NEW : Manned Mars exploration space station model

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

NEW : Manned Mars exploration space station model

Post #1by Cham » 04.10.2005, 02:59

I've just finished a semi-fictious (?) model about Mars exploration in the 50 years to come (??). It's a small sized (30 meters radius) mars orbital space station which should (will ?) be used as a relay. Here's a preview :

Image Image Image Image

The model will be published here in the next few days, if there's some interest.

"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Dollan
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #2by Dollan » 04.10.2005, 03:37

Oh, there is. There is!

...John, waiting...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

trenner
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #3by trenner » 04.10.2005, 03:53

Ditto!!

bh
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #4by bh » 04.10.2005, 07:33

Nice job there!
regards...bh.

Jeam Tag M
With us: 21 years 5 months

Re: NEW : Manned Mars exploration space station model

Post #5by Jeam Tag » 04.10.2005, 08:30

Cham wrote:The model will be published here in the next few days, if there's some interest...
En douterais-tu un seul instant? 8) :lol:
Very nice, Martin, can't wait for it...Jeam
Catalogue des ajouts /Catalog for the Add-Ons in French
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

jasonda
With us: 18 years 11 months

Post #6by jasonda » 04.10.2005, 15:21

Definitely interested! Let's hope it doesn't collide with all the junk we're putting around Mars...soon it'll be as bad as Earth! :P

darthyip
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #7by darthyip » 04.10.2005, 22:27

I like the design. The quality of your work has been amazing. Looking forward to release.

Topic author
Cham M

Post #8by Cham » 04.10.2005, 22:37

The model should be ready by this weekend. I'm trying to add some solar panels, but there are lots of aesthetical and physical constraints. I'm not sure I'll keep them.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Topic author
Cham M

Post #9by Cham » 05.10.2005, 21:02

Here's the actual, almost final, version of the Mars station. I'm looking for a name for it, something like "Mars Odyssey". That name is already used, so I need something new and special about Mars.

I'm still not sure about the solar panels and may release it without the panels. What do you think ?

As usual, click on the small pictures below to get a large version.

Image Image

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #10by selden » 05.10.2005, 21:17

I'd guess that the solar panels would have to be quite large (~2.5x what's needed at Earth for the same output) to provide enough power for a manned orbital station at Mars.

Without solar panels, they'll need some kind of nuclear power source, right?
Although shielded, presumably a reactor should be on a pole to minimize long -term radiation exposure.

And don't forget they'll need heat exchanger panels for cooling, no matter what the power source.

[edit]Oh, and what about artificial gravity? More than 6 months or so of 0 G really isn't all that good for a person. In other words, shouldn't the modules be some distance apart and the station rotating?[/edit]
Selden

Malenfant
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #11by Malenfant » 05.10.2005, 21:22

you could perhaps replace one of the cylinders with a long arm with either the nuclear power section or some huge panels - maybe replace two, the opposite axis could be the heat radiators.

Topic author
Cham M

Post #12by Cham » 05.10.2005, 21:27

selden wrote:I'd guess that the solar panels would have to be quite large (~2.5x what's needed at Earth for the same output) to provide enough power for a manned orbital station at Mars.

Without solar panels, they'll need some kind of nuclear power source, right?
Although shielded, presumably a reactor should be on a pole to minimize long -term radiation exposure.

And don't forget they'll need heat exchanger panels for cooling, no matter what the power source.

[edit]Oh, and what about artificial gravity? More than 6 months or so of 0 G really isn't all that good for a person. In other words, shouldn't the modules be some distance apart and the station rotating?[/edit]

Well, this anticipation space stuff is supposed to happens in about 50 years from now. At that time, we should have new superconducting materials so the panels should be very efficient, with less area.

About gravity, well this is just a relay, to help exploration on the planet itself. I was also thinking about some bigger station with rotating parts, but that is for much later.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #13by selden » 05.10.2005, 21:43

Since it's manned, I just realized that it'll need a docking port. I dunno if you've included one on a side that we can't see, or are those the petals on the ends of the modules?
Selden

Topic author
Cham M

Post #14by Cham » 05.10.2005, 21:49

selden wrote:Since it's manned, I just realized that it'll need a docking port. I dunno if you've included one on a side that we can't see, or are those the petals on the ends of the modules?

Yes, there are four docking ports there, one on each of the four modules. The "petals" are a docking mechanism. There are four windows on the "top" command module, and four on the other one (opposite side).

The blue ringed modules contains supplies of fuel, water and oxygen. On the red modules, there's a command center, a scientific laboratory, and an hospital. Also, there's an Olympic pool and an IMAX theater inside ;-)

Tanketai
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #15by Tanketai » 06.10.2005, 02:44

Cham wrote: Also, there's an Olympic pool

An Olympic pool, but no gravity? That should be FUN!
"There's nothing beyond the sky. The sky just is, it goes on and on, and we play all of our games beneath it."

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #16by fsgregs » 06.10.2005, 19:50

Cham:

I'd love to incorporate the station in one of my Activities, before I release them in the next two weeks. I look forward to its completion ASAP.

:)

Frank

Topic author
Cham M

Post #17by Cham » 06.10.2005, 22:53

fsgregs wrote:Cham:

I'd love to incorporate the station in one of my Activities, before I release them in the next two weeks. I look forward to its completion ASAP.

:)

Frank

No problem. you will be able to use the model as you wish. I'll release a model with panels, and another one without any solar panels in the same package before this weekend.

Topic author
Cham M

Post #18by Cham » 07.10.2005, 04:15

Here's the final version of the Mars relay space station WITHOUT solar panels. I had some aesthetical problems with the panels, and I'll have to make a whole new version for this feature. Here's a download link to the 5.1 MB zip file :

http://nho.ohn.free.fr/celestia/Cham/Martian_relay.zip

Feedback would be appreciated here. What performances do you get on your machine (FPS) ?

In the next weeks, I'll make a bigger version with a new structure and big solar panels. 8)

Return to “Add-on development”