Unlimited Detail

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
Topic author
VikingTechJPL
With us: 14 years 6 months

Unlimited Detail

Post #1by VikingTechJPL » 19.03.2010, 16:09

This looks fascinating. Is it the future of Celestia?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ATtrIm ... tube_gdata

Chris, do ATI and NVidea have anything similar?
1.6.1, Dell Studio XPS, AMD 2.7 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win 7 64-bit, ATI Radeon HD 5670
1.6.0, Dell Inspiron 1720, Intel Core Duo 2 Ghz, 3 GB RAM, Win Vista, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M G/GT
1.4.1, Dell Dimension 4700, Pent-4 2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM, Win XP SP2, Radeon X300

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 11 months

Re: Unlimited Detail

Post #2by BobHegwood » 20.03.2010, 10:58

VikingTechJPL wrote:This looks fascinating. Is it the future of Celestia?

It may be...
When we get a 264=bit version of Celestia, and we can get a much quicker
disk access, and much quicker versions of PC's... Yes?

I am waiting with not much nreath now cause I'm getting much older, :D

Thanks, Brain-Dead :wink:
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #3by chris » 20.03.2010, 17:44

VikingTechJPL wrote:This looks fascinating. Is it the future of Celestia?

By the end of the video, I was ready to punch the narrator for his smugness. I think that the technology being demonstrated here is called a 'sparse voxel octree.' It's useful for some applications, such as in medical imagery. Nvidia and ATI have created OpenGL and Direct3D based demos that do ray-tracing of voxel octrees, though their GPUs have no hardware specifically designed to accelerate it.

The video set off my BS detector. Although the narrator insinuated that he was giving a technical description of the technology, he actually failed to provide any information that would convince someone well-versed in 3D graphics that he had something new. I regard any claims about the imminent 'death of the polygon' in 3D graphics with almost as much skepticism as I have for perpetual motion machines. At best, the guy has a clever technique that will work for some data sets and some applications--notice that the scenes in the video were completely static. Polygonal representations may eventually be replaced as the dominant representation for 3D objects in computer graphics, but it will happen incrementally as shortcomings of alternate representations are gradually overcome.

I think that the 3D graphics community needs its own version of physicist John Baez's Crackpot Index:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html

--Chris

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #4by t00fri » 20.03.2010, 19:17

My God I do agree with Chris here.
This looks fascinating. Is it the future of Celestia?
Incidentally, Celestia's purpose is to visualize the Universe and thus Nature. Hence for Celestia the limitation of detail will always reside in a remaining ignorance about the secrets of Nature and NOT in the fate of polygon tesselations the narrator was smugly lecturing about...

Fridger

Topic author
VikingTechJPL
With us: 14 years 6 months

Post #5by VikingTechJPL » 20.03.2010, 20:35

Chris,

As you are "someone in the know", thanks for your insights.

What do you think of a "Crackpot Index" sticky here in Petit Bistro Entropy, where things like this could be moved? Or delete them altogether for that matter.

Gary
1.6.1, Dell Studio XPS, AMD 2.7 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win 7 64-bit, ATI Radeon HD 5670
1.6.0, Dell Inspiron 1720, Intel Core Duo 2 Ghz, 3 GB RAM, Win Vista, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M G/GT
1.4.1, Dell Dimension 4700, Pent-4 2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM, Win XP SP2, Radeon X300

Hungry4info
With us: 19 years

Post #6by Hungry4info » 21.03.2010, 20:36

chris wrote:The video set off my BS detector.
Likewise, and for the same reason.
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #7by Chuft-Captain » 25.03.2010, 04:12

My BS detector was activated when he started by saying "he had been given 5 minutes, no more, to explain what unlimited detail was"..... and yet the video is 8:04. 8) :mrgreen:
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

Hungry4info
With us: 19 years

Post #8by Hungry4info » 25.03.2010, 07:56

Chuft-Captain wrote:My BS detector was activated when he started by saying "he had been given 5 minutes, no more, to explain what unlimited detail was"..... and yet the video is 8:04. 8) :mrgreen:

Hahaha, yes I noticed that too!
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

MKruer
With us: 22 years

Post #9by MKruer » 06.04.2010, 22:29

The technology been here for a while it is called NURBS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NURBS. The problem is that most developers avoid it like the plague because though they may understand it, find it to difficult to use (create with) or the results are not what they expect, being that from the artist side if it looks correct, it is correct and form the engineers side, just because it make look correct may not mean it is correct.

To a certain extent Celestia is already using the NURBS concept with the planets; Planets are just the mathematical formula to generate the mesh for the textures to be displayed. All you have to do to twaek the code is to make each poly smaller then a pixel and you have effectively accomplished the same thing.

Hey Chris, you know there are only 1.33*10^50 estimated atoms on the earth, that translates in to roughly a 5.1*10^16 sized box. That means that you only need a 686kB per "atom" (assuming, 3 vector dimension and 32bit color) so you only need 7.7*10^31 YottaBytes (I would have used something larger but the SI stops at yotta for now) worth a drive space. get cracking :lol: :mrgreen:

There you go, unlimited detail providing that you have the space for it.

MKruer
With us: 22 years

Post #10by MKruer » 06.04.2010, 22:35

chris wrote:I think that the 3D graphics community needs its own version of physicist John Baez's Crackpot Index:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html

--Chris

Chris, I am up to 523 points on the system, this means I am pretty much screwed right :lol:

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 6 months

Post #11by Fenerit » 06.04.2010, 22:52

t00fri wrote: Hence for Celestia the limitation of detail will always reside in a remaining ignorance about the secrets of Nature and NOT in the fate of polygon tesselations the narrator was smugly lecturing about...

