CELESTIA!

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #21by selden » 08.02.2005, 00:58

I am using a dream machine: pentium 5

Yup. Dream machine, indeed, since Intel doesn't use the designation Pentium 5 for anything.

I did find an entertaining Inquirer article dated September, 2003, giving all sorts of "details" about the Pentium V and 6, each more outrageous than the last.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11785

:)

Old system:
256MB, 500MHz P3; Win XP Pro, SP2
128MB FX 5700LE; ForceWare v67.66

New System:
1GB, 3.4GHz Pentium 4 550; Win XP Pro, SP2
128MB GF 6600GT; ForceWare v67.66
(This system is painfully loud; quieter cooling methods are being investigated.)

Celestia v1.4.0pre6
Selden

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #22by chris » 08.02.2005, 01:38

Topic title edited to remove offensive excess of exclamation points. Sheesh.

--Chris

Evil Dr Ganymede
With us: 21 years 3 months

Re: Owwww!!

Post #23by Evil Dr Ganymede » 08.02.2005, 02:40

terrorbyte wrote:I guess that I've thrown a rock into the Cellestia Hive!!

Well, you just made lots of sweeping generalisations without actually specifying examples of the problems you had. What do you expect in return, exactly?

The threads that you have started asking questions on seem to have been addressed. Addons go, funnily enough, into the /extras directory. Your question about start.cel was answered, apparently to your satisfaction. Selden explained to you how to find specific stars.

Sure, it involves a bit of thought sometimes, but every new piece of software that someone is unfamiliar with has a learning curve, and Celestia is no different. What you get out of it is largely down to what you want to put into it.

And as others have pointed out, it's vastly superior to any other FREE software of similar ilk that I've seen.

Many, many responses, but very few of substance!

You've not exactly given us much substance yourself. Why don't you give us some examples of how "unfriendly" it is for you and we'll see how hard it is to solve your problems.

Michael Kilderry
With us: 19 years 11 months

Post #24by Michael Kilderry » 08.02.2005, 05:29

I've got a few things to say on this and my opinions on Celestia in general:

About Celestia's controls, they may be awkward when you are just learning them, but eventually you do learn them better, and the fact that you can easily add to the program with addons is what makes them fun, I think Celestia is a great program.

Michael Kilderry :)
My shatters.net posting milestones:

First post - 11th October 2004
100th post - 11th November 2004
200th post - 23rd January 2005
300th post - 21st February 2005
400th post - 23rd July 2005

First addon: The Lera Solar System

- Michael

jdou
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #25by jdou » 08.02.2005, 07:17

Two pages for this guy ?
That seems to much.

First, the name "terrorbyte". I'm not a psy but that sounds as a personality problem (I prefer "Brain dead" :wink: )
Second, If this guy is so experimented, what he proposes ?
Where is his own ideal "Celestia" program ?, where are his own ideals addons ?

French people say :
"La critique est ais?©e mais l'art est difficile"

Adieu terrorbyte(s)

jdou
P4c 3.0Ghz, 1 Gb, XP sp1, GeForce FX5700u 128 Mb, NV 93.71, Celestia 1.5.0pre2, BMNG 64k

Tetzauh
With us: 20 years

Post #26by Tetzauh » 08.02.2005, 17:40

Terrorbye, What you are experiencing is a shock from false expectations. I remeber it hjappened the same a while ago when Independence day cama at about the same time as Tim Burton's Mars Attacks. Many people went ino the teather expecting to see another independence day, but when tehy found this sattire of the classical 50's sci-fi grade b movies, they said that the movie sucked, but it didn't. If you went to see it knowing that it was a sattire of the classical 50's sci-fi grade b moves, you found it hilarous and fascinating.

Perhaps you're not really into space, astronomy, solarsystem exploration o even a bit of real science. Perhaps you just wanted a space shooter to kick some alien butt... and certianly celestia makes a really dull game at that.

But celestia is not a game!!!!!!

Celeria es a REAL SPACE SIMULATOR is about as close as you or me are ever going to get to looking out of the window of a spaceship and say "hey dude, You can see Io's volcanos from here!"

I am using a dream machine: pentium 5; 1 gig of ram, etc. etc. I am a POWER user.

Well, I have a computer with no graphic card at all. (I mean it, it phisically lacks the hardware, I'm surprised it runs at all) I have enjoyed beatuy beyond description, learning by viewing wich I could have never imagened myself. I know jack about programing and stiull have managed to change textures, atmosphere colors, virtial textures and loads of beautiful stuff. True, I would have to learn much more to do other stuff, but how much of a learning person are you?

