SSC Solar System Generator

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

SSC Solar System Generator

Post #1by Rassilon » 22.03.2004, 03:14

Well I think I will make it official...It helps alot when your trying to enter in semi accurate orbital parameters and if your new to Celestia will introduce you to ssc coding...

It also uses cookies saving your last entries so when you return your work will still be there...I for one wanted this as it speeds up the process of building those pesky ssc files :)

Let me know of math errors!

http://www.celestialvisions.net/ssc.html
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

rjcraig
With us: 20 years 6 months

Generator

Post #2by rjcraig » 22.03.2004, 12:29

Very nice...just too bad you have to use IE for it to work! :wink:
(Tried OmniWeb & Safari--no go.)

Website looks good, too.

Ron

Post #3by Guest » 22.03.2004, 19:03

Rassilon:

What a timely godsend! I am about ready to get my Astronomy classes started on creating their own solar systems. I did not want to spend a lot of time teaching them ssc files. I wanted them to devote more time to creation and design, and to enjoy seeing their systems and debugging them. Your auto-generator is perfect for their use. Thanks so much.

Now, your generator assigns a name to each planet texture. Are those textures (just the textures) also available for download from your site anywhere? I know you have lots of planets already loaded into your solar systems, but they represent lots of planets and the files are large in size. If my students are to have a manageable # of textures to work with, it would be great to have just a medres folder worth of them available in one spot, with names matching the names your ssc generator assigns. Alternatively, I can load a bunch of textures from various add-ons onto each student computer and have them pick one and then change the names on your ssc file but ...

What would you suggest?

Frank

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #4by Rassilon » 22.03.2004, 22:18

rjcraig,

I am currently working on Netscape compatability which should allow you use this in those browsers...

Frank,

Thanks! The texture names are default values...You may change them to your leasure...The random elements of this generator will be added shortly to create an entire solar systen with one click of the mouse! I will try to include an editable texture name prefix soon...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

bh
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #5by bh » 23.03.2004, 00:13

Rass...will you be releasing this as a stand alone app...I've been using your previous releases of this with much enjoyment...although I can't seem to implement the ssc codes very easily into the latest (Celestia) release...I'm getting word wrap problems in notepad which is just too much for my meagre brain power!

I've also lost NGC1999 and 'Rosetta'...God! I sound like a newbie...and I probably am since I've spent so much time with the shuttle...well over a year now!

Great stuff...many thanks.

Regards...bh.

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #6by Rassilon » 23.03.2004, 00:51

All concerns above should be fixed...

To make as a stand alone app right click and view source for IE or right click and View Page Source for Mozilla/Netscape...Ctrl + A then Ctrl + C...open a text editor...Ctrl + C and save wherever you like whatever filename you like...If you want the funny images choose File and save as and save to location of desire...

As for my addons I have yet to upload the old ones up to sourceforge...I will hopefully this week!

bh
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #7by bh » 24.03.2004, 00:21

Thanks Rass...should have some time over the weekend, gonna give it a try!

Regards...bh.

Dan_38

Post #8by Dan_38 » 24.03.2004, 07:45

It works in the Opera browser.javascript:emoticon('8)')

Dan

eburacum45
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #9by eburacum45 » 24.03.2004, 11:38

Excellent!
I'll post a link at Orion's Arm Worldbuilding group, if that is ok;

I see you use the Dollan Planet classification scheme; this has always been my favorite.

although some new classes have since been added, like Panthallasan water worlds...
and Stygian (worlds around white dwarfs or pulsars)

I am not sure that moons of moons would be very common, as they haven't been found in our solar system...

granthutchison
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #10by granthutchison » 24.03.2004, 13:38

eburacum45 wrote:I am not sure that moons of moons would be very common, as they haven't been found in our solar system...
Moons of synchronously rotating moons are predicted to be very rare, since they would necessarily orbit faster than their parent rotated - that would induce the sort of tidally mediated orbital decay that Phobos is experiencing, so the orbiting body would quite soon (in astronomical terms) impact on the primary moon.

Grant

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #11by Rassilon » 24.03.2004, 22:08

Moons of moons is primarily used for small stellar systems wth in solar systems you create...Since Celestia doesnt support multiple light sources...I have been using emissives as binary stars...Planets of that binary star may have moons...Thats what the feature is for...

If you have an updated list of those dollan planet types...please post a link and I will update the generator!

Dollan
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #12by Dollan » 06.07.2004, 16:17

I just ran across this by accident, so here's the updated page for the PCL: http://www.onewest.net/~dollan/ARCpclindex.html

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #13by Rassilon » 07.07.2004, 13:12

Thank you Dollan...Best gotten from the main source ;)

Also if you need artwork...let me know...

Dollan

Post #14by Dollan » 07.07.2004, 14:17

Thanks for the offer! I will definitely keep you in mind. I'm slowly becoming more familiar with making my own ssc's, and will pretty soon be ready to make my own systems. So you never know....

...John...
--Carl Sagan

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #15by Rassilon » 07.07.2004, 17:59

John,

My newest project rndssc will allow you to create random star systems using the Dollan Planet Types you provided...That might be of interest/help to you when its released...Its looking like that could be by next week...but who knows...

Dollan

Post #16by Dollan » 07.07.2004, 18:02

Really! That would be of GREAT interest to me! Please, keep me posted!

Will there be any customizable setting? Such as if I wanted a random system placed in orbit of a known star?

...John...

Rassilon wrote:John,

My newest project rndssc will allow you to create random star systems using the Dollan Planet Types you provided...That might be of interest/help to you when its released...Its looking like that could be by next week...but who knows...
--Carl Sagan

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #17by Rassilon » 07.07.2004, 18:59

Dollan wrote:Really! That would be of GREAT interest to me! Please, keep me posted!

Will there be any customizable setting? Such as if I wanted a random system placed in orbit of a known star?

...John...

Rassilon wrote:John,

Yes...By providing either the HIP number or star name absolute magnitude and class in the config file you would have a random solar system generated in 0.01 seconds around that star...complete with textures...(textures will require a heafty download)

Dollan

Post #18by Dollan » 07.07.2004, 21:01

Well, I'd eventually replace the textures with my own, anyway. but this sounds like *precisely* what I need. Does it take into account the star type, arity, all of that?

...John...
--Carl Sagan

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #19by Rassilon » 08.07.2004, 01:37

Dollan wrote:Well, I'd eventually replace the textures with my own, anyway. but this sounds like *precisely* what I need. Does it take into account the star type, arity, all of that?

...John...

It does take into account star type...It also renders the atmospheres according to the star color including sunsets. It allows for phantasy star types which can be disabled and colors planet surface, speculars and atmospheres accordingly. It also includes asteroid fields and proto/accretion disks around high mass stars. It supports black holes/white holes (simply a collecting black hole) pulsars stellar nebula and neutron stars...all custom designed...and configurable to your tastes...

And I keep adding more and more...and teehee its only 300k exe!

Not sure what you mean by arity...

Dollan

Post #20by Dollan » 08.07.2004, 02:07

By arity, I mean binary, trinary, etc. For instance, only so many planets could exist within the alloted 4AU of either of the Alpha Centauri components.

Anyway, the more you describe this program, the more excited I am getting. I can't WAIT for it to be ready!

...John...
--Carl Sagan

Return to “Add-on development”