A picture of Apollo 11 on July 4, 1776

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
daesotho

Post #21by daesotho » 16.02.2003, 00:56

Again, I find myself defending my art from political attacks by the left. I find this ironic, because usually the left protects art from the censoring right, but I see that you leftists are pro-censorship too.
Leave God out of the political debate. First of all, I would like to say once again that there was not political debate to leave God out of before you guys started flaming me. And I called upon my heavenly Father not to ask him to smite you, or protect weak arguments, but in the same spirit as Homer called upon the Muses - to help him write with clarity and passion. Because I feel clarity and passion about this issue, that this is a forum for "discussing astronomy and space exploration as pertains to celestia" (chris), and "not a platform for airing your political views or" - and here I will break with Chris as the facts of the matter dictate - blustery pacifism. Which, incidentally, the author finds offensive.

Yes, O Anonymous Celestiauser, this program is used by non-Americans, this forum is used by non-Americans, and I am well aware that there are more than just Americans and American-haters. But wouldn't you feel the same way if it was something your people did?

I think that if you guys don't want a political debate, you should stop debating politically. I have yet to have one post -one post- saying that the Earth is mostly dark in the picture, and that the angle on the spaceship looks stupid.

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #22by Rassilon » 16.02.2003, 02:36

Well since this is still on the top of the board ill post this...no more responses will bury this thread...I think most know that already...

I hate politics...I dont care if its iraq or sudam hussains camel americans hate I dont give a rats ass...this is a forum for Celestia and not politics...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Luke Vyrm

Post #23by Luke Vyrm » 16.02.2003, 15:15

How about you talk about your politics here, daesotho:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&l ... .moderated

Bug them- I mean, who actually thinks Kirk and Spock where in love? Jeez, stupid star trek fans.

And not all americans belive war with Iraq'll be a good thing, I myself included. Yes, Daesotho, your picture is pretty, and somewhat amusing.
Now lets all let this thread end, and have it sink into the bitbucket.

-Luke Vyrm
Http://www.geocities.com/lukevyrm2000

Redfish
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #24by Redfish » 16.02.2003, 20:22

I think this clearly shows that we need more moderators in this forum.

Post #25by Guest » 17.02.2003, 18:14

Now lets all let this thread end, and have it sink into the bitbucket.

I agree, so you'll have to ignore the irony of me posting a reply (sorry!).

Space is the ultimate in neutral territory. Let's not corrupt it with out petty nationalisms, American or otherwise. Daesotho, why are you posting such a patriotic post on an international forum ? Surely you realise that that's bound to cause offence ? Celestia is not a tool to indoctrinate people. And don't forget, the Apollo astronauts went in peace for all mankind. And that bit about "muslims jealous of our freedom" - sorry but that's utter rot. Please be aware that you really do sound eerily like Dubya.

Although I think your post was garbage, I can also see why you, an American might find it inspiring. You should NOT be censored. Volataire said "I disagree with what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it", and he was right. (of course if you post offensive language etc that's different).

alegator
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #26by alegator » 20.02.2003, 09:39

Daesotho, this picture is for you, enjoy!
http://ar.geocities.com/contactale/apollo11.JPG

alegator

Post #27by alegator » 20.02.2003, 09:53

Anonymous said:
Space is the ultimate in neutral territory.

Then he went on saying:
And don't forget, the Apollo astronauts went in peace for all mankind.

Anonymous, you're 100% right on that! It is precisely because the (american) Apollo astronauts reached the moon and went in peace for all mankind that space is the ultimate in neutral territory!!!!!!!

Now, let's speculate what would have happened to space if it had been explored firstly by some other nation ruled by a dictator like Hitler or by some nation full of nationalistic chauvinism, would they have sent a message of peace to all mankind? Would it still be the "ultimate in neutral territory"????
Food for your thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Long live freedom and democracy everywhere!

