Hubble Ultra Deep Field Galaxies - add-on

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Hubble Ultra Deep Field Galaxies - add-on

Post #1by fsgregs » 03.05.2004, 00:20

Hi Folks:

I have created a billboard add-on that displays the amazing new Hubble Space Telescope ultra deep field image of 10,000 galaxies, in a spot in space only 3 arc minutes on a side. From Earth, the spot is essentially invisible. When you zoom or fly to it, the new Hubble Ultra Deep Field photo of galaxies appears.

This is what you will see when you get there.

This spot is about the size of a grain of sand held at arm's length, as you stand on Earth. It is M-I-N-D boggling.

The add-on properly positions the photo in space and sizes it properly. Look for it in the constellation of Fornax. To see it or go there, just type Hubble Ultra Deep Field in the Enter field. Read the enclosed "Installation file" that accompanies the zip file.

You can get the add-on here: http://www.fsgregs.org/celestia

HUDF Photo is copyright NASA and ESA

Enjoy

Frank

maxim
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #2by maxim » 03.05.2004, 14:55

Ah, I hoped it'll be one addon entry for every single galaxy, no? :wink:

maxim :D

Harry
With us: 21 years

Post #3by Harry » 03.05.2004, 16:00

Nice addon, the DFs are always amazing... 8O Using goto isn't that impressive, but zooming in is great.

One problem however (many addons get this wrong, this is not specifically aimed at you):
The filenames/directories in the zip-file have the wrong case (Models instead of models, etc.), which is a problem for Linux/Unix. I know it's difficult to get this right when using Windows (which has its own mind when it comes to upper-/lowercase), but it would be nice if people could have an eye on this...

Harald

Dora
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #4by Dora » 11.05.2004, 16:52

Hi,

thanks a lot! :-)

Ciao
Dora

Post #5by Guest » 23.12.2004, 16:29

Harry wrote:The filenames/directories in the zip-file have the wrong case (Models instead of models, etc.), which is a problem for Linux/Unix. I know it's difficult to get this right when using Windows (which has its own mind when it comes to upper-/lowercase), but it would be nice if people could have an eye on this...

Harald

I downloaded and installed he Hubble Ultra Deep Field add-on.
I am running Linux (Gentoo).

I renamed the following:
'Extras' to 'extras'
'Nebula' to 'nebula'
I left 'Hubble UDF' as it was.
'Models' to 'models'
'Textures' to 'textures'
'Medres' to 'medres'

After doing that, the add-on worked perfectly.

I have an additional question:

I downloaded the full-resolution jpeg picture of the Hubble UDF from

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsde ... age/a+warn

I am able to open the image with my computer.

How would I go about extending the Hubble UDF add-on so it displays the full-resolution image?

The image included in the add-on has a much smaller width and height, so simply overwriting the b33.jpg image might work, but the apparent surface the image will occupy in space will be quite small, won't it?

Thank you for the great add-on!

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #6by selden » 23.12.2004, 22:00

The full size NASA UDF image is 6200x6200.

You'll have to scale or trim it down to 4096x4096, 2048x2048, or 1024x1024, depending on the type of graphics card you have.

When used with Mesh 3D models, Celestia's surface texture images must be no larger than the size of your graphics card's texture buffer.
Selden

Topic author
fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #7by fsgregs » 24.12.2004, 13:31

HI. As Selden, said you could replace the existing image with one of a bigger diameter, but that will not increase its size in space. What controls the size of the image is its radius, not its graphic file diameter. If you want it to appear bigger, you can change its radius by opening its "dsc" file inside the add-on folder and changing "radius" to a bigger number.

:)

Frank

Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #8by Adirondack » 25.12.2004, 10:30

Am I dumb or what? :oops:
Can't find this add-on on your webpage, Frank ...

Adirondack
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)
The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

Guest Andy

Post #9by Guest Andy » 26.12.2004, 08:48

Same for me, unless it's included in one of the exercises.

danielj
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #10by danielj » 26.12.2004, 23:36

I also didn??t found.Is it really a new addon?I remember of a addon with similar name...

Post #11by Guest » 27.12.2004, 21:01

The add-on in question is the third one down from the top of the page of the following link:

Hubble Ultra Deep Field
http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catal ... ebulae.php

Return to “Add-on development”