Hot off the press (Version 2 of Space Time enclosed) --

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #21by t00fri » 02.05.2006, 21:40

Tinfish wrote:
No, i am afraid my career took a slightly different direction. But i assure you i am just as qualified to evaluate a video as any physicist
Sorry, but when I look at your photo (above), and Fridger's photo, plus some of your previous comments, I find that hard to believe.

The photo on my Avatar has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with me ;-)

rthorvald
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #22by rthorvald » 02.05.2006, 21:44

t00fri wrote:The photo on my Avatar has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with me ;-)

I, on the other hand, really are all green and with only one big eye.

- rthorvald

Topic author
Tinfish
With us: 18 years 5 months

Post #23by Tinfish » 02.05.2006, 21:46

The photo on my Avatar has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with me

C,mon now Fridge. As a man of physics you should know that EVERYTHING has SOMETHING to do with you.

T.

-

Topic author
Tinfish

Post #24by Tinfish » 02.05.2006, 21:49

I, on the other hand, really are all green and with only one big eye.

- rthorvald

I told you there was something different about this forum!!!!!!

:) :)

T.

rthorvald

Post #25by rthorvald » 02.05.2006, 21:51

Tinfish wrote:
Sorry for being unclear... A collage at 4.5 minutes is just as challenging as one at 5, given the other issues i discussed.
I dont do collages. But I'm relieved to hear you didnt actually suggest
a 30 second video!

Uh... What is this? Newspeak?

-rthorvald

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #26by selden » 02.05.2006, 21:53

Since this thread does not have anything to do with Celestia, I've moved it to the "Purgatory" forum as suggested.

(Personally I think the name of the forum was poorly chosen, but oh, well... )
Selden

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #27by t00fri » 02.05.2006, 21:56

rthorvald wrote:
t00fri wrote:The photo on my Avatar has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with me ;-)
I, on the other hand, really am all green and with only one big eye.

- rthorvald

Yes, I can confirm this. I once saw Runar in a windy full moon night (on a horse in fact, with a little baby in his arms)...

Bye Fridger

PS: "Vater und Kind, kalter Wind, kalter A****, weg war'sch"
( Erlk?¶nig, "executive summary", J.W. v. Goethe)

sorry Runar, that should be easier ;-)

Vem rida so hurtigt jenom nat o vind?
Dej er de far med hans barn;
Han hava de pojke helbredigt i de arm,
Han fanga han sekert, han holda han varmt.
Last edited by t00fri on 03.05.2006, 06:27, edited 4 times in total.

Topic author
Tinfish

Post #28by Tinfish » 02.05.2006, 22:12

selden wrote:Since this thread does not have anything to do with Celestia, I've moved it to the "Purgatory" forum as suggested.

I think this thread sums up why this forum is so quiet and empty.

People reading this thread will see how a new member posted a space video featuring Celestia (in version 1) and had it removed on the say so of aggressive tactics by a bullying member.

Ive posted Celestia videos on Orbiter forums and various flightsim forums , and these were well recieved and tolerated. I then produced a Celestia video the other week and posted it widely, including on this forum.

...but because I left out the Celestia clips in version 2 my thread is removed to a wasteland area on the suggestion on one German member with an obvious attitude problem.

Now I see why this forum is as it is. Empty!

However, I have kept a copy of this entire thread .....
(to admin)

Regards,

Tin

--
Last edited by Tinfish on 02.05.2006, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #29by ANDREA » 02.05.2006, 22:16

ElChristou wrote:(I wonder where the hell are the other guys... :wink: ) (BTW, still haven't download :roll:)

Chris, I've downloaded almost immediately this video, but didn't post comments because I thought it was not worthwhile to do it. :?
But, having seen that this topic is growing up, uselessly for everyone including Tinfish, here is my opinion, for what it may count:
Tinfish, this video is too long, messy, tiresome, badly linked, without a story or a leading theme that can attract my attention on ONE or a couple subjects (not on a lot of them, and moreover not connected together), most of images out of focus, background quality from poor to ugly, and it's not related to Celestia.
And, just to end this, the fact that other people in other forums appreciated it, doesn't increase a micron my appreciation.
I think it's enough. :evil:
So, even if I have a very fast DSL connection, I'm sorry to have wasted some time to download and view it.
Selden, please, put this treatise in Purgatory, the relationship with Celestia is absolutely absent, IMO, and moreover, now that we are attacked by tons of spam, the last thing we need is to become the target of pseudo-scientific video fans in search of critics (but only positive, obviously). :wink:
Bye

