High Quality Texture Pack

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #101by Rassilon » 27.06.2002, 23:10

Thanks but your able to do the same ;)
Flip or offset? I would use offset maybe...Let me know what you did to get that straightened out...would be nice to see Jupiter as its supposed to be in the sky...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #102by t00fri » 27.06.2002, 23:17

Rassilon wrote:Thanks but your able to do the same ;)
Flip or offset? I would use offset maybe...Let me know what you did to get that straightened out...would be nice to see Jupiter as its supposed to be in the sky...

I am not 100% sure yet. I did a horizontal flip. And it looked right. But it needs checking. I'll let you know.

Did my Juppi-clouds arrive "safely"?

Bye Fridger

Rassilon

Post #103by Rassilon » 27.06.2002, 23:31

Ahh yes they add that extra touch...If you dont mind I would like to include as download in my solar system project... I still have to do Uranus and Neptune next...I also am going to redo Saturn...though I really like the look I gave saturn earlier...I suspect its not that real looking...just cinema ;)
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

t00fri
Developer

Post #104by t00fri » 27.06.2002, 23:38

Rassilon wrote:Ahh yes they add that extra touch...If you dont mind I would like to include as download in my solar system project... I still have to do Uranus and Neptune next...I also am going to redo Saturn...though I really like the look I gave saturn earlier...I suspect its not that real looking...just cinema ;)

Ah yes, I forgot: I also did an "unsharp masking" touch up on the 2k Juppi with GIMP default parameters. Makes it much more crisp.

Also I'd recommend to make the clouds rotate faster than 200, e.g. 500. For your phantasy stuff you may even go up to 7000;-). Looks cool.

Sure you may do with the clouds what you like. It's all yours..

Bye Fridger

phoenix
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #105by phoenix » 28.06.2002, 00:12

t00fri wrote:So, "long-time" transfers /out of my domain/ are hard. The network is continuously monitored by our computer department! It all works, if we find a "fast-upload" solution, like 10 minutes or so.

1 Mbit/s should be enough , i can offer that ;-)

greets
Phoenix
most recent celestia win32-SVN-build - use at your own risk (copy over existing 1.5.1 release)

Rassilon

Post #106by Rassilon » 28.06.2002, 01:13

t00fri wrote:
Rassilon wrote:Ahh yes they add that extra touch...If you dont mind I would like to include as download in my solar system project... I still have to do Uranus and Neptune next...I also am going to redo Saturn...though I really like the look I gave saturn earlier...I suspect its not that real looking...just cinema ;)

Ah yes, I forgot: I also did an "unsharp masking" touch up on the 2k Juppi with GIMP default parameters. Makes it much more crisp.

Also I'd recommend to make the clouds rotate faster than 200, e.g. 500. For your phantasy stuff you may even go up to 7000;-). Looks cool.

Sure you may do with the clouds what you like. It's all yours..

Bye Fridger

Actually I want to keep the solar system as realistic as possible...How fast are jupiters upper layer of clouds?

Commander David

Post #107by Commander David » 28.06.2002, 06:40

@ Rassilon

You can upload the Jupi Tex for all mankind :D
Yes the Tex may need a horizontal flip and the red spot must be a little mor left. (i have a vid from NASA that show me the right place of the Spot). Mail me if you want it, it`s not verry big ~400Kb.
hm..maybe i can correct this tex. can somwhere tell me how i can upload Screenshots?

Commander David

Post #108by Commander David » 28.06.2002, 07:21

i have fliped the jupitex and it shows like the screenshot of the triple shodow from the celestia home.http://home.stadt-geyer.de/g-p/terracon/3d%20zone%20seite%203.htm

maybe must the spot a little bit more left?

Axel

Post #109by Axel » 28.06.2002, 08:34

Hi Fridger, dear Celestians ;)

t00fri wrote:...I could transfer my stuff by DAT tape during next week to my office
computer and transfer the things by remote action from my computer at
home in reasonable chunks (20MB, say) to some ftp server /on a
weekend/. This would not work for the coming one, since I am very busy
finishing some conference paper where the deadline is this weekend.
But, I think triggering 20 MB transfers remotely on a Sunday could
work fine, even if the transfer is fairly slow.

