V-2

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
medusa
With us: 18 years 11 months

Post #21by medusa » 29.10.2005, 16:14

Hi folks,

maybe you don't know the start crew of the first starts of this rocket painted a logo on the tail section of each... I have a color repro of the logo of the first successful start in Oct 3, 1942.
Its name is "Woman in the Moon" after the title of a popular Sci-Fi movie of those days. It has a Marlene-Dietrich-like young girl sitting in a crescent moon.

BTW, maybe you`ll like to change the name of the addon. V2 is derived of "Vergeltungswaffe 2", a term from the Nazi propaganda. Translated it means "revenge weapon 2". Don't like it.

I prefer the term term the development engineers used, A4. Derived from "Aggregat 4", translated "machine No. 4". Sounds more peaceful and is authentic. The first successful flight I hinted above is A4-V4, derived of "Aggregat 4 Versuchsmuster 4" translated "Machine No. 4 test series No.4" for it was the 4th ever build and lauched A4 still in development.

Maybe you'll think about...

~Diane.
Current Config:
P4 3.0Ghz - i865PE chipset - 2GB DDR RAM - Geforce 6800 @ 12/6 - 128MB DDR VRAM - 2x 17" CRT
Debian GNU / Linux 3.1 Sarge - Kernel 2.6.8 SMP - NV-driver 8762 - XFree86 4.3.0 (glxgears: 10680)
Celestia 1.4.1 (GTK) compiled from tar.gz

Topic author
Sitting Duck

Post #22by Sitting Duck » 29.10.2005, 17:38

But what about using it as a tiny flag on the rocket ?

I tried, but when i imported the 3DS into anim8or the texture dissapears and i would have to reapply it all....

"Woman in the Moon" after the title of a popular Sci-Fi movie of those days. It has a Marlene-Dietrich-like young girl sitting in a crescent moon.

Do you think I should add this? Because then i have to retexture...but I guess I could do it...because it would be historically accurate. Vincent, if you would like, I will make you a special A4 (V2) with peace flag.

BTW, maybe you`ll like to change the name of the addon. V2 is derived of "Vergeltungswaffe 2", a term from the Nazi propaganda. Translated it means "revenge weapon 2". Don't like it.

Sorry, i was unaware of this, I will change it. Yes I must take into consideration that this is in fact a weapon of war, and has a strong meaning for many.
Notes
Unintentional launch, cork was too loose to sustain adequate pressure
Very succesful glide
Best launch so far
Rocket started hissing, leak lead to a no-launch
None
Leaked in fuelling stage

Vincent
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #23by Vincent » 29.10.2005, 18:03

Sitting Duck wrote:I tried, but when i imported the 3DS into anim8or the texture dissapears and i would have to reapply it all...Vincent, if you would like, I will make you a special A4 (V2) with peace flag.

Don't bother about that Sitting Duck, you did a very good work. It was just a joke caus'I can't stand talking very highly of weapons and war.

I entirely agree with Diane : giving its scientific name to the rocket is a very good idea. :D

Keep up the good work.
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

Topic author
Sitting Duck

Post #24by Sitting Duck » 29.10.2005, 18:58

Keep up the good work.

Thanks!

Ok, I have uploaded the A4 :) rocket to the motherlode. Hopefully my first add-on (and 3D model ever) will be up soon. I think you will be pleased.
Notes

Very succesful glide

Best launch so far

None

Leaked in fuelling stage

medusa

Post #25by medusa » 31.10.2005, 08:31

I'm curious to see your addon in action, will download it today. Has it any .ssc data included? If not, I could calculate a pseudo-ellipse (which intersects earth surface) of the first successful flight in 1942. It went along the shore of the East Sea. Moreover, this was a peaceful flight - the nose section was filled with 900 kg of sand and some plastic bags full of a fluoroscent paint so the impact point in the sea could be found by a search plane.

BTW, is there any interest in the "Woman in the Moon" ? If so, I'll scan the logo and upload to some home page directory of mine.