63RD_Ian
With us: 21 years 7 months

Post #28by 63RD_Ian » 23.02.2003, 19:44

Wow nasty comments......

would these founding fathers be the same ones who wiped out the native americans??

63rd_Ian

Post #29by Guest » 25.02.2003, 22:41

Oh no.... now we hear from the cheese eating surrender monkey :lol:

Post #30by Guest » 26.02.2003, 13:30

Well I don't know anything about surrending monkeys, even those who eat cheese, (what the heck was that ?!??) but....

alegator wrote :
Now, let's speculate what would have happened to space if it had been explored firstly by some other nation ruled by a dictator like Hitler or by some nation full of nationalistic chauvinism, would they have sent a message of peace to all mankind? Would it still be the "ultimate in neutral territory"????
Food for your thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definately food for thought. But space is quite big, so no one nation would ever be able to claim all of it. At least I hope not.

Darkmiss
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #31by Darkmiss » 26.02.2003, 21:38

Why has this post not been closed, locked, or deleted by now.

is this anonymous person acually interested in Celestia
or just here to stir up trouble :?:
CPU- Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad ,2.40GHz
RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2
Motherboard- Gigabyte P35 DQ6
Video Card- Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS + 640Mb
Hard Drives- 2 SATA Raptor 10000rpm 150GB
OS- Windows Vista Home Premium 32

Post #32by Guest » 27.02.2003, 07:34

Hear hear Darkmiss!
The moderators of the forum should have deleted this offensive post Im on a number of other forums and some offer the chance to send a message to the Admin when posts of this nature are found, and they can be quickly blocked or removed.

63rd_Ian

Darkmiss

Post #33by Darkmiss » 27.02.2003, 21:14

I dont think there are any moderator in this forum at all 8O
this forum has never needed them, up until now

shame people have to spoil good things. :?

looks like a moderator or two, should be appointed.

RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2

bh

Post #34by bh » 28.02.2003, 00:45

Okay... I will be the moderator on this post... This post is closed... lets change the subject. Why is does my NGC 1999 appear banded.

New Earth/shallow water coming soon to a coast near you!!

Lighten up guys.

Mad Boris
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #35by Mad Boris » 28.02.2003, 16:34

The following anonymous posts were actually by me :

Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:14 pm
Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:30 pm

Darkmiss wrote :
Why has this post not been closed, locked, or deleted by now.

is this anonymous person acually interested in Celestia
or just here to stir up trouble

If you were referring to my posts :

I am utterly mystified as to why you take offence. I was trying to give my opinion on this controversial and thought provoking topic. No one has EVER (and I really do mean that literally) accused me of being a trouble maker. Granted though, my first post was far too over-reactive and should be rewritten. But yes, I AM interested in Celestia, I even made a (very small) mod of the Venusian clouds (it's on Bruckner's site), and Celestia has lead me to a whole new hobby - 3D graphics. One day I'll get round to making a mesh to use in the program. I may not be a very regular contibuter to this forum but I AM a regular viewer.

I also don't see anything worth censoring. By all means, lock topics if they spiral out of control into a flame war, remove or edit posts with offensive language, but certainly don't remove posts because you disagree with the opinion of whoever wrote it. Read the bottom of my first post again.

Again, I am mystifed as to what I've said that's "stirring up trouble". As far as I'm concerned this was just a heated debate, so please tell me so that I do not make the same mistake again. I will respect the will of the community even if I disagree with it. But I think it's sad that you don't have more respect for other people's opinions. (yes, I called the original post in this topic "garbage" - which I regret doing - but at least I never called for censorship !)

And if you weren't talking to me :
Well, everyone's happy ! :)

Darkmiss

Post #36by Darkmiss » 28.02.2003, 21:21

No Mad Boris, not you mate :wink:

RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2

Mad Boris
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #37by Mad Boris » 28.02.2003, 21:32

That's ok then !
Now I will stop posting here and go and do something useful.
No more anonymous posts for me, ever..... :oops: !

Return to “Celestia Users”