Andrea :D
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Topic author
Tinfish

Post #30by Tinfish » 02.05.2006, 22:23

ANDREA wrote:
ElChristou wrote:(I wonder where the hell are the other guys... :wink: ) (BTW, still haven't download :roll:)
Chris, I've downloaded almost immediately this video, but didn't post comments because I thought it was not worthwhile to do it. :?
But, having seen that this topic is growing up, uselessly for everyone including Tinfish, here is my opinion, for what it may count:
Tinfish, this video is too long, messy, tiresome, badly linked, without a story or a leading theme that can attract my attention on ONE or a couple subjects (not on a lot of them, and moreover not connected together), most of images out of focus, background quality from poor to ugly, and it's not related to Celestia.
And, just to end this, the fact that other people in other forums appreciated it, doesn't increase a micron my appreciation.
I think it's enough. :evil:
So, even if I have a very fast DSL connection, I'm sorry to have wasted some time to download and view it.
Selden, please, put this treatise in Purgatory, the relationship with Celestia is absolutely absent, IMO, and moreover, now that we are attacked by tons of spam, the last thing we need is to become the target of pseudo-scientific video fans in search of critics (but only positive, obviously). :wink:
Bye

Andrea :D
Andrea,

another almost word for word and negative response to my video
shows only that you are obviously in cahoots with the other two,
plus your aggressive and negative comments to a new member do nothing to improve the atmosphere of this cold forum.

As I said earlier, this video isnt a crowd pleaser.
Some will get it, some wont.

the fact that other people in other forums appreciated it, doesn't increase a micron my appreciation.

Likewise, that fact that you apparently disliked it........doesn't decrease a micron the appreciation of those who do like it.

;)

Rgds.

Tin
Last edited by Tinfish on 02.05.2006, 23:02, edited 2 times in total.

rthorvald

Post #31by rthorvald » 02.05.2006, 22:46

Tinfish wrote:People reading this thread will see how a new member posted a space video featuring Celestia (in version 1) and had it removed on the say so of aggressive tactics by a bullying member.
There is a hint as to why the thread was moved in Selden??s explanation:
selden wrote:Since this thread does not have anything to do with Celestia, I've moved it to the "Purgatory" forum as suggested.
... It??s not related to Celestia. If you would take the time to look around, you will see that Purgatory is the Off-Topic forum on this board. That is what it??s for. There is nothing agressive about it.

Tinfish wrote:Andrea, another almost word for word and negative response to my video
shows only that you are obviously in cahoots with the other two,
plus your aggressive and negative comments to a new member do nothing to improve this cold and odd forum.

Tinfish, you asked for critique, and several people have used their spare time to take your work seriously enough to supply it. You can be quite confident that it is in the best of spirits, too...

One bit of advice: if you want to do creative work, you need to be able to not only handle, but also appreciate criticism - particularly if it goes against what you expect or wish for. It is an indispensable tool if you want to do work for an audience: it lets you see a mirror image of your creations, and from that you learn something you can use (or choose not to use) next time. Creating things is a learning experience, always. And arguing over it takes away the fun.

Sincerely,
- rthorvald

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #32by ElChristou » 02.05.2006, 23:37

Tinfish wrote:...of this cold forum...

Not anymore!! Tx to you Tin!
There is a long time I wasn't laughing like this!!! :P

(Tin, haven't download yet...)

Dollan
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #33by Dollan » 03.05.2006, 01:25

rthorvald wrote:One bit of advice: if you want to do creative work, you need to be able to not only handle, but also appreciate criticism - particularly if it goes against what you expect or wish for. It is an indispensable tool if you want to do work for an audience: it lets you see a mirror image of your creations, and from that you learn something you can use (or choose not to use) next time. Creating things is a learning experience, always. And arguing over it takes away the fun.

Well said, Runar. Without criticism, an author's work, no matter the medium, is simply ego. And typically only the author enjoys his own ego. Something I learned a long time ago...