I have to say it: You were expecting someting that Celestia isn't. When you find one of those crystal balls that have snow in it, you don't play baseball with it. and you don't spend hours watching a basebal either, you just trow it at someone and start playing.

AS for the millions of users of Flight simulator, jus let me tell you that also millions of people use the windows madia player... but as soon as they try someting different, like say, winamp; they realize that michrosof is just big and commercial and widespread, but not really good at software.

And Keep doom 3 out of this!!!
"Titan is Ours!" -Starscream

Spaceman Spiff
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #27by Spaceman Spiff » 08.02.2005, 18:42

Actually, well spoken (written?), Tetzauh. A very thoughtful post. If Terriblight is a troll, he'll show himself up now. But if he was misexpectant, then he should perhaps also think about the GPU inside the 'puter, not just the CPU. It's so important to gaming now. Then, to really 'power-user' a GPU, perhaps sir would care to try out Half-Life 2 (faaantastic gameability, but then no amount of 'power' will get round Valve/Steam's authentication crud).

Spiff.

Topic author
terrorbyte
With us: 19 years 8 months

Final Opinion

Post #28by terrorbyte » 08.02.2005, 20:33

This is what one gets for posting an HONEST opinion in a forum:

character assassination---?

making light of one's username--? (that's really clever...like a 6-year-old...na na na na NA na ----sheesh)

accusations of being a liar besause I made a typographical error, stating that I had a Pentium 5---?

Why don't some of you reply a little constructively?
....without such venom and hostility!

Again, I have spent HOURS of my valuable time with this program, trying to get it right, wanting to get into it and get some real enjoyment from it, and in a moment of EXTREME frustration, I spouted off like a really annoyed human being, and this is what I get? From a group of adults?

Thanks so much for being so positively hostile, people.

I've NEVER encountered such a bunch in any forum that I have ever belonged to. 'Devoting two pages to a [creep like me] - or whatever

WOW! 'terrorblight' 'troll'

All of this is part of my original point. And surprise, surprise: The forum-members here are just as user-hostile as Celestia.

Thanks, children
-:¦:-•:*'"/..\"*:•.-:¦:-•*
_

Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #29by Cham » 08.02.2005, 20:40

Okay, Terrorbyte, lets get directly to the point : show us your pecker.

:roll:
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Topic author
terrorbyte
With us: 19 years 8 months

More Idiocy

Post #30by terrorbyte » 08.02.2005, 20:47

Enough said. Now it's going from the ridiculous to the obscene.
Where are the moderators for this one?
-:¦:-•:*'"/..\"*:•.-:¦:-•*

_

Sky Pilot
With us: 19 years 9 months
Location: Moved recently from the Bihem System, now in Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Post #31by Sky Pilot » 08.02.2005, 21:00

All other opinions expressed notwithstanding, Celestia has helped me to learn at least a few things...

- that the Andromeda Galaxy can be seen with just a pair of binoculars and where to find it;
- that the lowest star in Orion's sword is 6,000 light years away and sits right on the rim of our Milky Way galaxy -- there's not much beyond it but intergalactic space;
- but that there IS a star directly behind it that's 10,000 light years father out that's 200,000 times brighter than our sun;
- that the second star in Orion's belt is a very cool nebula; and
- that the reddish star located at Orion's right shoulder is a big red giant that's only 500 light years away.

I've also learned to visualize what the speed of light looks like while flying past the Earth and the Moon.

As for me, I love my Celestia screen saver! It's the most educational screensaver I have found.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Re: Final Opinion

Post #32by t00fri » 08.02.2005, 21:01

terrorbyte wrote:...
Again, I have spent HOURS of my valuable time with this program, trying to get it right, wanting to get into it and get some real enjoyment from it, and in a moment of EXTREME frustration, I spouted off like a really annoyed human being, and this is what I get?

Stephan,

so you spent HOURS of your valuable time. Aha!

Ever thought about the many many hours the developers of and contributors to Celestia are spending?? Everyone involved does this out of idealism to create something great and unique. Nothing to sell here and make money of!!

And here comes this POWER user complaining about lost hours of his valuable time. Aha!

In this community there are all sorts of enthusiastic people, from professional software engineers, scientists, graphics designers to (very intelligent) "brain dead's" ;-) . Everyone is trying to contribute some of his spare time and talent.