Ok, left the circle, THANKS. :D This is exactly the solution I had hoped for. You are admittedly in a bad technical situation over there @DESY, but if we try hard we can find a solution for a lot of probs, including transfer and webspace.

That way you even might get some rest from newbies, as long as your next texture set isn't the next vast improvement again ;)

t00fri wrote:This still leaves me with the BIG problem what I should select from
the big mess of textures that I have produced here, meanwhile;-))

Well, this of course is absolutely up to you. Remember though, any high-quality texture set that'll use more of the abilities of the current cards will be a vast improvement for the broad public. Of course we have to check your textures with what's available as well, but we'd have a solid, albeit huge base to start with.

I'd also have a suggestion to solve our upload/download/bandwith problem:
(Chris said it would be most efficient if we'd spread the jpgs. The DXT-converter can't import them.)

So if possible, I'd suggest to convert your textures into as many jpgs as needed (e.g. one for the visible part, onother for the alpha-channel, you get it).

These could be sufficiently less huge and be uploaded fast. We'd also have less webspace probs and they could be downed faster.

:idea: On the local user's machine we could eventually script The GIMP (*X and Win flavor) to convert them back into the format the DXT-converter can import and feed the tool with them automatically.
That way we'd only have to do a Script-Fu, not to recompile the Dxt-converter.

What do you think?

CU, Axel

t00fri
Developer

Post #110by t00fri » 28.06.2002, 10:21

Axel wrote: You are admittedly in a bad technical situation over there @DESY, but
if we try hard we can find a solution for a lot of probs, including
transfer and webspace

We are in an /excellent/ technical situation, it's only security
considerations that make things complicated for non-professional
network actions.

Axel wrote:Of course we have to check your textures with what's available as
well, but we'd have a solid, albeit huge base to start with.

Who is "we"? I do not see what role you are playing during
this procedure? Are you seeing yourself as some sort of "manager"?;-)...

Since I know precisely what has to be done, I shall directly check with
Pixel what is best to add to his textures (The very long ones we
probably do not have to redouble). Then we open up a (second)
directory on the same ftp server (Smirnov or Phoenix), where Pixel's
textures are already. From there, people can then download whatever
they like. Any further action I consider too early. I shall add a
README file to my directory that briefly explains the contents. I
shall add some instructions for people to use or convert the files to other
formats inclusive DXT.

Before we are ready to produce a real "official" hires texture pack
for everyone, still a number of serious problems have to be solved
first, as I indicated in previous mails. Also, in the upcoming version
1.2.5, there are a number of changes that will affect the procedure.

Axel wrote:So if possible, I'd suggest to convert your textures into as many jpgs
as needed (e.g. one for the visible part, onother for the
alpha-channel, you get it).

These could be sufficiently less huge and be uploaded fast. We'd also have less
webspace probs and they could be downed faster.

On the local user's machine we could eventually script The GIMP (*X and Win
flavor) to convert them back into the format the DXT-converter can
import and feed the tool with them automatically.
That way we'd only have to do a Script-Fu, not to recompile the Dxt-converter.

I am not getting you: How again did you want ot avoid recompiling
nvdxt for LINUX by using a Script-Fu?

I thought you know that JPEG is NOT a lossless format and hence every
manipulation including additional JPEG 'saves' /seriously/ deteriorates the
image quality! Also I really then see very little differences anymore
to my original, preferred strategy to give people /help/ when doing
the required manipulations themselves. What you say in
addition, is to spare people any insight into what they are doing;-)
and use the scripting facilities of GIMP to simplify this
task.

The GIMP operations of assembling RGB and alpha channels, or bumpmap
RGB texture files with jpegs containing the level maps are
sufficiently complex|delicate that the coding of a script that /really works/
and gives satisfactory results, may take a fairly big (debugging)
effort. Why don't you start writing such a Script-Fu? After all, you stated
that you are sort of a GIMP expert. I may have a look into the
GIMP scripting language myself (I never use it, actually), in order to
arrive at a more qualified judgement about the feasibility of such a task.

