Textures, Tips & Tricks "Platform" YES|NO|NEUTRAL

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.

Want a dedicated texture tips & tricks platform

yes
85%
neutral
12%
no
3%

Total votes: 34

Topic author
t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

Textures, Tips & Tricks "Platform" YES|NO|NEUTRAL

Post #1by t00fri » 02.07.2002, 16:24

I would be curious to get a concrete feeling, how many of you would be
interested in some sort of dedicated ``communication platform'' within
this forum, for (hires) texture matters,
notably including personal experiments, Internet info, GIMP/Photoshop
know-how etc. It might even be that a number of people would be just
interested in reading|learning about these matters without being able
to invest the necessary time for own experiments.

Image manipulation has become a very important issue, far beyond
applications related to Celestia. In particular
in relation to WEB graphics etc.

If more than just a few (that I know of course and communicate with
privately) are indeed interested, we could do some further joint planning
of how to improve such a platform. Otherwise, we just leave
things as they are...

In case of wider interest, also some sort of tutorial|HowTo with
tips & tricks and lots of other joint ventures come to mind.

So why don't you just drop a line, how you feel about this...
and|or push the polling button above.

Bye Fridger

Pixel
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #2by Pixel » 02.07.2002, 18:00

Yea, it should be done a long time before. May be in additional forum named "texture maniacs or simple - texturodiots" ;). Where someone goodminded samarian will collect and support all the tips and Q&A in a sticked topic.

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #3by Rassilon » 02.07.2002, 18:57

I would be willing to lend a hand in the tutorial dept...that is if anyone has the patience to tweak the living hell out of a texture like I do lol...My skills lie in Photoshop mainly...but I am getting rather good with GIMP and 3ds MAX...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Pixel
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #4by Pixel » 02.07.2002, 19:17

Rassilon wrote:I would be willing to lend a hand in the tutorial dept...that is if anyone has the patience to tweak the living hell out of a texture like I do lol...My skills lie in Photoshop mainly...but I am getting rather good with GIMP and 3ds MAX...

Can photoshop recognize row astronomical data in 'FITS' format? , for example found here:
ftp://ftp.lowell.edu/pub/ijw/

I doubt it. But GIMP can!!! I am totally puzzled.

Buzz

Post #5by Buzz » 02.07.2002, 19:21

I'm shopping right now, so I'll get some experience too!

chris
Site Admin

Post #6by chris » 02.07.2002, 19:50

If there are enough yes votes, I'll go ahead and create another forum specifically for discussing texture creation and manipulation.

--Chris

Size_Mick
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #7by Size_Mick » 02.07.2002, 19:56

I think it would be a good thing for Celestia in the long run anyhow, as systems get faster, video cards get more powerful, etc. and are able to take advantage of better textures. Future versions of Celestia might ultimately benefit from this endeavor. (Is it spelled "endeavour" in Queen's English?)

RonA

Post #8by RonA » 03.07.2002, 01:17

I voted 'yes'. Even though I am an experienced Photoshop user, that is not always very important with Celestia textures, and so a forum of this type sounds quite helpful. It may also streamline the process of sharing great new textures; or at least directing others to "roll their own".
RonA

ANDREA

Post #9by ANDREA » 03.07.2002, 09:16

Pixel wrote:
Rassilon wrote:I would be willing to lend a hand in the tutorial dept...that is if anyone has the patience to tweak the living hell out of a texture like I do lol...My skills lie in Photoshop mainly...but I am getting rather good with GIMP and 3ds MAX...

Can photoshop recognize row astronomical data in 'FITS' format? , for example found here:
ftp://ftp.lowell.edu/pub/ijw/

I doubt it. But GIMP can!!! I am totally puzzled.

I voted 'YES'.
regarding the capability of Photoshop to read .fts or .fit files, I have found a plug-in that allows it but, pay attention, it reduces the 16 bit to 8 bit format.
It's unable to read the 16 bit one.
So use GIMP.
By

ANDREA
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Muzzle
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #10by Muzzle » 10.07.2002, 23:01

Great idea. Since I am a newbe at this all help is welcome....
Muzzle

In space no one can hear you scream at your computer

Startyger1

good only if the thinking is cross platform

Post #11by Startyger1 » 26.07.2002, 09:57

im waiting for the mac os x version of celestia 1.2.4 supposed to be cocoa ...(great!!! cocoa is simply wooooooonderful) I am patiently waiting for the Jaguar release of the New OS... ive been using OS X (pronounced "10") since it first was released...officially, @ version 10.0 and have been impressed so far... X.2 will be amazing from all i see.... and with the Quartz extreme i expect great things.. even now.. the galaxies appear much more brightly on the mac version than the windows version.. so, until i saw the windows version i never understood what people were talking about...

The windows update does allow for the shadows of the planets on rings and of the moons on planets...

i wish there would be a way to "sync" the updated files with the ones already present in Celestia. Perhapes that is a solution... a "hotsync" for Celestia

Red

.fit

Post #12by Red » 19.08.2002, 07:04

Hey ANDREA

I made some ccd images on a 1 meter telescope a while back, but am unable to edit them in photoshop, the problem beinging i am cant to find a plug-in that reads .fit files..

do you know where i can find a plug-in?

thanks

Red

ANDREA

Post #13by ANDREA » 19.08.2002, 20:48

Red, I don't remember where I found it, but if you send me privately your e-mail, I'll send you the last release (it's still a Beta one), that allows the elaboration of .fit images (at 16 bit this time) with Photoshop.
My address is:

mc3657@mclink.it

Cheers

Andrea
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Return to “Celestia Users”