Win32 Executable from SVN

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
cartrite
With us: 19 years
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Re: Win32 Executable from SVN

Post #101by cartrite » 20.12.2008, 22:53

I got an early Christmas present today. My newer site informed me that they will be shut down at any time now although it is possible that it will remain online for the rest of the month. Upon hearing this I noticed my old site is also offline. Not sure when that happened. Oh well, I'll have to come up with some other plan.
cartrite
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

Topic author
cartrite
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Post #102by cartrite » 23.12.2008, 02:35

I updated r4580 again. It contains a patch to fix a crash when Celestia tries to load level11 or level12 tiles. Most of the svn builds I did to date should cause Celestia to crash when level 11 and level12 tiles are loaded. With the exception of r4565. R4565 caused other problems though. The normal version is also available in this update and it is a little bigger download. So this update contains 3 executables. HDR, normal, and patched. Let me know if the patched version causes other problems if you don't have level11 or level12 VT's to try or if Celestia still crashes with level11 or level12 tiles.
My regular site that is connected to the web icon has been down for an unknown reason. My new web site is still up but may disappear at any time without any notice. So............
cartrite
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

Topic author
cartrite

Post #103by cartrite » 24.12.2008, 14:16

Due to the recent problems I am having with both my web sites, I decided to try a blog at CM to make these available. Now there is also a link in my signature.
cartrite

JarC
With us: 15 years 8 months

Post #104by JarC » 02.01.2009, 15:16

Hi,

I'm not sure if I am in the correct place here, please forgive me if I am.

I've downloaded the executables from your sig-link, and did exactly as specified, but chose a SVN export as base. Like the assumption below indicates, it works.
cartrite wrote:If you download the svn celestia folder and place the executable in that folder along with the dll files, that will probably work too. Then you have a virtual 1.6.0pre. But that is up to the user to do that. I don't supply instructions to do this because there are too many things that can go wrong.

In a nutshell, I exported the current SVN files, then placed the HDR shaders file in their place, overwriting the SVN versions. placed the two DSC files in the data folder. updated the SVN celestia.cfg to match the one included with the SVN exeutables from your link.

I tried finding an explanation in the forum about the difference between HDR and normal, but could not find one. So it's far more likely I did something wrong (not too experienced in graphical oriented software) and the problem/display glitch I see is a result of this.

The first thing I noticed is that with the HDR version in OpenGL2.0 mode, my Earth looks like a christmas bal so shiny and reflecting...almost mirror like and way too shiny/reflective for my taste, even if it would be correct. The second thing I noticed was that the asteroid belt shows as being between Earth and Sun when looking from Earth towards the Sun, or better said the part of the belt that would be behind the sun is not blocked by the image of the sun (it's speckled now :) ) . Now, I may not know a thing about astronomy but that can't be right. So what did I do wrong?

Regards
Raj

Topic author
cartrite

Post #105by cartrite » 02.01.2009, 17:10

I've downloaded the executables from your sig-link, and did exactly as specified, but chose a SVN export as base. Like the assumption below indicates, it works...In a nutshell, I exported the current SVN files, then placed the HDR shaders file in their place, overwriting the SVN versions. placed the two DSC files in the data folder. updated the SVN celestia.cfg to match the one included with the SVN exeutables from your link.

I should probably update a read me file to read that this is not what should be done. Actually, since you are using a svn base, there is no need to use any files except the executable that you wish to use. The data and shader files you have may be more up to date. Just use the executable. These files are meant to update files when Celestia 1.5.0 or 1.5.1 is used.

The first thing I noticed is that with the HDR version in OpenGL2.0 mode, my Earth looks like a christmas bal so shiny and reflecting...almost mirror like and way too shiny/reflective for my taste, even if it would be correct.
The HDR version still needs some development. The shiney surface still needs to be fixed. It is also an old version. I will rebuild it to bring the non-HDR code up to date.
The second thing I noticed was that the asteroid belt shows as being between Earth and Sun when looking from Earth towards the Sun, or better said the part of the belt that would be behind the sun is not blocked by the image of the sun (it's speckled now :) ) . Now, I may not know a thing about astronomy but that can't be right.
If you were using the HDR version, this may be because this version is older and may not be compatible with the newer data files any more. Try the rxxxx or patched version and see if this still occurs. These versions will also get rid of the shiny earth.
cartrite

JarC

Post #106by JarC » 02.01.2009, 18:11

cartrite wrote:
I've downloaded the executables from your sig-link, and did exactly as specified, but chose a SVN export as base. Like the assumption below indicates, it works...In a nutshell, I exported the current SVN files, then placed the HDR shaders file in their place, overwriting the SVN versions. placed the two DSC files in the data folder. updated the SVN celestia.cfg to match the one included with the SVN exeutables from your link.

I should probably update a read me file to read that this is not what should be done. Actually, since you are using a svn base, there is no need to use any files except the executable that you wish to use.
So noted :)

cartrite wrote:
...the part of the belt that would be behind the sun is not blocked by the image of the sun ...
...Try the rxxxx or patched version and see if this still occurs. These versions will also get rid of the shiny earth.
cartrite
Indeed the rXXXX versions both display the belt as I would expect, the shine is also more what I expected it to be (or what I am conditioned to expect... ;) )

Thanks for the clarification.