And here comes this POWER user complaining about lost hours of his valuable time. Aha!

Man, I am afraid you simply used the wrong door, go
somewhere else, please...

Celestia has been used for illustration of spacecraft missions both by NASA and ESA on public Websites and in TV.
Celestia offers an unprecedented combination of breathtaking accuracy of simulation with state of the art 3d graphics. There are growing educational programs based on Celestia, also with partial NASA backup & involvement. There is a strongly growing number of enthusiastic reviews about that program, that for guys with your scope is nothing "but a badly animated screensaver"...

Bye Fridger

Ps

I really wonder what kind of a guy you are. What kind of job you have. And what kind of an eductaion...Of course, I am not expecting an answer.
Last edited by t00fri on 08.02.2005, 22:05, edited 2 times in total.

Dollan
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #33by Dollan » 08.02.2005, 21:19

Well said, Fridger!

Terrorbyte, you might as well stop playing the wounded troll. You don't do it very well.

You've been invited numerous times to provide examples of what you would expect from such a wonderfully free program, and all you can do is attempt to impress us with your comp stats, and remark on how your time has been horribly wasted. Again, I am amazed that you, not finding anything useful about Celestia, would choose to remain on a forum made specifically for Celestia.

So, for my part, you are invited to leave. In the end, it is up to you, but until you can show a little more thoughtfullness, I certainly wouldn't expect to receive any positive returns. Rudness invites rudness; don't be surprised by the responses garnered here.
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

Bob Hegwood
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #34by Bob Hegwood » 08.02.2005, 21:27

Dollan wrote:You've been invited numerous times to provide examples of what you would expect from such a wonderfully free program, and all you can do is attempt to impress us with your comp stats, and remark on how your time has been horribly wasted.

It occurs to me that perhaps our time is being wasted here. You don't
suppose this was the intended purpose of all this do you? :wink:

Take care, Bob
Bob Hegwood
Windows XP-SP2, 256Meg 1024x768 Resolution
Intel Celeron 1400 MHz CPU
Intel 82815 Graphics Controller
OpenGL Version: 1.1.2 - Build 4.13.01.3196
Celestia 1.4.0 Pre6 FT1

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #35by t00fri » 08.02.2005, 21:28

Cham wrote:Okay, Terrorbyte, lets get directly to the point : show us your pecker.

:roll:

Aha! Celestia and its community ;-) is an infinite resource for non-anglosaxons...

Merriam Webster wrote:peck?·er Pronunciation (pkr)
n.
1. One that pecks, as a bird's bill.
2. Chiefly British Slang Courage; pluck.
3. Vulgar Slang The penis.

Bye Fridger

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #36by ElChristou » 08.02.2005, 21:31

Ok guys, sorry, I know I am just a newbie, trying to solve some of my problems by reading the more I can, but are 3 pages really necessary to "solve" this kind of "problems"??

I would like to say:

THE END

as the bad guy: "TERRORBYTE"

with the actuation of: (in alphabetic order)

Bob Hegwood
Cham
Chris
Christophe
Dollan
Evil Dr Ganymede
Michael Kilderry
Jdou
Rassilon
Rthorvald
Selden
Sky Pilot
Spaceman Spiff
Tetzauh
The Singing Badger
T00fri (known as Fridger)

Dollan
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #37by Dollan » 08.02.2005, 21:32

Bob Hegwood wrote:
Dollan wrote:You've been invited numerous times to provide examples of what you would expect from such a wonderfully free program, and all you can do is attempt to impress us with your comp stats, and remark on how your time has been horribly wasted.
It occurs to me that perhaps our time is being wasted here. You don't
suppose this was the intended purpose of all this do you? :wink:

Take care, Bob

Probably. I still think he's nothing but a troll. He shows up at a specific forum, criticises that forum's primary subject in a non-constructive and hostile manner, remains registered with said forum, continues to add fuel to the fire, catches me on a bad day...

I should probably look for any bridges that he might be hiding under!

Hey! That would be a hilarious add-on. In a 3DS project similar to Jester's recent Alpha Site add-on, make a bridge with a troll hiding underneath it, and bury it somewhere in the known Celestia universe!

Okay, I'm feeling a little goofy now. Gotta love those night shifts!

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #38by Cham » 08.02.2005, 22:22

Or maybe he's the hacker which tried to hack the forum, some times ago. Like any real pyroman, he's visiting the site after his bad action.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”