Please report problems with the MacOS X version here.

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
HankR

Post #121by HankR » 20.06.2003, 19:14

Thanar,

I'm aware of the problem with the "nvidia combiners" render path. I suspected that this render path was not supportable on Mac OS X, but was just not being properly disabled. Your experience suggests I may be wrong about this, if as you say it works after switching render paths while viewing the sun. However, I just tried it on my system, and while the render path switches okay while viewing the sun, when I try to view earth the app crashes.

- Hank

thanar
With us: 21 years 3 months

Post #122by thanar » 20.06.2003, 20:46

Oooops... You are correct I guess... Sorry for not being completely sure before reporting... Anyway, the idea on sending an e-mail to Apple about the rest of freezing issues, still sounds nice.

...by the way:
I just installed OS X on a different partition, updated to 10.2.6 and tested Celestia to see if the Earth corruption texture and random freezes also occur. Guess what: They both do! So I guess there is no problem with my 5-years old OS X installation! It's all Apple's OpenGL fault! So I guess you should really suggest apple technicians to beta-test their drivers using Celestia! Unexpected system freezes guaranteed!

thanar

Post #123by thanar » 25.06.2003, 20:34

Check out the last message, in case you missed it...

...any info on a possible new version for Mac?

chadr

Thanks

Post #124by chadr » 27.06.2003, 00:38

I just wanted to say I've been using the osx ports of Celestia for about a week now and THANK YOU. What a wonderful application!

Chad

thanar

Celestia and Panther (10.3)

Post #125by thanar » 25.07.2003, 20:03

Hello again,

I just tried Celestia under OS X 10.3, the build that has leaked around... I finally found a way to duplicate the bug I referred to some time ago, the one that produces a KP:
Just open a few windows in various applications. Then, fire up Celestia. Play around with Expos? a little and then try to maximize the Celestia window! ...and Boom! (as Steve likes to say) you end up with a nice Kernel Panic!

This is under a fresh 10.3 installation on a dual G4 at 867 with half a gig of RAM...
If you are a Greek Macintosh user, join Hellenic Macintosh Users Group: http://www.HelMUG.gr

scienceman
With us: 21 years 2 months

Getting started with recent builds for Celestia MacOS X

Post #126by scienceman » 27.07.2003, 05:03

Do you have access also to the XCode / Developer Tools for that release? Note it will have a newer version of gcc and many libraries will change, so I'm surprised that the existing 1.2.5 app executable from the earlier versions of Mac OS X will work at all -- let's hear it for Mac backward compatibility!

If you have access to the newer tools, please jump in and help with testing compilation from scratch from the cvs version of the latest Mac OS X build... Get started by following the instructions at http://www.celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic ... &start=105 (the Mac OS X build forum thread, page 8).

Thanks, and look forward to seeing you in that forum.

tester

still the bugs

Post #127by tester » 08.11.2003, 23:55

The Wndows version is fine, the mac-version has a lot of bugs. Still no update sinths 2001? Come on!

- delete key doesn't work
- objects are hardy clickable
- a & z keys don't work
- numeral keypad selects planets, doesn't move the creen
- still no night lights on the earth
- home and end don't work on a laptop

Topic author
HankR

Post #128by HankR » 09.11.2003, 21:36

tester,

You might have better luck using the latest MacOS X version of Celestia (1.3.0), which has been available at SourceForge since 27 April 2003:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=21302

I hope to have a MacOS X version of 1.3.1 ready not long after the Windows version is final.

- Hank

julesstoop
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #129by julesstoop » 09.11.2003, 23:10

Strange bug under 10.3:

System: G400- stock ati-card (rage pro, 16MB) lots of ram. Celestia 1.3-pre

In 10.2: Nightside illumination didn't display at all, in 10.3 the texture shows up, but only on the day-side!
Lapinism matters!
http://settuno.com/

Matt McIrvin
With us: 22 years 6 months

Clipping and vertex programs under Panther

Post #130by Matt McIrvin » 20.11.2003, 06:29

I also see a strange problem after installing Panther: polygons are clipped incorrectly at the edge of the window when using the "OpenGL vertex program" rendering mode. It's as if all the vertices of the polygon are snapped to the edge of the screen. This is particularly noticeable when viewing Saturn's rings: when they are clipped by the edge of the screen they develop enormous, grotesque gaps. But it's subtly visible even when looking at the Earth. The simpler rendering modes work fine.

On the other hand, Saturn's rings now project shadows on Saturn (but not vice versa-- that's never worked). And the mangled Earth textures at certain window sizes seem to have gone away, though they could have just not put in an appearance yet.

I've got an ATI Radeon 7500, 32 MB.

Ethan Fremen

No screen capture in os x version of celestia?

Post #131by Ethan Fremen » 22.11.2003, 18:27

There doesn't seem to be a screen capture facility in celestia 1.3.0 for the mac ... I was hoping to get a time-series of Mars from Phobos. Is this likely to make it into the 1.3.1 version?

Matt McIrvin

Re: Clipping and vertex programs under Panther

Post #132by Matt McIrvin » 23.11.2003, 23:03

Matt McIrvin wrote:I also see a strange problem after installing Panther: polygons are clipped incorrectly at the edge of the window when using the "OpenGL vertex program" rendering mode. It's as if all the vertices of the polygon are snapped to the edge of the screen.