Raj

Topic author
cartrite

Post #107by cartrite » 02.01.2009, 18:51

I've updated my new web site and the blog at Celestial Matters. All 3 versions are now 4585. I've also updated the read me and the blog to try and make it known that if you use the TortoiseSVN to download Celestia, the data and shader files do not have to be used.
cartrite

Topic author
cartrite

Post #108by cartrite » 05.01.2009, 23:14

My web site at sitesled has been down, perhaps it will be up again, perhaps not.
My website at cedhost no longer. It is kaput.
Svn executables are only available at CM. See my signature below.
cartrite

jdavies
With us: 15 years 9 months

Post #109by jdavies » 06.01.2009, 04:01

I have some space to host these executables if you need it. Its a Yahoo site, so I have GB of space to spare. Not sure how we would work out the Xfers though. I don't know if I can create an FTP account for you to upload files or not. If you're interested, I'll check it out.

- Jeff

Topic author
cartrite

Post #110by cartrite » 06.01.2009, 09:49

Thanks Jeff.
That's not necessary though. Space isn't an issue. Executables are only about 3 mb. 1.5 if I only included one executable per zip file. CM has plenty of space for that.

My web site was a different story though. The one that got deleted was almost 600 mb and I had 5 gb of space there. I'm not looking to upload the site again. I'm done with having a web site. If the other one at sitesled.com ever comes back online, I think I'm going to delete that one. I'm tired of going though this accessibility issue. That site was down since before Christmas.
cartrite

JarC

Post #111by JarC » 06.01.2009, 22:23

cartrite wrote:Thanks Jeff.
If the other one at sitesled.com ever comes back online, I think I'm going to delete that one.
Uhm. not sure exactly what you mean, it may be that this was before xmas, but I've been browsing your site at
http://cartrite.sitesled.com/index.html on several occasions during the last week (and possibly longer) trying to get up to speed with these tools. No signs of it being down...and until a day or two ago, I also had no problems visiting the other site until it got removed

:?

Topic author
cartrite

Post #112by cartrite » 06.01.2009, 22:46

I haven't been able to reach any site at sitesled.com since before Christmas. It was the day I received the email notifying me that the other site was going down. This is what p@#$es me off. When I get access again, the site is getting deleted.
cartrite

JarC

Post #113by JarC » 06.01.2009, 23:12

cartrite wrote:I haven't been able to reach any site at sitesled.com since before Christmas.
for me there's no problems connecting to sitesled.com sites...so this is either some network admins pissing eachother off or another kind of routing issue...

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #114by ANDREA » 07.01.2009, 00:10

JarC wrote:
cartrite wrote:I haven't been able to reach any site at sitesled.com since before Christmas.
for me there's no problems connecting to sitesled.com sites...so this is either some network admins pissing eachother off or another kind of routing issue...
Cartrite, I agree with JarC, I connected to http://cartrite.sitesled.com/index.html just now, quickly and without problems.
Probably the problem is on your side, sorry. :?
My little cent.
Bye

Andrea :D
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

jdavies
With us: 15 years 9 months

Post #115by jdavies » 07.01.2009, 00:27

I never thought to try and connect to it until I read these posts. Its working fine for me too.

Topic author
cartrite

Post #116by cartrite » 07.01.2009, 00:45

I don't know. Maybe it is my ISP. I can trace the route through 4 routers but it never leaves my ISP's network. Gets stuck at the 4th router in NY.
I'm going to try to access the site from a different computer tomorrow.
I can't update a site that I can't connect too. So right now the site is useless.
I go though this every year and this is the longest amount of time that I was blocked from accessing this site. I never find out why it happens either. But this is the last time it will happen.
cartrite

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #117by selden » 07.01.2009, 13:36

Cartrite,

It may be that your ISP is enforcing the google/WOT ratings and not permitting access to sites which are marked dangerous. Another possibility is that your browser is silently enforcing them.

I have the WebOfTrust plugin installed on Firefox.

When I tried connecting, WOT put up a warning claiming that the site's "vendor reliability" and "privacy" ratings are "dangerous".
Selden

Topic author
cartrite

Post #118by cartrite » 07.01.2009, 16:21

Hi Selden,
Yeah there is that too. Bob mentioned that a while back. I don't think that this is because of Firefox but you may be right about my ISP. I'll try to call them today. I used ping and traceroute from a network analyzer and they also fail. I also tried the domain name and the network address. That site being on google/WOT though is another reason to delete the thing.
Some day, when I can afford such things, I'll expand much account with my ISP to a commercial account and host the site on my computer.
PS. Apparently, a tech at my ISP could not access the site either so this does have something to do with my ISP.
cartrite

Topic author
cartrite

Post #119by cartrite » 25.01.2009, 01:27

svn version is now at 4604. 4602 had the new globular patch but this 4604 version does not have the new globular patch because Fridger is still working on it. The only versions available in this update is a patched version that fixed a vt level 11/12 problem but was never committed to svn and the HDR 4602 version. Let me know if this is a problem.
cartrite

Kolano
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #120by Kolano » 04.02.2009, 07:17

cartrite wrote:I am going to try to maintain an ongoing executable of celestia.exe from the latest svn at my new web site .

Since you seem to have moved over to http://www.celestialmatters.org you may want to update the link in your opening post.
System:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium nForce4 SLI
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2xeVGA GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB
2gb Dual Channel DDR (400) 3200

Return to “Development”