Bye Fridger

phoenix

Post #111by phoenix » 28.06.2002, 11:17

t00fri wrote:

nvdxt works fine for me with Winex: http://www.transgaming.com/create_accnt ... SirPhoenix

using debian-unstable / kernel 2.4.19-preX
although i have problems converting very large textures which is a nvdxt problem, i crashes on both systems, win2k and linux...

greets
Phoenix
most recent celestia win32-SVN-build - use at your own risk (copy over existing 1.5.1 release)

t00fri
Developer

Post #112by t00fri » 28.06.2002, 11:31

phoenix wrote:
t00fri wrote:

nvdxt works fine for me with Winex: http://www.transgaming.com/create_accnt ... SirPhoenix

using debian-unstable / kernel 2.4.19-preX
although i have problems converting very large textures which is a nvdxt problem, i crashes on both systems, win2k and linux...

greets
Phoenix

Thats interesting, but what exactly is Winex? I never came across it. Is this a /stable/ Windows emulator? Is it free or commercial?

Of course, newbies who will run an off-the-shelf Linux distribution will not have Winex installed, I guess. It is not on SuSE as far as I know. Of course one can easily reboot and do the conversion under Windows, but that again is not a Newbie friendly procedure.

I got an older version of nvdxt from Pixel, who claims that it does NOT crash with very big textures. Do you want me to send you this tonight?

Bye Fridger
Last edited by t00fri on 28.06.2002, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

t00fri
Developer

Post #113by t00fri » 28.06.2002, 11:37

phoenix wrote:
t00fri wrote:So, "long-time" transfers /out of my domain/ are hard. The network is continuously monitored by our computer department! It all works, if we find a "fast-upload" solution, like 10 minutes or so.

1 Mbit/s should be enough , i can offer that ;-)

greets
Phoenix

Excellent! Can you give me some instruction where I can make a test upload in a quiet moment here from the office?

Thanks

Fridger

Axel

Post #114by Axel » 28.06.2002, 11:42

Hi,

t00fri wrote:We are in an /excellent/ technical situation...

That's really good news. I meant the bandwith problematic reg. private uploads you described multiple times.

t00fri wrote:Who is "we"? I do not see what role you are playing during

The concept of 'we' is doing something together, as opposed to the concept 'I' and can stand for every person willing to contribute. You probably overlooked I suggested yesterday to jointly do a texture *pack* compromised of a Zip which works *foolproof for everone*.

If you don't like the 'we' concept you are of course welcome to do it as you please. As long as everyone will be able to use the result.

t00fri wrote:Any further action I consider too early. I shall add a
formats inclusive DXT.

Thanks again for finally providing your textures.

If you give your ok, I'll do a temporarly (for 1.2.4) and 'inofficial', albeit accessible texturepack out of these.

Bye,
Axel

Thilo

Post #115by Thilo » 28.06.2002, 12:10

Like i've said ... i can maybe provide some webspace for you.

Post #116by Guest » 28.06.2002, 12:25

Axel wrote:Hi,

That's really good news. I meant the bandwith problematic reg. private uploads you described multiple times.

t00fri wrote:Who is "we"? I do not see what role you are playing during

The concept of 'we' is doing something together, as opposed to the concept 'I' and can stand for every person willing to contribute. You probably overlooked I suggested yesterday to jointly do a texture *pack* compromised of a Zip which works *foolproof for everone*.

If you don't like the 'we' concept you are of course welcome to do it as you please. As long as everyone will be able to use the result.

t00fri wrote:Any further action I consider too early. I shall add a
formats inclusive DXT.

Thanks again for finally providing your textures.

If you give your ok, I'll do a temporarly (for 1.2.4) and 'inofficial', albeit accessible texturepack out of these.

