Interface celestia with switches

All about writing scripts for Celestia in Lua and the .cel system
Topic author
aizul
With us: 18 years 10 months

Interface celestia with switches

Post #1by aizul » 09.01.2006, 06:09

Hello,
Is it possible to replace our keybord with switches.
If it is possible, do we need extra lib. to communicate between the hardware (switches) and celectia.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #2by selden » 09.01.2006, 12:09

It depends.

An on-screen keyboards plus a touch-sensitive screen would be one way to do it.

A fancy panel like those available for flight simulators would require changes to Celestia's source code.
Selden

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #3by t00fri » 09.01.2006, 12:13

selden wrote:It depends.

An on-screen keyboards plus a touch-sensitive screen would be one way to do it.

A fancy panel like those available for flight simulators would require changes to Celestia's source code.

But first of all, any new piece of hardware like a "switch board" needs a low-level driver before it can talk to Celestia.

Bye Fridger

selden
Developer

Post #4by selden » 09.01.2006, 12:35

No new drivers are needed if the device emulates an existing interface. In particular, aizul was asking about a device that emulates a keyboard.

fwiw, the only push-button device I've found so far emulates a joystick:
http://www.desktopaviator.com/Instructions/USB/
Selden

Topic author
aizul
With us: 18 years 10 months

Post #5by aizul » 20.01.2006, 07:52

Guys, thank you for your feedback. My idea is to build a switch cosole so that we can simply turn on the switch for particular command instead of press the keyboard. Can it be done?

Boux
With us: 20 years 1 month

Post #6by Boux » 20.01.2006, 08:36

A few years ago, there was a very nice generic switch console available for MS Flight Simulator.
I believe the company went out of business but there may be some for sales on e-bay and elsewhere. You may want to do a google search to find how it looked like.
Currently, there are many such simulator consoles. They are (very) expensive and are most of the time dedicated to one type of aeroplane and/or navaid function.
I don't believe that they would be useful with Celestia (no use for radio panels, lights, landing gear, batteries, flaps control, DME, VOR/ILS, artificial horizons, fuel gauges, etc.).
Now, if you look at the number of keys and combination of keys used by Celestia, a keyboard is certainly the cheapest and the most efficient interface.
A switchbox emulating the whole keyboard would be very bulky, very expensive and likely unreliable.

selden
Developer

Post #7by selden » 20.01.2006, 12:02

I'd suggest doing a Web search for the keywords
specialized keyboard

You'll find lots of companies glad to make whatever you want. Some may already have a model close to what you describe.
Selden

Return to “Scripting”