The "oldest" Forum Guys

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

The "oldest" Forum Guys

Post #1by t00fri » 07.09.2005, 19:58

Hi,

just was curious who of us most early Celestians has "survived" in "active state". OK, it's easy to find out, still I was a bit surprised, here and there:

Here is a sorted list of still /active/ Forum members who are a little bit "older" than me (Feb - March 2002)

Code: Select all

Rassilon             (Jan 29 2002)
hank                  (Feb 03 2002)
Spaceman Spiff  (Feb 21 2002)
julesstoop          (March 27 2002)
t00fri                 (March 29 2002)

(anybody forgotten?)

Bye Fridger

julesstoop
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #2by julesstoop » 07.09.2005, 23:00

That's fun. :D
I guess I'm the least active, unfortunately.
I don't have the time. Still I read a lot of what goes on here and have a deep respect for the people who keep Celestia going.
Lapinism matters!
http://settuno.com/

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #3by Rassilon » 08.09.2005, 14:15

You know when I first joined here was the exact same day Chris set up these forums....It was good timing I must admit or possibly destiny....

I was an Armada modder creating planets and something moved me to look for something better to display my views of the cosmos....Thats when I found Celestia....

When it was all set up I remember his first thread in here mentioning moving the forums from some other location....Now Im interested to know what all members were there at the time before these were set up....Are there any of them still present? Not to mention Celestias history before these forums....It would be fun to know this or if its logged somewhere....read it....for nostalgia reasons I suppose....
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

hank
Developer

Re: The "oldest" Forum Guys

Post #4by hank » 08.09.2005, 15:05

t00fri wrote:Hi,

just was curious who of us most early Celestians has "survived" in "active state".
(anybody forgotten?)

Bye Fridger

Sad to see your list doesn't include chris. Hopefully he will return someday...

- Hank

wcomer
With us: 21 years 3 months

Post #5by wcomer » 08.09.2005, 16:59

I survived Active State... perl that is. Don't get me started on its garbage collection problems :?

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #6by t00fri » 08.09.2005, 18:14

wcomer wrote:I survived Active State... perl that is. Don't get me started on its garbage collection problems :?

Hi Walton (June 19 2003),

I am of course aware that you are both "fairly old" and certainly active ;-)

But (unfortunatley) I had cosen above to make a cut at my own entrance date, being mainly after those few guys /older/ than me.

Cheers,
Bye Fridger

bh
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #7by bh » 08.09.2005, 18:21

Damn!...nearly made the list...still feel like a noob!

regards...bh.

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Re: The "oldest" Forum Guys

Post #8by t00fri » 08.09.2005, 18:43

hank wrote:
t00fri wrote:Hi,

just was curious who of us most early Celestians has "survived" in "active state".
(anybody forgotten?)

Bye Fridger

Sad to see your list doesn't include chris. Hopefully he will return someday...

- Hank

Indeed, Hank.

Chris told me beginning of July that he had only logged into the Forum very rarely essentially to find out why it was so dead slow...(after I notified him about it). Then he also logged in once when I wrote him about the Celestia forking plans. At that login he was reading all our "galaxy" mail and liked that stuff a lot.

Too bad...

Bye Fridger

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #9by t00fri » 08.09.2005, 18:47

bh wrote:Damn!...nearly made the list...still feel like a noob!

regards...bh.

Hi bh (Dec 17 2002)

;-) really old that man!

Bye Fridger

Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #10by Cham » 08.09.2005, 18:49

%$#@&*! What is Chris doing !? :evil:
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #11by t00fri » 08.09.2005, 18:52

Cham wrote:%$#@&*! What is Chris doing !? :evil:

Having his private life...

Bye Fridger

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #12by ElChristou » 08.09.2005, 20:00

t00fri wrote:

Having his private life...

Bye Fridger

We all have our private life... (I hope :?)

Buzz

Post #13by Buzz » 08.09.2005, 21:33

Well, I'm still lurking actively...

WildMoon
With us: 19 years

Post #14by WildMoon » 08.09.2005, 21:55

BUZZ! WATCH OUT IT'S ZERG!!! :lol:

I wonder what would happen if Chris gave Celestia to NASA since they really like it...
Pi does not equal 3.14159265, it equals "yum!"

