Help with Texture Seams

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
mmarable
With us: 21 years 2 months

Help with Texture Seams

Post #1by mmarable » 16.08.2004, 14:50

I'm looking for some advice. I'm working on trying to create some planet textures, in particular gas giants, and don't know how I can eliminate the seam where the texture wraps around.

No matter how hard I try to keep the patterns lined up on each end, when it wraps around it's very obvious that there is a seam there.

I've been searching around the forum here but haven't had a lot of luck yet, so I thought I'd ask while I keep searching.

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks
Mike

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #2by selden » 16.08.2004, 16:37

One thing you might try is to cut-and-paste the surface textures so that what used to be the sides becomes the center of the image. What used to be the center becomes the new, perfectly aligned edges. Then you can do whatever's appropriate to make the new, misaligned, center look good.
Selden

rthorvald
With us: 20 years 11 months

Re: Help with Texture Seams

Post #3by rthorvald » 16.08.2004, 17:01

mmarable wrote:I'm looking for some advice. I'm working on trying to create some planet textures, in particular gas giants, and don't know how I can eliminate the seam where the texture wraps around.

No matter how hard I try to keep the patterns lined up on each end, when it wraps around it's very obvious that there is a seam there.

1. Don?t use the scale canvas function in Photoshop without flattening the image first - if you do, the edges becomes slightly transparent, and the finished result gets a seam.

2. To eliminate seams on the map, duplicate it, and place the two parts exactly beside each other on the canvas. Use the Clone Brush to retouch the edges, then copy about 10 pixels into part 2 (from the right edge of Part1), and paste it in the left edge of Part 1. Then delete Part 2, and you should be Ok.

Another way, if the meridian isn?t important, is to just complete the map, and center the right edge on the canvas, then duplicate it and place the left edge of Part 2 beside it, then retouch the seam and flatten the image.

If you use Photoshop, use the Clone Stamp or the Smudge Tool to retouch; other paint programs ought to have something similar.

- rthorvald

diabloblanco17
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #4by diabloblanco17 » 16.08.2004, 20:14

If you're using Photoshop, the offset filter (Filter > Other > Offset) will get the seam into the middle of the image where you can work with it.
Visit my website for planet maps and textures: http://s92198053.onlinehome.us

maxim
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #5by maxim » 16.08.2004, 20:39

Mike,

there are special functions/filters for this work in most graphic applications, which wraps around an image as if it is projected onto a cylindric tube. So you can 'turn' your texture until the seam is somewhere in the middle of the pic and then work on it.

In photoshop you'll find it in 'filter->other->offset...' - check 'wrap around' and select 'horizontal [xxx] pixels right'. There is a similar function in gimp called with (in german) 'context menu->bild->transformationen->versatz...' or use shortcut 'shift-ctrl-O'

maxim

Return to “Textures”