Texture Generator?

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
Dollan
With us: 20 years 9 months

Texture Generator?

Post #1by Dollan » 19.07.2004, 06:04

Does anyone have the Texture Generator by Franz-Xaver Schweiger in a single zip file? I've tried downloading the various parts from this site: http://bruckner.50megs.com/Download/Program/ , but no matter what I try with Winzip, I can't get them to unpack.

Thanks...

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

FXS
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #2by FXS » 26.07.2004, 17:00

Hello,

You can download this programm here:

http://home.debitel.net/user/franz-xave ... erator.zip

bye,
FXS
(Franz-Xaver Schweiger)

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years

re

Post #3by John Van Vliet » 03.08.2004, 07:37

for a better Texture Generator see the Homepage for Torben ?gidius Mogensen
http://www.diku.dk/users/torbenm/
or for a windows biuld
http://johnscelestiapage.no-ip.com/filemgmt/visit.php?lid=64

hear are some ex.
and

Topic author
Dollan

Post #4by Dollan » 03.08.2004, 15:38

The second link appears to be dead, even if I remove some of the extra information. Is it only avaiable during certain times?

...John...
--Carl Sagan

RND
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #5by RND » 03.08.2004, 16:17

works ok here
� RND �
Insert RaNDom comment here

Topic author
Dollan

Post #6by Dollan » 03.08.2004, 16:22

Yeah, it's working now. In the best tradition of my Internet luck, I likely caught it for the three minutes that it was down... or for the three minutes that my server wasn't working. Ah well....

I got the files, though; looking forward to playing with them! hopefully, they can do rocky world textures, too!

...John...
--Carl Sagan

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #7by Rassilon » 03.08.2004, 21:08

The best way to generate rocky worlds...

Find a camera...

Take pictures of rocks...

Crop and resize to texture limits...

Use clone or Healing brush or equivalent in varius programs used for painting to remove seam...

Colorize to likeness required...

Use Flexify or polar coordinates to give you seamless poles...well as best Celestia can handle...

Done...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

John Van Vliet

re

Post #8by John Van Vliet » 03.08.2004, 22:13

well it will do a " mars"? sort of with no h20 i have only been playing with it for 1 day
and my server is not up 24/7
only between 11:00 am to 4:00 am EST

Topic author
Dollan

Post #9by Dollan » 03.08.2004, 23:49

I've yet to play with it, but I DID get the file, John. Thanks for pointing it out!

I've tried the "photograph the ground" method, but so far I really haven't found anything that will serve as a heavily cratered world. On the flip side, though, some images I took of the very fine-grained sediments we have here (which were deposited 78 million years ago on the shores of the intercontinental seaway, BTW) make for some VERY interesting "barren" planets. In these cases, though, it is a simple matter to clone in a few craters and properly colorize them.

Anyway, off to find a new FTP program (I have several) so I can upload my latest creations to the motherload.....

...John...
--Carl Sagan

selden
Developer

Post #10by selden » 03.08.2004, 23:58

For a cratered surface, have you tried an area of dusty ground (flour?) that's had water dripped on it?
Selden

Ptarmigan

Post #11by Ptarmigan » 04.08.2004, 02:07

john Van Vliet wrote:or for a windows biuld
Hi John, those pics look good,,, but ,,,
I downloaded the .zip, it extracted ok but when I run the .exe I get an error - CYGWIN1.DLL not found :(
Malcolm

Topic author
Dollan

Post #12by Dollan » 04.08.2004, 02:26

Hey, good thought! I'll try that in the next day or two....

...John...

selden wrote:For a cratered surface, have you tried an area of dusty ground (flour?) that's had water dripped on it?
--Carl Sagan

Topic author
Dollan

Post #13by Dollan » 04.08.2004, 02:28

Try doing a Google search with that exact file name in quotes. Odds are you'll find it fairly quickly. I'm not going to be able to test the program until tomorrow now, but if I need the file, I'll download it and temporarily throw it up on my web site (assuming it isn't too big).

...John...

Ptarmigan wrote:Hi John, those pics look good,,, but ,,,
I downloaded the .zip, it extracted ok but when I run the .exe I get an error - CYGWIN1.DLL not found :(
Malcolm
--Carl Sagan

Ptarmigan

Post #14by Ptarmigan » 04.08.2004, 02:58

Dollan wrote:Try doing a Google search
downloading "system" files makes me nervous ! but I updated my AVG and did as you suggest,
on my web site (assuming it isn't too big).
It is about 900k.
Now I've got 2 errors for my troubles !
One is a yellow -!- "CYGWIN1.DLL_getreent."
and a big red -X- "a device attached to the system is not functioning"

Now I'm really really nervous :evil:
I think I'm going to scrub this experiment till John comes back and tells us what his Cygwin compiler is doing.

