to see, I still didn't see it. I was able to see the green explosions on Mars though, if that makes a difference. My PC's not great, but it's not horrible persay. My stat's are in my sig.
AMD Athlon X2 4400+; 2GB OCZ Platinum RAM; 320GB SATA HDD; NVidia EVGA GeForce 7900GT KO, PCI-e, 512MB, ForceWare ver. 163.71; Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1 Gaming Soundcard; Abit AN8 32X motherboard; 600 watt Kingwin Mach1 PSU; Windows XP Media Center SP2;

Topic author
Adirondack M

Post #8by Adirondack » 02.06.2006, 22:27

Johaen,
didn't you read the edited text in my first post?
I assume that you have downloaded the dds-package before June, 2 11:20 UT. So replace the file I mentioned in the edited text of my first post.

Adirondack

JimDv1.2
With us: 18 years 6 months

Post #9by JimDv1.2 » 03.06.2006, 19:26

I just DL'ed this morning and I have but one word. Astonishing!

This is really wonderful. It never ceases to amaze me what can be done with Celestia.

Adirondack, you and jestr are amazing.

My only suggestion would be to start the script with a texture for Mars that uses Lowell's canals and then finish as you did.

Jeam Tag M

Post #10by Jeam Tag » 03.06.2006, 20:26

JimDv1.2 wrote:My only suggestion would be to start the script with a texture for Mars that uses Lowell's canals and then finish as you did.
Well, well (Wells), what an intersting suggestion! A confrontation between various knowledge of old Mars, fictitious (HGW) or 'real' (Schiaparelli, Lowell) at epoch...This is an idea for a patch, Adirondack, when you tell at the beginning how the astronomers can see the planet: an overlay whith the nice cartographies provided by Selden is a good manners to follow the spirit of the novel, isn't it? Jeam
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Johaen
With us: 18 years 8 months

Post #11by Johaen » 03.06.2006, 23:17

Adirondack wrote:Johaen,
didn't you read the edited text in my first post?
I assume that you have downloaded the dds-package before June, 2 11:20 UT. So replace the file I mentioned in the edited text of my first post.

Adirondack

My apologies Adirondack. I did not see your edited text until now. :) You are right, I did DL it before you edited it.

My internet is temporarily disconnected for the time being, so I will download the fix when I get it back.
AMD Athlon X2 4400+; 2GB OCZ Platinum RAM; 320GB SATA HDD; NVidia EVGA GeForce 7900GT KO, PCI-e, 512MB, ForceWare ver. 163.71; Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1 Gaming Soundcard; Abit AN8 32X motherboard; 600 watt Kingwin Mach1 PSU; Windows XP Media Center SP2;

Return to “Add-on development”