~Diane.
Current Config:

P4 3.0Ghz - i865PE chipset - 2GB DDR RAM - Geforce 6800 @ 12/6 - 128MB DDR VRAM - 2x 17" CRT

Debian GNU / Linux 3.1 Sarge - Kernel 2.6.8 SMP - NV-driver 8762 - XFree86 4.3.0 (glxgears: 10680)

SittingDuck

Post #26by SittingDuck » 31.10.2005, 09:29

Yes it does have SSC data included, but unfortunately it is not accurate, it orbits the Earth with a small ellipse and at about an altitude of 200-300 kilometres.

Remember this is my first add-on :wink: .

If you would supply the SSC data here, people could change it. (I have already uploaded the file) I would appreciate this!

About the woman in the moon, will it be possible for me to upload "patches" for any add-ons I make? Because then I could use this.
Do you think the physics books are bulletproof?

medusa

Post #27by medusa » 02.11.2005, 09:01

I guess you always can upload "Version 1.1" of your addon. I did it this way with my "Impactors" addon, and as far as I see a lot of other people, too.
BTW, to which category you uploaded the A4? I cannot find it yet...

Concerning the Woman in the Moon, I have scanned the color repro (it's from a plastic model kit of the A4) and some photos showing the position at the missile body.

Logo:

Position:
Image Image

If the above doesn't work, goto
http://www.geocities.com/diane_va/download/a4/
to download the stuff.

It will need some time to calculate the 1942 trajectory, but it will come. BTW, a nice feature also could be kind of "smoke trail". Thought about such for my Impactors addon, but at bresent I have no idea how to trick it. Maybe we should post about this topic in the "developers" section of the forum?

~Diane.
Current Config:

SittingDuck

Post #28by SittingDuck » 02.11.2005, 12:43

I have uploaded it, but the site has not been updated yet apparently.

Thanks for the logo, I will work on it.

Haha, before I even start to think of a smoke trail I need to get the orientation right!

Thanks again.

SittingDuck

Post #29by SittingDuck » 03.11.2005, 10:26

:( It's not appearing! Could I have done something wrong? I followed all the instructions...

medusa

Post #30by medusa » 04.11.2005, 11:33

Maybe you can upload it to your homepage? I'm curious to see it. Moreover, I would have more fun in calculating the trajectory if I need not to take a grey ball as model as long as yours is not available. :)

BTW, seems you're more experienced in work with 3D programs than me. (I have blender but to be honest I just use it to convert model files to 3ds.) Can you create two simple 3ds models for me? I'll give you the 1942 .ssc in exchange, if you like.
Just a question...

~Diane.
Current Config:

SittingDuck

Post #31by SittingDuck » 04.11.2005, 12:20

Ha, sounds very interesting. I will get a friend of mine to upload the model to his page and I will give you the link very soon; but don't call me experienced!!!

The model is not perfect of course, it has the skin of the test V2 found on wikipedia, and one part of the fuselage is inperfectly smooth, so the light reflexts oddly off it, but in total I think it is pretty good. My silbervogel will be better.

What models would these be? ;-) I would be pleased to try!

The version now uploaded will be without SSC
Last edited by SittingDuck on 04.11.2005, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #32by selden » 04.11.2005, 12:34

Diane,

For what it's worth...many people use the freeware modeling program Anim8or to create objects for Celestia. It can import and export 3DS and OBJ. Its user interface is much simpler than Blender's, but it doesn't have as much functionality, of course.
Selden

SittingDuck

Post #33by SittingDuck » 04.11.2005, 12:47

Here is a link for download, without the SSC file (because it was rubbish anyways). ;-)

http://users.skynet.be/fa402040/nick/V2.zip

Topic author
Sitting Duck

Post #34by Sitting Duck » 07.11.2005, 16:50

Grrr, it is not being posted, although several others have been in the mean-time. I guess I did something wrong!
Notes

Very succesful glide

Best launch so far

None

Leaked in fuelling stage

Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #35by Adirondack » 08.11.2005, 09:53

SittingDuck wrote:Yes it does have SSC data included, but unfortunately it is not accurate, it orbits the Earth with a small ellipse and at about an altitude of 200-300 kilometres.