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

Malenfant
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #34by Malenfant » 03.05.2006, 01:46

I must admit Tinfish, you're not making a great first impression with your attitude. Your very first posts here are of a video that basically has nothing to do with Celestia, with dubious sounding "reviews" attached (I'm always very suspicious of the bias of such things. I dare say you won't be posting any of OUR reviews of your work elsewhere, I wonder how many other negative reviews you've not mentioned?).

You also provided no preview stills of the video either so people could decide whether it's worth downloading 38MB of video that some random guy who just showed up posted. It's hardly surprising that you're not getting a positive reaction here, given that you made no effort to become part of the community first or even apparently to scout it out first before you hoisted your videos on us.

I watched version 2 anyway, and really, I have to agree with everyone here. It's amateurish, random, disconnected, badly edited and constructed, makes no sense at all, and iit is far too long. And as soon as I saw the Simpsons theme sequence I pretty much gave up on it, it just lost all credibility there. 8O

I couldn't really care less what all your other reviews claim, intelligent people (of which there are plenty here) are generally capable of forming opinions based on what they actually see for themselves rather than on what other people (all curiously only known by initials) say about things. And it seems that the general reaction here is negative.

I'd say you sorely misjudged this board and its members' openness to jumbled videos of random sounds and quotes and images that aren't relevant to the purpose of the board when you posted your links here. That's not our fault, it's very much yours - and we really have no obligation to like what you present either.
My Celestia page: Spica system, planetary magnitudes script, updated demo.cel, Quad system

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #35by ElChristou » 03.05.2006, 02:03

Malenfant wrote:...I saw the Simpsons theme sequence I pretty much gave up on it, it just lost all credibility there. 8O...

Ouch!! here I begin to have doubts... :?

Dollan
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #36by Dollan » 03.05.2006, 02:08

The Simpsons... they're an aquired taste... **chuckles**

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

Topic author
Tinfish

Post #37by Tinfish » 03.05.2006, 10:39

Dollan wrote:The Simpsons... they're an aquired taste... **chuckles**

...John...

Hullo Dollan.

You appear to have missed the point as to why I included clips from popular TV series such as the Twilight Zone and cartoons etc. I won?€™t spell it out for you, but suffice to say they are in fact linked to the storyline. Again, you either get it or you don?€™t.

===

Topic author
Tinfish

Post #38by Tinfish » 03.05.2006, 10:50

=== The trolls come out to play ====

Someone has pointed out to me privately what I suspected all along, namely that Fridger was obviously blatantly Trolling with his first negative review of my video on this thread.

For anyone who isn?€™t familiar with the black art of trolling, its where someone goes out of their way to be disruptive or negative - often in order to have a thread shut down or messed up. If the troll finds himself being outdone he will usually contact a few 'buddies' (fellow trollers via PM or email) and they will join in the fun.

You can usually tell when such trolling is happening as a normally deathly quiet forum (such as this one) suddenly finds new vigour as trollers come out the woodwork to hit on the victim. When they eventually disrupt and shut down a thread, the trolls often post messages above the old thread link in order to force it down the page. >>
http://www.celestiaproject.net/forum/viewforum ... 94e0e5b5e5

The telling sign is: Trollers usually all sing from the same hymn sheet (ie. They all post the same tone of argument (since the argument was instigated by the original troller), and their posts are usually destructive and negative.

In addition, the troller will often criticise a person without actually having contributed any similar matter to the forum themselves (.e.g. a typical troller will suddenly become an expert on video production, for example, without having contributed much, if anything, in the way of videos to the community himself).

==== The Troll test ====

Read this thread carefully and I think you will see how the trolls work - plus you'll see why, on other forums I have received only very positive reviews of this video, but on this forum I received no reviews until Fridger started the troll ball rolling.

I have happily promoted Celestia and the Celestia community via my videos over the past months to many other forums, but I have to say the chilling response from certain members on this forum has made me wonder why I bothered to do so if this is the level that the rest of the Celestia community operate from.

Tin

==== Take the Celestia Troll Stroll =====

Take the Celestia Troll Stroll and see how a well meaning new member's post is hi-jacked and moved by twists and turns ....
http://www.celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

---

--

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #39by selden » 03.05.2006, 10:55

While comments about the technical merits of a production are acceptable, attacks on individuals are not.

One of my problems with the original video, mentioned in an unacknowledged private message, was that its soundtrack was a copyright violation: use of commercial music without permission.

Since it's clear that no useful communication is happening here, I'm locking the thread.
Selden

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”