Fridger

Is interesting also how in declaring the end of polygons its tecnology doesn't show any example of a "polygonal" object; in the sense of a "squared" object made with its tecnology. So one can wonder whether its tecnology is able of replicate even a simple cube, and then is futile to shows all that is "not polygonal". The Sierpinsky's triangle made with demons doesn't make sense. One should see a piramid made of piramids.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Celestial_Planets
With us: 17 years 11 months

Post #12by Celestial_Planets » 09.04.2010, 01:44

Guys. Technology will advance over the years. Maybe someday, humanity will look back at today's technology and say "MAN, HAVE WE ADVANCED!"
Right now, we have the Terabyte Hard Drive being sold in stores, computers that act as supercomputers. In the 1980s, supercomputers were roughly the size of today's normal computers. Who knows? Maybe someday, we will have more technological advances.

Pyramids made of Pyramids: That's something to talk about.

NOTE: This is a message from Celestial_Planets

Pyramid of Pyramids?!! HA!! This is funny!

P.S. What about a Pyramid of Planets?

I've been gone way too long, and now its time I reappear (although sporadically).
My First Computer:

448 MB of RAM
Speed: 2,540 ft/s
71.2 GB Space
Celestia 1.4.1
Windows XP Service Pack 2

My Current Computer:

16 GB RAM
Speed: 98,500 mi/s
iMac 21.5"
Mac OS X Lion
500 GB HD
Celestia 1.6.1

Greetings from the Celestia Universe

Chuft-Captain

Post #13by Chuft-Captain » 09.04.2010, 06:49

Celestial_Planets wrote:In the 1980s, supercomputers were roughly the size of today's normal computers. Who knows? Maybe someday, we will have more technological advances.
You've got this a little wrong. Perhaps what you meant to say is that a desktop computer of today is the same speed or faster than a 1980s supercomputer?

In the 1980s supercomputers typically were housed in one or several cabinets the size of a refrigerator. I believe that this is pretty much still true of today's super-computers, except that there's a lot more computing power in the cabinet these days!!

Read about Moores Law here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law

Read about early PC's here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_computer#1980s

Interestingly, although Moores Law has proven to be remarkably accurate over the last 30-40 years, predictions are that we are approaching a crunch point sometime in the next 5-10 years where the limits of silicon miniaturization will be reached. This is when it is no longer technically feasible or economic to miniaturize circuits (on silicon) any further.

For Moores Law to continue at the usual (or faster) rate, the chip manufacturers at some time in the near future will need to completely re-tool their factories to use new materials other than silicon. (In the interim, to buy time they will find alternative ways to optimize the computing architecture, like implementing common algorithms with logic gates rather than in software -- this is already happening).
There are a number of candidate replacement materials for silicon on the horizon, but as the factories cost billions of dollars to re-tool, the manufacturers will want to make the right choice!
Last edited by Chuft-Captain on 09.04.2010, 14:16, edited 2 times in total.
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 6 months

Post #14by Fenerit » 09.04.2010, 13:35

Set apart the super-computers, just a workstation for game developing is already much more powerful of the common desktops, if such tecnology exist, it will be employed and tested on such machines; then knowing how the games' developing is open and fast to accept the newness, probably it should have been ready yet. :?:
Never at rest.
Massimo

Celestial_Planets

Post #15by Celestial_Planets » 09.04.2010, 14:02

I never knew we would be approaching a crunch point in the years 2015-2020. That's something new.

Something elso of note is the relationship between Hard Drive Capacity, and time. This is titled "Hard Drive Capacity over time"

Basically, since 1980, mankind has made great advancements in the amount of hard drive space. They have gotten from a 1 MB hard drive space to a 1 TB (Terabyte) hard drive space in just 30 years. Maybe in the next 10 years, computers will have petabytes of disk space.

That's all.

Celestial_Planets.
My First Computer:

448 MB of RAM
71.2 GB Space
Celestia 1.4.1

My Current Computer:

16 GB RAM
iMac 21.5"
Mac OS X Lion
500 GB HD
Celestia 1.6.1

Greetings from the Celestia Universe

Chuft-Captain

Post #16by Chuft-Captain » 09.04.2010, 14:39

I never knew we would be approaching a crunch point in the years 2015-2020. That's something new.
It's not actually new. It's been known for many years that we'd reach this point eventually, as it's based on limitations of the physics involved which has been known for a long time.

However, I wouldn't worry too much about this though if I was you....

...The reality is that a large part of the reason that Moores Law has been so uncannily accurate over the years is that the chip-makers have historically based their business model, all their forward planning, setting of targets, etc, on keeping up with Moores Law. So it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophesy because the chip business actually aims to achieve Moores Law in order to remain competitive. It's worth noting also that the prediction was made by one of the prime-movers of the industry.
( Moore himself was the head of Intel when he made this prediction, so no doubt his business plans factored into his prediction / observation. :wink: )
ie. It's no accident that Moores Law has been so accurate over time...

At the end of the day, the economics and business plans of the chip industry is predicated on keeping up with Moores Law, so by hook or by crook, whether it's new materials, or other advances, ...they'll find a way to keep up, or go out of business trying! :lol:

Celestial_Planets

Post #17by Celestial_Planets » 11.04.2010, 00:02

I knew it. Moores law is the universal component of technology.

When I said it was something new, I meant it was something new to me. I never knew about it until now.

Thanks for the information, Chuft-Captain. I really appreciated it.
My First Computer:

448 MB of RAM
71.2 GB Space
Celestia 1.4.1

My Current Computer:

16 GB RAM
iMac 21.5"
Mac OS X Lion
500 GB HD