Could Celestia be used in schools?

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
Topic author
WildMoon
With us: 19 years 1 month

Could Celestia be used in schools?

Post #1by WildMoon » 21.04.2006, 22:04

I want to use Celestia at my school to help me coach the solar systems team (and using it with the smartboard would be AWESOME!) but I wanted to know if it would be ok to use it at school. I have a feeling it would, but I justed wanted to check to be sure. I've showed the science teacher running the science olympiad group at our school the website and pictures of the addons and told him about Celestia and he said it would be awesome to use Celestia to teach space at school. We couldn't download it to the school computer because of the new (and very, very, very, dumb new blocker) the school has in place.

I think Celestia would greatly help teach students at schools. Can I put it on a CD and put it on a school computer? Maybe after the teachers see how cool the program is, they'll ask the person in charge of the blocker to un-block downloading the Celestia file.
Pi does not equal 3.14159265, it equals "yum!"

A world without Monty Python, gnomes, news crews that make a big deal out of a celebrity breathing, Star Trek, & Coca-Cola? That is impossible! IMPOSSIBLE!

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #2by selden » 21.04.2006, 23:00

Celestia is used for education in many schools and planetariums.

You might want to consider Frank Gregorio's Educational Addon. See http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catal ... tional.php

Be patient. Ibiblio seems to be extremely busy right now.
Selden

buggs_moran
With us: 20 years

Post #3by buggs_moran » 22.04.2006, 03:00

Absolutely get Frank's work. Get the directories and config files all set up at home before you burn the CD. This will allow for an easy setup and copy at school. I use the program for my Astronomy class quite a bit in conjunction with Stellarium (only for it's eye candy on the ground) and Orbiter (mainly for Apollo missions and an occasional jaunt in Rutan's Spaceship One)
Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”