Creating Planets around Stars

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
CelestiaFan
With us: 22 years 3 months

Creating Planets around Stars

Post #1by CelestiaFan » 07.06.2002, 09:00

Hello, how can I creat a planet or Place a planet around any start I choose? Any suggestions, thanks! :)
Brian Martin

Post #2by Guest » 07.06.2002, 10:13

You need to make an ssc file and place it in the extras directory. Knowing very little about orbital data I can't help much with what you need to enter.... try copying existing data from, say, the Solarys.ssc file and pasting into a new blank text document, modify as needed, save as whatever.ssc and place in extras directory.

(Mad Boris, Again)

Now stop asking questions and go and play with the program ! :D

Mikeydude750
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #3by Mikeydude750 » 07.06.2002, 10:39

Some one should make a program that has a template for a planet's data file, and lets you enter variables, and it should also explain each variable to you as well.

Could this be done? Or could someone at least post a template for the data file?

Rassilon

Post #4by Rassilon » 07.06.2002, 14:41

That would be easy...It could be a GUI that allows the user to enter data and it outputs a ssc file...or could append to an existing ssc file...maybe I'll write a front end for it...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Mikeydude750

Post #5by Mikeydude750 » 07.06.2002, 18:15

Rassilon wrote:That would be easy...It could be a GUI that allows the user to enter data and it outputs a ssc file...or could append to an existing ssc file...maybe I'll write a front end for it...

Yeah, I would do it, but sadly, I don't know how to code anything.

FXS
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #6by FXS » 08.06.2002, 08:18

I think i could make a solarsystem editor for windows.

I want make a gigant solarsystem around "gamma velorum" with more than 32 or 50 planets. And some planetes should have many moons and some moons should have sub-moons,...

Such projects are only possible with solarsystemeditors.

I can make it only for windows, because i have only windows PCs and i have only a licence for GFA-Basic 32 for windows. I made 2 ssc - file generators (venus-ring-generator (a test for a real asteroid-ring, venus is smal enough for 1000 asteroids) and earth 365 (every day one earth)) and i make a planettexturegenerator for gasgigants and browndwarfes. All generatet files should work with all celestia versions. You can download it at: http://bruckner.homelinux.net/addons.html

bye,
Franz-Xaver Schweiger

Mikeydude750

Post #7by Mikeydude750 » 08.06.2002, 09:51

FXS wrote:I think i could make a solarsystem editor for windows.

I want make a gigant solarsystem around "gamma velorum" with more than 32 or 50 planets. And some planetes should have many moons and some moons should have sub-moons,...

Such projects are only possible with solarsystemeditors.

I can make it only for windows, because i have only windows PCs and i have only a licence for GFA-Basic 32 for windows. I made 2 ssc - file generators (venus-ring-generator (a test for a real asteroid-ring, venus is smal enough for 1000 asteroids) and earth 365 (every day one earth)) and i make a planettexturegenerator for gasgigants and browndwarfes. All generatet files should work with all celestia versions. You can download it at: http://bruckner.homelinux.net/addons.html

bye,
Franz-Xaver Schweiger

Ok. Thank you for accepting the project, as I cannot do it myself.

Axel

Solar System editors

Post #8by Axel » 08.06.2002, 11:39

Hi,

intersting topic :) I once did a solar system editor for another similar sim (http://www.openuniverse.org). It's temporaryliy halted so I did so as well.

I loaded the text file, parsed it an put all objects into an exporer alike tree-view. You could select, create, modify and delete them as any file.
The right pane of the window showed all properties of the object with select boxes and lists.

So you couldn't do any mistakes having not the full knowledge about palentary system creation.

Reg.: GFA32 basic it seems to be a bit outdated by now and lacks slightly in the GUI department. I used Delphi (Object Pascal) wich sits on top of the win32 api and can use all system classes and objects. No pointers, though :lol:

Since it's available for Linux as well and fully compatible on both platforms I highly recommend this for every old Basic guru. Migration is easy, good IDE is there and OpenGL 3D programming is a snap. So you can display your planet systems inside your app in 3d.

http://www.borland.com
http://www.glscene.org

If you wan't more info or help, please reply here.

CU, Axel

Return to “Development”