Bye,
Axel

We just need our basically excellent bandwidth for huge calculations (like gigantic Monte Carlo simulations generating millions of collisions of elementary particles). These are done under AFS mostly and require a lot of network traffic.

As to an 'inofficial' texture pack, this is fine with me, so long as you also deal with the complaints from people (Newbies) where it does not work...

I had a closer look into the Script-Fu syntax which is nothing but the scripting language "Scheme". In principle, very extended tasks may indeed be performed with it, but it requires good knowledge of Scheme. Do you know Scheme? I do not know Scheme explicitly, but I know sufficiently many related scripting languages including Lisp...

Perhaps there is someone among the users with some advanced knowledge of Scheme?? Raise your hands please;-))

The script installation is also not very complicated.

Such a general GIMP automation project somehow would suit me, since I am sure a number of people will get curious after installation. Then I still have a chance of "seducing" them to get to know a little more than just triggering the Script-Fu;-)...

Bye Fridger

t00fri
Developer

Post #117by t00fri » 28.06.2002, 12:29

Axel wrote:Hi,

Bye,
Axel

---------------------------------
This mail box is MALICIOUS!;-). Again is my reply attributed to Axel...So here it comes again
---------------------------------
We just need our basically excellent bandwidth for huge calculations (like gigantic Monte Carlo simulations generating millions of collisions of elementary particles). These are done under AFS mostly and require a lot of network traffic.

As to an 'inofficial' texture pack, this is fine with me, so long as you also deal with the complaints from people (Newbies) where it does not work...

I had a closer look into the Script-Fu syntax which is nothing but the scripting language "Scheme". In principle, very extended tasks may indeed be performed with it, but it requires good knowledge of Scheme. Do you know Scheme? I do not know Scheme explicitly, but I know sufficiently many related scripting languages including Lisp...

Perhaps there is someone among the users with some advanced knowledge of Scheme?? Raise your hands please;-))

The script installation is also not very complicated.

Such a general GIMP automation project somehow would suit me, since I am sure a number of people will get curious about GIMP after its installation which is compulsory. Then I still have a chance of "seducing" them to get to know a little more than just triggering the Script-Fu;-)...

Bye Fridger

phoenix

Post #118by phoenix » 28.06.2002, 12:34

t00fri wrote:Thats interesting, but what exactly is Winex? I never came across it. Is this a /stable/ Windows emulator? Is it free or commercial?

its a mostly stable "commercial" windows-emulator primary for gaming with directX 8.1 included.
but the registration costs only 5$/month with a minimum of 3 month.
i paid once 15$ (~17.32 EUR) and got all my favorite windows games and apps running under linux ;-) + very good and fast support + 3 winex-upgrades in 2 month for now.
so it is definitely worth the money!

t00fri wrote:Of course, newbies who will run an off-the-shelf Linux distribution will not have Winex installed, I guess. It is not on SuSE as far as I know. Of course one can easily reboot and do the conversion under Windows, but that again is not a Newbie friendly procedure.

if you're registred it comes for all common linux distributions (redhat/suse/debian/mandrake etc...)

the WineX CVS-source is for free at sourceforge but it lacks some copyrighted code and is mostly unstable. i tried to get it running for weeks until i bought the binarys from transgaming ;-)

t00fri wrote:I got an older version of nvdxt from Pixel, who claims that it does NOT crash with very big textures. Do you want me to send you this tonight?

Bye Fridger

yeah upload it together with your textures ;-)

greets
Phoenix

Thilo

Post #119by Thilo » 28.06.2002, 12:57

Actually i had no problems compiling winex out of CVS.
Although certain openGL programs had errors

phoenix

Post #120by phoenix » 28.06.2002, 13:02

Thilo wrote:Actually i had no problems compiling winex out of CVS.
Although certain openGL programs had errors

yeah compiling should be no problem but it doesn't run as stable as the binarys or it doesn't run at all... depends on the snapshot...

i tried the last one 2-3 month ago, then i registered for 3 month :D

give it a try
greets
Phoenix

Return to “Celestia Users”