A world without Monty Python, gnomes, news crews that make a big deal out of a celebrity breathing, Star Trek, & Coca-Cola? That is impossible! IMPOSSIBLE!

Malenfant
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #15by Malenfant » 08.09.2005, 22:02

I'm wondering why he doesn't deign to at least post something public on these boards telling us what is going on. I can't believe he's so busy that he can't spend five minutes writing a post explaining the situation.

"Having a private life" is all very well, but it is not a valid excuse when you're the key player in a public project like this. If he really can't take the time to do ANYTHING for Celestia anymore, then he should publicly retire from development and allow others to take over - not leave everyone on tenterhooks waiting for something to happen at his end.

It seems patently obvious to me that he is not going to be developing Celestia anymore. If he was still really interested in it then he'd be developing it rather than swanning off and climbing mountains or doing whatever he does. It's very clear that Celestia has sunk very low on his list of priorities, and that is holding everyone up from doing any serious development to Celestia's core because he refuses to allow anyone to split or fork Celestia and doesn't want to hand over the reins to anybody else.

It may sound harsh, but the fact of the matter is that if he's unable or unwilling to stay in the driver's seat then he should let someone else take over. There are several people here are still interested in active development (not of addons or textures or fictional worlds, but of the actual core program) who could take the reins. It'd be better than the project being on hold for what, a year or so now?

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #16by t00fri » 08.09.2005, 22:06

Malenfant wrote:

I'm wondering why he doesn't deign to at least post something public on these boards telling us what is going on. I can't believe he's so busy that he can't spend five minutes writing a post explaining the situation.

"Having a private life" is all very well, but it is not a valid excuse when you're the key player in a public project like this. If he really can't take the time to do ANYTHING for Celestia anymore, then he should publicly retire from development and allow others to take over - not leave everyone on tenterhooks waiting for something to happen at his end.

It seems patently obvious to me that he is not going to be developing Celestia anymore. If he was still really interested in it then he'd be developing it rather than swanning off and climbing mountains or doing whatever he does. It's very clear that Celestia has sunk very low on his list of priorities, and that is holding everyone up from doing any serious development to Celestia's core because he refuses to allow anyone to split or fork Celestia and doesn't want to hand over the reins to anybody else.

It may sound harsh, but the fact of the matter is that if he's unable or unwilling to stay in the driver's seat then he should let someone else take over. There are several people here are still interested in active development (not of addons or textures or fictional worlds, but of the actual core program) who could take the reins. It'd be better than the project being on hold for what, a year or so now?

Agreed. I just got tired proposing to him precisely this over and over again. In all cases his reaction was identical.

Bye Fridger

WildMoon

Post #17by WildMoon » 08.09.2005, 22:25

I agree. I've led a guild on a game called World Of Warcraft and was always logging on to take care of any problems it had first and then worrying about leveling up.

Just like I was the leader of a guild, Chris should take care of Celestia. In fact I could send Chris a long e-mail about the duties of a leader/creator of something he really likes. Might change his mind.

A world without Monty Python, gnomes, news crews that make a big deal out of a celebrity breathing, Star Trek, & Coca-Cola? That is impossible! IMPOSSIBLE!

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #18by t00fri » 08.09.2005, 22:29

WildMoon wrote:I agree. I've led a guild on a game called World Of Warcraft and was always logging on to take care of any problems it had first and then worrying about leveling up.

Just like I was the leader of a guild, Chris should take care of Celestia. In fact I could send Chris a long e-mail about the duties of a leader/creator of something he really likes. Might change his mind.

WildMoon, please do that! That's what this community has been waiting for...Ahem.

Just for curiosity (you don't have to answer) : could it be that you are far below 20 years old?

WildMoon

Post #19by WildMoon » 08.09.2005, 22:35

How'd you know? :wink:

I'm 13. Gonna be 14 on Nov. 12

WildMoon

Post #20by WildMoon » 08.09.2005, 22:51

Okay, since there are no new posts to check (waaah) I'm going to prepare to write an e-mail to Chris. 8) If I'm not back to the forums after this e-mail me and ask me what the crud am I doing.

My e-mail is ryanmbridie@hotmail.com.

Return to “Celestia Users”