Cataclysmic Variable Binaries (was SS Cygni Addon (almost))

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
buggs_moran
With us: 20 years

Cataclysmic Variable Binaries (was SS Cygni Addon (almost))

Post #1by buggs_moran » 20.04.2006, 00:54

I am just ironing out some kinks, but I should have a beta version of my SS Cyg addon any day now. Just some shots to give an idea of the addon. The first is the system as it looks now. Need to refine the middle part of the disk. The last is a comparason with Sol.

Last edited by buggs_moran on 22.06.2006, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Dollan
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #2by Dollan » 20.04.2006, 14:39

Most awesome!

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

bdm
With us: 19 years 2 months

Post #3by bdm » 23.04.2006, 08:54

It looks like a very good addon but I can suggest an improvement.

The shape of the primary star looks wrong. If it's feeding matter onto its companion, it should be nonspherical due to its filling of its Roche lobe. The primary star should have a model to simulate the full Roche lobe.

The teardrop shape of the Roche lobe is shown in a diagram on this page.

Echo
With us: 18 years 8 months

Post #4by Echo » 13.05.2006, 11:46

Hi, buggs_moran.
Where is this cygni addon?
Pleace post the link...
Thankful in advance!

Topic author
buggs_moran

Post #5by buggs_moran » 13.05.2006, 12:36

Soon...

I am working on refining the model and data. We are also looking at the possibility of mass producing this style of binary in a similar fashion of Fridgers galaxies.
Homebrew:

WinXP Pro SP2

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

1 GB Crucial RAM

80 GB WD SATA drive

ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Echo

Post #6by Echo » 13.05.2006, 12:51

Eah...it`s good news.
Waiting for...LEBED` X1 (on ENG. Cygnus X1).

Topic author
buggs_moran

Post #7by buggs_moran » 13.05.2006, 14:30

Check out the motherlode Echo. Cham has done a wonderful black hole addon for Cygnus X-1.

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/creat ... gnusX1.zip
Homebrew:

WinXP Pro SP2

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

1 GB Crucial RAM

80 GB WD SATA drive

ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #8by Chuft-Captain » 13.05.2006, 15:40

Buggs,

The matter transfer stream appears to be in a straight line (This could be just the viewing angle but if not, you might like to consider the following constructive criticism).

I'm no astrophysicist but IMHO this stream should spiral in a parabolic arc into the accretion disc, because it will take some time for particles in this stream to give up their angular momentum (from the rotation of the originating star).

Regards
CC
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

Topic author
buggs_moran

Post #9by buggs_moran » 13.05.2006, 15:51

The transfer stream is on a curve. That is one of the most damning parts of these addons. (you experienced it in your 2001 addon) There is no cyclical movement. The stream is supposed to fall off of the Lagrange point where the star overfills the Roche lobe. In this system, the stars are so close together that it doesn't seem to curve.
Homebrew:

WinXP Pro SP2

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

1 GB Crucial RAM

80 GB WD SATA drive

ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Chuft-Captain

Post #10by Chuft-Captain » 13.05.2006, 16:38

buggs_moran wrote:In this system, the stars are so close together that it doesn't seem to curve.
Perhaps then, the curvature is fairly true to life... the closer they are, the greater the pull of the companion, and hence, the straighter the stream.

PS. I'm sure if I understand what this has to do with my 2001 addon. Are your referring to the docking of Orion?
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"

Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #11by Cham » 13.05.2006, 16:46

What buggs_moran is doing is an heroic effort, considering Celestia's limitations on 3D representations of gases and nebulae. I also tried before to make an oblate star with a smooth matter bridge accreting to a black hole or to a pulsar. The results weren't satisfying to my taste, so I abandonned the project. It's just too frustrating to fight against Celestia's limitations. There are three things which kills my motivation here :

1- There are no cyclic (or periodic) movements along a simple path like a straight line, arc, or part of an ellipse. Actually, there's no way we can defiine a movement along an open segment (half an ellipse, for example). This is very important for mattter bridges.

2- All transparent 3D models have some "hard edges" which makes the matter bridge looking artificial. It should be smooth and fuzzy from all angles. This is currently not possible to do.

3- When we attach a bridge (transparent model) on a star, moving around makes the model to "blink" in some artificial way. There's a depth sorting problem when several transparent parts of the same model are showing. This is very frustrating.

I tried many tricks to overcome those limitations, using all sorts of models (cones, planes, torus, etc...) and trajectories. But I never found a way.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Dollan
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #12by Dollan » 13.05.2006, 18:05

buggs_moran wrote:Soon...

I am working on refining the model and data. We are also looking at the possibility of mass producing this style of binary in a similar fashion of Fridgers galaxies.

That is something that I'll be looking forward to, most defintely.

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

Chuft-Captain

Post #13by Chuft-Captain » 13.05.2006, 18:07

Cham wrote: 1- There are no cyclic (or periodic) movements along a simple path like a straight line, arc, or part of an ellipse. Actually, there's no way we can defiine a movement along an open segment (half an ellipse, for example). This is very important for mattter bridges.
I can think of a huge number of useful dynamic things that could be done using this.