Malcolm

Ptarmigan

Post #15by Ptarmigan » 04.08.2004, 03:20

Dollan wrote:but so far I really haven't found anything that will serve as a heavily cratered world.
Many years ago I had a screensaver on my old 386 which "splattered" (technical term :) ) the screen with random sized and positioned craters.
I wonder if it can be googled up ? it was by a fellow in Switzerland and he had another excellent freeware "Home Planet". If we can find it it might form the basis for a layer in Gimp or something ,,, I wonder,,,

(edit a few minutes later) Found it here : http://www.fourmilab.ch/craters/
but perhaps not suitable, it would need a lot of messing with your pics of rocks to hide the sharp regular edges of the craters generated by the screensaver.
Oh well, never mind, the site has a lot of very interesting astronomical and other stuff, well worth a look around.
meanwhile I'll go back to doing planetary textures using TheGimp plasma tile tool :)
(end edit)

Malcolm.

FXS
With us: 22 years 5 months

Re: re

Post #16by FXS » 04.08.2004, 10:08

john Van Vliet wrote:for a better Texture Generator see the Homepage for Torben ?gidius Mogensen
http://www.diku.dk/users/torbenm/
or for a windows biuld

hear are some ex.

Hello,

My Texturegenerator (that you don't like) is "not" for "earth-like" - planets, my Texturegenerator is for Gasgigants and Browndwarfes. My programm is not a competitor for this "earth-like" - Planettexturegenerators.

bye,
FXS

selden
Developer

Post #17by selden » 04.08.2004, 10:22

Malcolm,

DLLs aren't necessarily system files, they're "dynamically linked libraries" also known as "shared libraries". They save on memory because they're only loaded when they're needed and can be used by more than one program at the same time.

Cygwin is a free Linux-like environment for Windows. It doesn't get involved in any privileged system functions unless you install and configure those particular programs that come with Cygwin that can do that. See http://www.cygwin.com/

Apparently the program you downloaded was developed in a Cygwin environment and needs some of its libraries.

"device not functioning" probably is due to something else entirely :(
You need to open Windows' "device manager" and see what's having problems.
Selden

Ptarmigan

Post #18by Ptarmigan » 04.08.2004, 11:31

selden wrote:Apparently the program you downloaded was developed in a Cygwin environment and needs some of its libraries
Thanks Selden, yes I expect the dll should have been included in the zip distribution because not everyone will have Cygwin installed and it may be that the cygwin1.dll that I found could be a different version to that which John has.
selden wrote:"device not functioning" probably is due to something else entirely :(
You need to open Windows' "device manager" and see what's having problems.
Nothing obvious showing up in Device Manager !
I googled on device manager and found a page describing the symbols and error codes for malfunctioning devices but it didnt say where these would appear.
Presumably they would magically pop into view alongside one of the device entries in the list in the Device Manager window if one of them was malfunctioning ??
I've never seen that error box before (only when I try to run John's planet.exe, and it goes away if I remove the cygwin1.dll) So I'll remove John's magnum opus and go back to silent running ;-)

(Edit later thought) and I suppose that there may be something specific in John's compiled exe that goes looking for a device that he has on his machine and uses the dll to go looking for it ?
</clutching at straws !>

Malcolm.

selden
Developer

Post #19by selden » 04.08.2004, 12:10

Malcolm,

Yes, you'll see special icons next to devices that have problems. For example, I happen to have a video input card in my system that doesn't have XP drivers installed. Device Manager displays it under "Other devices" with a yellow questionmark.

I suspect your guess about John's hardware is right.
It could be that the program runs when you have the Cygwin library installed but then falls over when it can't find whatever hardware it thinks it needs.

Added later:
for what it's worth, once you have installed Cygwin and the development tools that come with it, it takes only seconds to build "planet".
Selden

Ptarmigan

Post #20by Ptarmigan » 04.08.2004, 12:38

FXS wrote:You can download this programm here:
http://home.debitel.net/user/franz-xave ... erator.zip

(Franz-Xaver Schweiger)
Thanks FranzXaver, I like your program ! I should have tried yours first !!(see my other posts :) )
It ran first time, as advertised, straight out of its box no problem. Nice one.

May we expect a 'terrestrial' type generator from you at some time in the future ? :D

Malcolm.

Return to “Textures”