Script Generator Program

All about writing scripts for Celestia in Lua and the .cel system
Topic author
newbe

Script Generator Program

Post #1by newbe » 28.12.2004, 17:29

I'll start with a question, does one already exist and if so is it good?

Rather not reinvent the wheel!

I'm new to Celestia, seems interesting! I started writing a Script Generator this week to simplify creation. So far it auto captures Cel info and converts to the desired script commands such as seturl, setframe, gotoloc and other such commands. I notice seturl arrives at a location rather abruptly where a command such as gotoloc has a smooth timer.

Jake

Pat

Re: Script Generator Program

Post #2by Pat » 01.01.2005, 15:18

newbe wrote:So far it auto captures Cel info and converts to the desired script commands such as seturl, setframe, gotoloc and other such commands.

This look interesting ! Is it available somewhere yet ? Any download link ?

Thanks

Post #3by Guest » 04.01.2005, 19:22

I figured out the problem with the shell. All material I've found gave unneed data in command line.

The generator is moving along good, should,'t be much longer. But I'll test for a while before releasing.

http://www.scrtc.com/~jdicus/temp.gif

It boils down to writing the script using Celestia.

press ctrl-C and it does most of the work.

It writes a script not just stuff a seturl.

It's not available yet, but I'm getting close. I have the available data to complete it. I just wish the Celestia site would get back up, it crashed before I got to download the manual.

When it gets to Beta , I'll post the download here. :D

Script Generator Beta Ready

Post #4by Guest » 15.01.2005, 05:34

Anyone want to test it? I'll post the program after this weekend.

Picture:
http://www.scrtc.com/~jdicus/CtrlCScript.jpg

ReadMe:
http://www.scrtc.com/~jdicus/ReadMe.rtf

Re: Script Generator Beta Ready

Post #5by Guest » 16.01.2005, 10:30

Anonymous wrote:Anyone want to test it? I'll post the program after this weekend.

Yes, i'd like to try it ! :)

newbe
With us: 19 years 8 months

For some reason my posts arn't showing up

Post #6by newbe » 19.01.2005, 00:40

I have now completed integrating the Scripting Guide in the program.

jdicus@scrtc.com

newbe

Script Generator Posted

Post #7by newbe » 22.01.2005, 01:57

A Beta Script Generator has been posted at

http://www.scrtc.com/~jdicus/CtrlCScript.zip

If you decide to test it be sure to read the Readme Install first.

http://www.scrtc.com/~jdicus/CtrlCScript.jpg

Vincent
Developer

Post #8by Vincent » 22.01.2005, 22:17

The instal is Ok, but then, when I open the program, it crashes with a 'runtime error'.

AMD Athlon
2 GHz
256 Mo Ram
XP Home SP1

@+
Vincent
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

Crash

Post #9by Guest » 22.01.2005, 22:45

Have you changed the ini file to conform to your computer?
Also have you unziped the help files?
I assume you read the ReadMe..
Also there may be a missing file in setup sometimes it's dificult to determine if all files are there since they exist on mine and will run on mine without a missing file

Crash

Post #10by Guest » 22.01.2005, 22:52

At What point does the error happen? Do you ever see the splash screen?

Problem Solution

Post #11by Guest » 22.01.2005, 23:06

I think I see the problem, put a copy of CtrlCScript.ini in the Windows Directory.

I need to change the readme.

New ReadMe

Post #12by Guest » 22.01.2005, 23:30

http://www.scrtc.com/~jdicus/ReadMe.rtf

I will put changes to the readme here till we get this rolling.

The Program looks for it in the Windows directory and the setup program put it in the CtrlCScript\ directory. Sorry!

Vincent
Developer

Post #13by Vincent » 23.01.2005, 10:15

Ok, I've edited the CtrlCScript.ini and then I've put a copy of it in the Windows Directory. And.... it is working now !

I'm just working on a script, so I'll test the generator...

Thanks !

@+
Vincent
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

Newbe2

Great!

Post #14by Newbe2 » 23.01.2005, 12:53

Great!
I tested it on mine for quite a while and it blew my mind, when it didn't work! I had removed and installed several times with no problem, guess I should have deleted the windows INI.

I've added a message to the program informing which file is missing..

I'm adding a detailed check sum error error checking for scripts, Celestia lets us know if bad, but doesn't seem to show what is wrong.

Please post any suggestions like should the orbits be in the script window or in the database as it is now. I'm weighing what should be in the database and what shouldn't.

This being a Beta there will be a couple of changes as needed. There are a couple of commands which I'm not sure of the proper implementation key words starpoints, stardisks and fuzzypoints. What is the proper script for these.

Any help polishing this program will be appreciated.