Here's a picture of the bug in action:

http://world.std.com/~mmcirvin/saturn_clip.jpg

Gnarly, eh? I think it's probably a bug in the Panther OpenGL driver for the Radeon.

Matt McIrvin

Re: No screen capture in os x version of celestia?

Post #133by Matt McIrvin » 23.11.2003, 23:08

Ethan Fremen wrote:There doesn't seem to be a screen capture facility in celestia 1.3.0 for the mac ... I was hoping to get a time-series of Mars from Phobos. Is this likely to make it into the 1.3.1 version?

I just use Grab for this purpose (under Applications/Utilities). Curiously, the window-grab function doesn't seem to work on Celestia, but you can grab the whole screen and trim the image down later.

There are also keystroke shortcuts for doing this; Command-Shift-3 to grab the screen, Command-Shift-4 for partial shots. Mac Help says more.

Re: Clipping and vertex programs under Panther

Post #134by Guest » 18.12.2003, 03:31

Matt McIrvin wrote:Here's a picture of the bug in action:

http://world.std.com/~mmcirvin/saturn_clip.jpg

Gnarly, eh? I think it's probably a bug in the Panther OpenGL driver for the Radeon.

I'm happy to report that the OS 10.3.2 update fixed this one. It was apparently indeed a driver bug.

Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #135by Cham » 14.01.2004, 23:49

Hello all.

Maybe this is old news, but anyway ... (excuse me for my bad English).

Celestia is forgeting some of his preferences after quit. Each time I launch Celestia, I have to reset some preferences. Some labels (comets, for example) are turning themselves to off. I set everything to On and max resolution. Textures are always turning to low resolution, after quit.

In high resolution mode, I get a black and white earth.

Planets orbits, when in close position, are jumping up and down constantly. They appears to be unstable.

Changing the video mode in the preferences do nothing or may unexpectedly quit Celestia.

Some times, textures are badly clipped on Io.

The navigation window (L) doesn't always work properly. From times to times, it do nothing and I have to click the button again before it works.

I run Celestia on a Mac dual 867 MHz, NVidia's GeForce 4 MX (32 MB vram), 1 full GB ram, Mac OS X Panther 10.3.2.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

TheBends

MacAlly Joystick

Post #136by TheBends » 18.01.2004, 20:55

Help...

have an istick, running OS 10.3, stick doesn't work....any suggestions?

Cham M

Post #137by Cham » 24.01.2004, 23:17

Under Panther 10.3.2, when I take a screen shot of a Celestia scene (Command-Shift-3, or the like), I only get the stars, no planets, no bodies ! Only stars. However, if I put Celestia in the background by bringing another app to the front (no windows opened), I can take a full screen shot of the Celestia's scene with all the bodies showing. I can take a picture of a Celestia scene only if I put Celestia in the back. What gives ?

Is there a way, within Celestia, to take a screen shot without using the system's option (command-shift-3) ?
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

jbaxter
With us: 20 years 7 months

White-screen problem on Powerbook G3 Lombard

Post #138by jbaxter » 11.02.2004, 20:58

Hello,

First of all, I want to say thanks to the team - Celestia is one of the most beautiful programs I have ever seen! I am running Celestia on a PC laptop and a Macintosh PowerPC G4 quite successfully. Celestia is a wonderful teaching tool and an absolute joy to "fly".

I have been trying to get Celestia running on a PowerBook G3 (Bronze, or "Lombard" 333 MHz system). I am running Jaguar OS X v 10.2.8. I do not run a lot of games, and have not encountered other graphics issues.

I am seeing the "whitescreen" symptom that Bodkin and GeraldJ mentioned on startup. The Celestia window is all white, and will accumulate black areas, random pixels, etc. if made smaller. If made larger, at some point it goes all black.

I believe that this is related to the ATI Rage Pro video card in the Lombard. I did try reinstalling the OS X upgrades, to try to ensure that the video drivers are correct. I also installed Marc Liyanage's "Quartz Extreme Check 1.2" and it indicates that "Display 1 is not accelerated".

I poked around on the ATI site looking for updated drivers etc. I got confused.

Is it possible to run OS X Celestia on a G3 Lombard? Or is the video hardware simply too old?

I want to eventually contribute to this wonderful program in some way.

Thanks ain advance for any ideas, and many thanks to everyone who has made the wonderful software a (virtual) reality.

Best,
-John Baxter
jbaxter@voicenet.com

Leo80

Mac OSX and .dds files

Post #139by Leo80 » 02.03.2004, 21:08

I am enjoyed to play with Celestia for mac OS X. I have the last one 1.3.1-1 and OSX 10.2.8

I don't know if it is possible to use .dds files with mac osx ? If yes, how is it possible ?

Is there DirectX for mac os x ? or for unix ? or is there something like DirectX for mac ?

Thanks.

Leo80
With us: 20 years 6 months

Mac OSX and .dds files

Post #140by Leo80 » 02.03.2004, 21:15

I am enjoyed to play with Celestia for mac OS X. I have the last one 1.3.1-1 and OSX 10.2.8

I don't know if it is possible to use .dds files with mac osx ? If yes, how is it possible ?

Is there DirectX for mac os x ? or for unix ? or is there something like DirectX for mac ?

Thanks.

Return to “Bugs”