The missile flew 50 miles (approx. 80 km) high (not 200 as declared in your ssc) and hundreds of miles down range to its target!

See also: http://www.v2rocket.com/

So it was not in space!!!

Nevertheless your add-on is available on the CML:
http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_addon_details.php?addon_id=867

I modified the description a little bit...

Adirondack
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)
The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

medusa

Post #36by medusa » 08.11.2005, 12:01

Selden,

thanks for the hint about Anim8tor, I will try about it. Guess it nevertheless will take a lot of time until I'm practiced enough to create simple 3D objects.
A simpler way for me could be if there were kind of "human readable" 3D data file format, maybe in the form of a long list of triangle edge coordinates. Such stuff I easily could generate by a small Fortran, Pascal or C program and convert it to 3ds.
I have to explain I'm experienced to this way a bit more. 10 years ago I worked in aerospace research in numerical grid generation. We developed Fortran code to do that job. Coordinates were dropped out as long lists which were read in by a simple visualization tool to check its quality before it was given as input to the 3D aerodynamics simulation code.
So I'm experienced in 3D work but only by "number crunching" not by modern interactive tools like blender or Anim8tor. :?

@Sitting Duck:
I'll get that addon. Will take some time, but I calculate that trajectory and post the ssc file here. Stay tuned. :)

~Diane.
Current Config:

selden
Developer

Post #37by selden » 08.11.2005, 16:07

Diane,

Anim8or's .AN8 model files are plain text (ASCII).
Celestia's .CMOD model files can be either ASCII or binary.
Both can include lists of verticies, points and edges.

I've written Fortran programs to translate various astronomical databases into CMOD ASCII format. Some of the resulting .CMOD models are available at
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/catalogs.html

Unfortunately, .3DS files are binary, but they can be translated into .CMOD format.

Some notes about .CMOD ASCII format are at
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celest ... .html#14.0
Selden

Topic author
Sitting Duck

Post #38by Sitting Duck » 08.11.2005, 16:28

The missile flew 50 miles (approx. 80 km) high (not 200 as declared in your ssc) and hundreds of miles down range to its target!

huh? i could have sworn the encyclopedia astronautica claimed the apogee to be at 200 kilometres!

Lol, it is now stated in the description of the add-on "very innacurate", is this the SSC or just the model, model version two wil be out in time with fixed fins and texture touch up, hehe, how ironic, version two of a V2

btw, yay the add-on is up!

@medusa:

I cant wait, this will make the V2 extremely accurate, but then Ill add the woman in the moon and change the texture on the fins, because this texture is modelled after the first flight replica at the museum in peenemunde (i cannot spell this name!).
Notes

Very succesful glide

Best launch so far

None

Leaked in fuelling stage

Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #39by Adirondack » 09.11.2005, 07:00

Sitting Duck wrote:... Lol, it is now stated in the description of the add-on "very innacurate", is this the SSC or just the model, ...

SittingDuck,

"Very innacurate." is no addition by me but what you wrote in the long description section of your Add-On information via the upload form at CML! So you must know what you meant! :lol:

I only didn't take over the description that V-2 / A-4 was a vengeance weapon.
We don't want weapons in Celestia (or elsewhere!). Right?
So let's take the rocket as a draft of Saturn V.

Adirondack
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)

The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

selden
Developer

Post #40by selden » 09.11.2005, 11:36

Adirondack,

While it would be nice to be able to pretend that weapon systems don't exist, most of the rockets used to launch spacecraft have been slightly modified ICBMs. The shape of the V2 itself inspired the designs of many early fictional spaceships, the one used by Tintin is just one of them.

It seems to me that trying to persuade modellers to avoid creating such models is inappropriate, especially since it borders on political topics which are not allowed here. People have many strongly held conflicting beliefs which cannot be changed by postings in this forum. :(

Those who don't want to install such models don't have to.
Selden

Return to “Add-on development”