Cham wrote:2- All transparent 3D models have some "hard edges" which makes the matter bridge looking artificial. It should be smooth and fuzzy from all angles. This is currently not possible to do.
I've experimented with using atmospheres, but they can only be spherical. (ie. planets only). It would be quite good if an atmosphere could conform to the shape of any object.. I'd quite like to fill my O'Neill cylinders with an atmosphere.

Cham wrote:3- When we attach a bridge (transparent model) on a star, moving around makes the model to "blink" in some artificial way. There's a depth sorting problem when several transparent parts of the same model are showing. This is very frustrating.
IMO Depth-sorting bug is a serious problem.

Cham wrote:I tried many tricks to overcome those limitations, using all sorts of models (cones, planes, torus, etc...) and trajectories. But I never found a way.
Likewise.

Topic author
buggs_moran

Post #14by buggs_moran » 13.05.2006, 23:17

Cham wrote:What buggs_moran is doing is an heroic effort,

Hmmm, heroic. You are far more skilled with the graphics I think Cham. One thing that will result from all of the efforts is a database of close binaries for Celestia. The pretties (cyclic motion for the matter stream and cataclysmic brightening) will have to wait until 2.0. At least all the data mining on actual systems should be done. I am working with Dr. Darren Baskill of the University of Leicster, UK to put together all of the systems. I will then be running a merge (Word, yeah it's tacky but I don't know anything but Pascal and Fortran and that was 15 years ago) through our data to create the systems and the disk structure (along with magnetic field influences 8) on a grander scale than one pair at a time). That is the main reason this is taking so long.

Cham wrote: 1- There are no cyclic (or periodic) movements along a simple path like a straight line, arc, or part of an ellipse. Actually, there's no way we can defiine a movement along an open segment (half an ellipse, for example). This is very important for mattter bridges.

Dreeeeeeeam, dream, dream, dream... If there was one thing that the programmer gods could grant celestia it would be that.

Cham wrote:2- All transparent 3D models have some "hard edges" which makes the matter bridge looking artificial. It should be smooth and fuzzy from all angles. This is currently not possible to do.

Volumetric fills. If ya can do it with an atmosphere...

Cham wrote: 3- When we attach a bridge (transparent model) on a star, moving around makes the model to "blink" in some artificial way. There's a depth sorting problem when several transparent parts of the same model are showing. This is very frustrating.

Agreed. Most of the creation troubleshooting centers on this item.

4- I would like to add one more. Ability for stars to have dynamic magnitude with a, once again, cyclical nature... I think the ability to set and Absolute magnitude minimum and maximum with a period would be fantastic. Not to mention the data is already out there (AAVSO), it might take a little mining, but not much and I would be up to the task.
Homebrew:

WinXP Pro SP2

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

1 GB Crucial RAM

80 GB WD SATA drive

ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Echo

Post #15by Echo » 24.05.2006, 09:28

Privet, guys!
What about other binary sistem & Black hole like LMX X-3 M(.)=9.

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #16by Rassilon » 24.05.2006, 13:29

Cham wrote:
2- All transparent 3D models have some "hard edges" which makes the matter bridge looking artificial. It should be smooth and fuzzy from all angles. This is currently not possible to do.

Did you try using the built in nebula rendering to simulate a gasious effect? Overlay with this would produce some better results... Even better if Fridger would add a color script to the code in the dsc files... Unless Ive overlooked this....

You could miniturize a spiral galaxy over the ascension disk...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Topic author
buggs_moran

Post #17by buggs_moran » 24.05.2006, 19:32

No I haven't. I should look in to that. There is some code out there that might be adaptable to Celestia which could have those sprite spheres (no better terminology) move along the path from the star into the accretion disk. However, this may be an idea for version 4.0 :wink: . I don't even know how to call up nebula rendering in a file like an ssc or stc. Is there a whole part of this program I am unaware of?
Homebrew:

WinXP Pro SP2

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

1 GB Crucial RAM

80 GB WD SATA drive

ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Topic author
buggs_moran

Post #18by buggs_moran » 02.06.2006, 03:24

Just an update on my progress with CV systems. In the picture below you can see three different systems SS Cyg, V426 Oph and LS Peg all shot 6 million km from their repective white dwarfs. The bottom two are preliminary models built from a file containing data on the systems They are also Intermediate Polars as you can see in the 2nd picture, note the magnetic field lines. More data will be able to be added to this file with the hopes of building hundreds of CV systems on the fly. I have been working hard on this in my spare time which is why nothing has been released yet. I will hopefully have something during the summer for all of you.

Last edited by buggs_moran on 04.02.2007, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrew:

WinXP Pro SP2

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

1 GB Crucial RAM

80 GB WD SATA drive

ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Malenfant
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #19by Malenfant » 02.06.2006, 03:53

That really looks rather fab! :)
My Celestia page: Spica system, planetary magnitudes script, updated demo.cel, Quad system

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #20by ANDREA » 02.06.2006, 06:39

Wow Buggs, what a wonder! 8O
Very nice and eyes-catching.
Bye

Andrea :D
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Return to “Add-on development”