There are a couple of script features I'd like to see in Celestia like sound , HTML links, integrated Photo display and movie capability which I'm looking into. Don't want much do I !?! :-)

I'm checking into .CELX but haven't seen what I am looking for yet.

I've been programming since 1961, even did the plug wire programming and machine language programing for IBM EAM machines, you guessed it old geezer. :-)

Oni2501

Post #15by Oni2501 » 26.01.2005, 01:52

Hey old geezer! :-) I remember the old plug boards and 60's IBM machines too, but I never was a programmer. We had (and used) some of that "old" equipment well into the late 80's!

Glad to see someone is attempting a scripting program for Celestia! It's really needed, by me if no one else :-) I also hope you'll be able to get it to play sounds/wav/mp3, etc. or at least pass stop/start/pause commands to another sound program.

You may already know this, but there are a few script examples in both CEL and CELX as well as documents located here:

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/scripts.php

Hope this will help! Good luck![/url]

newbe

CelPlayer

Post #16by newbe » 27.01.2005, 14:13

I have the CtrlCScript polished quite a bit since the version posted. I also have a CelPlayer program written which essentially feeds the Cel script to Celestia a section at a time.

I've had a lot of trouble syncing the two MS Media Player OCX plays the sound which communicates its status, so no problem there. The problem with Celestia is it doesn't have a sync output after script is done as far as I know. I've tried many methods to try to come up with a work around. Counting the wait seconds in the Cel script worked fair, but that forced adjustment to the Wait commands. That was to much trial and error writing the script.

Sounds weird but I had a dream one night about trying to open the Section of the Cel script in use by Celestia and using the file already open error routine to indicate whether the script was finished. This seems to work since it appears Celestia only reads in the script as needed.

I have a dog for a video card dumping most video work on the CPU so I can't judge the sound file loading response. It all seems to work fine though. I've been searching for a method to suspend Celestia long enough to load the sound file, no luck yet.

I retired from school last year and still keep in touch with the Science Teacher which is also interested in Celestia for the classroom. Printing data to the screen is fine but prerecorded sound tracks with a little music would have more impact, maybe a later version of Celestia will integrate sound, would be nice.

Oni2501

Post #17by Oni2501 » 28.01.2005, 03:25

Printing data to the screen is fine but prerecorded sound tracks with a little music would have more impact, maybe a later version of Celestia will integrate sound, would be nice.

My thoughts exactly! I've watched Celestia grow from version 1.2 something and sound or sound control is what I hope for in each realease, so far none :-( Now I find absolutely nothing wrong with screen text, it's a lot like watching the silent films of years gone by, but to have full sound control would be such a great leap! I like to play music while roaming the heavens and so far the pc has been able to do both at the same time. I do get a slight "stutter" when viewing massive objects with high-res textures. I think that can be fixed more or less by upgrading to a better graphics card.

newbe

New Version

Post #18by newbe » 05.02.2005, 15:26

I have removed the old version of CtrlCScript and will replace with a new version this week. I've done a lot of polishing on it and added Sound etc. Files are still compatible between versions.

I've tried every combo I could think of to see what produces the best results. For just writing scripts it works fine. When using the celplayer with sound Celestia places a heavy load on the CPU at least with my Graphics Card. An aging ATI.

The most professional results are obtained using Celestia and outputting a series of compressed AVI's, everything is smoother and solves the frame drop problems. After saving the AVI's import them into the MS Movie Maker and insert sound clips, still pictures, etc. on the storyboard. Output the finished project and it looks quite impressive.

Audio can be simply recorded by you on a mike or a Text 2 Speech ?€?TTS?€

Bob Hegwood
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #19by Bob Hegwood » 05.02.2005, 17:20

Just curious...

Why all the fuss about sound in Celestia?

"In space, no one can hear you scream!" :wink:

Take care, Bob
Bob Hegwood
Windows XP-SP2, 256Meg 1024x768 Resolution
Intel Celeron 1400 MHz CPU
Intel 82815 Graphics Controller
OpenGL Version: 1.1.2 - Build 4.13.01.3196
Celestia 1.4.0 Pre6 FT1

newbe

Sound

Post #20by newbe » 05.02.2005, 18:34

Except in the spaceship :D

. I'm not looking at this from the point of the Celestia program, which is great. I am interested in easy scripting, testing and presentation. A sound option in Celestia would be nice, kind of like 2D verses 3D. When I view a script running in Celestia with the text popping up on the screen its pre-talkies kind of like viewing the Twenties. I'm just spoiled and greedy I guess. We talked about using Celestia to fit a little Astronomy into the Science classroom. I don't believe it would hold the MTV generation's attention, they aren't into reading.

Return to “Scripting”