Forums Suggestion and Discussion: Anti-Necromancing rules and Joey P

The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff
Topic author
Gurren Lagann
With us: 6 years 3 months

Forums Suggestion and Discussion: Anti-Necromancing rules and Joey P

Post #1by Gurren Lagann » 23.11.2019, 14:10

Okay, I had clearly noticed that forum user Joey P is doing a long series of necromancing posts, and we should make a rule against necromancing.
First, lets talk about what necromancing is:
- Necromancy stands for reviving the dead, which translates to reviving topics that are a year old or more.

Now, for the story. Joey P - a 17-year-old from Vladivostok, Russia - has been necromancing posts since he first joined, in 2017, but his necromancing has become more frequent this month. In fact, it has been soo frequent that it has reached a point where this can no longer be accepted.

And because of the entire Joey P situation, i now suggest a anti-necromancing ruleset.
Here is the proposed ruleset, suggested by pedro_jg over on the discord server:
"Do not bump old topics (a.k.a. necromancing) if they didn't receive new replies for over a year [or whatever time period], unless:
1. You are the original poster of the topic;
2. You state clearly in your post its reason, showing why it wouldn't be better as a thread of its own"

I hope that this situation is solved as soon as possible, as this would not only make a protection against the revival of old topics from the 2000s/early 2010s, but it would also add a layer of protection against spam.
"The tomorrow we're trying to reach is not a tomorrow you had decided on!"
- Simon the Digger
"Nothing is impossible for me, as long I'm determinated to keep moving forward!"
"If other people aren't going to do it, I'm going to do it myself!"
- Me (Gurren)

Current major projects:
- Aur Cir
- Cel+
- Project Sisyphus
- Populating the Local Group
- An galaxy generator

Lafuente_Astronomy
With us: 5 years 9 months

Post #2by Lafuente_Astronomy » 23.11.2019, 14:11

I AGREE TO THIS. Though we must wait for the other mods and Alexell to give their agreement
Official Administrator of the Celestia Discord Server.
Invite: https://discordapp.com/invite/WEWDcJh
If you don't have a Discord account, register here: https://discordapp.com/register
Have a blessed day.

FarGetaNik M
With us: 11 years 11 months

Post #3by FarGetaNik » 23.11.2019, 14:20

Something clearly has to be done as all recent posts are by Joey P recently. Although I would suggest loosing rule 1 a bit, I've found myself abandoning certain threads for years until working on the subject again, see Whole Earth Views

Although I might have been responsible for some necromancy myself I have to admit so take it as you want. Maybe make it either 2 years or have it be if you were involved into the original discussion (instead of just author). I guess depending on how you see Rule 2 this might not be an issue tho.

Lafuente_Astronomy

Post #4by Lafuente_Astronomy » 23.11.2019, 14:24

FarGetaNik wrote:Something clearly has to be done as all recent posts are by Joey P recently. Although I would suggest loosing rule 1 a bit, I've found myself abandoning certain threads for years until working on the subject again, see Whole Earth Views

I dunno. Although rule 1 is reasonable enough, I mean, no one normally responds to a year-long post. But if you apply rule 2 to your latest post on Whole Earth Views, then it should be fine.
If you don't have a Discord account, register here: https://discordapp.com/register
Have a blessed day.

FarGetaNik M
With us: 11 years 11 months

Post #5by FarGetaNik » 23.11.2019, 14:25

Fair enough.

SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #6by SevenSpheres » 23.11.2019, 18:14

Yeah, I think this is a good idea. I do try to be helpful when Joey P. asks a question on a very old thread, but it is definitely very annoying.

There is also this...
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

Art Blos M
With us: 6 years 8 months

Post #7by Art Blos » 27.11.2019, 09:39

"Necromancy" does not annoy me. But I am not against the new rules.
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

Joey P. M
With us: 6 years 6 months

Post #8by Joey P. » 27.11.2019, 20:44

OK, I'll stop. But why don't we just automatically protect old threads that haven't been answered over six month periods? The same goes with news articles on Wikinews.

Added after 14 minutes 5 seconds:
Of course, all of the necromancing posts I make are done in good faith; i.e. current discoveries and the status of objects.
Joey P.

Lafuente_Astronomy

Post #9by Lafuente_Astronomy » 27.11.2019, 22:32

Joey P. wrote:OK, I'll stop. But why don't we just automatically protect old threads that haven't been answered over six month periods? The same goes with news articles on Wikinews.

Well, I think what we can do is that we wait for as you suggested, 6 months of no reply, and then we lock it down. That should prevent necromancy

Joey P. wrote:Of course, all of the necromancing posts I make are done in good faith; i.e. current discoveries and the status of objects.

I can tell. But it's preferable if you make a new post instead. Also, make sure it's related to the stuff in Celestia.
Have a blessed day.

SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #10by SevenSpheres » 27.11.2019, 22:38

Lafuente_Astronomy wrote:
Joey P. wrote:OK, I'll stop. But why don't we just automatically protect old threads that haven't been answered over six month periods? The same goes with news articles on Wikinews.

Well, I think what we can do is that we wait for as you suggested, 6 months of no reply, and then we lock it down. That should prevent necromancy

There's no need to lock all old threads; it would be better to implement the rule proposed in the OP.

Joey P. wrote:Of course, all of the necromancing posts I make are done in good faith; i.e. current discoveries and the status of objects.
Joey P. wrote:Sorry if I'm necromancing, but I'm just informing you that Gangnam Style is no longer the world's most viewed YouTube video... the new horrible song "Despacito" has 5 BILLION views and it's driving me crazy!
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

Topic author
Gurren Lagann
With us: 6 years 3 months

Post #11by Gurren Lagann » 27.11.2019, 22:43

Uhh no. Not all of then are. One time, you necromanced a post only to say that there are better neutron star textures now. That's a big no-no. :fie:
"The tomorrow we're trying to reach is not a tomorrow you had decided on!"
- Simon the Digger
"Nothing is impossible for me, as long I'm determinated to keep moving forward!"
"If other people aren't going to do it, I'm going to do it myself!"
- Me (Gurren)

Current major projects:
- Aur Cir
- Cel+
- Project Sisyphus
- Populating the Local Group
- An galaxy generator

Joey P. M

Post #12by Joey P. » 28.11.2019, 04:30

OK, now I know.
Joey P.

LukeCEL
With us: 6 years 7 months

Post #13by LukeCEL » 29.11.2019, 19:18

SevenSpheres wrote:There's no need to lock all old threads; it would be better to implement the rule proposed in the OP.

I agree. There are several threads that I want to revisit after I've taken a hiatus, like my Populating galaxies thread.

Joey P. M

Post #14by Joey P. » 20.02.2020, 02:06

SevenSpheres wrote:

There is also this...

I don't do that anymore; I was just super obsessed with Martha Speaks and was angry that Wikipedia wasn't putting much emphasis into it as they would South Park (which I hate), Danny Phantom, and The Fairly OddParents, due to its relatively low notability (because obviously Martha Speaks is a bad, overrated show and PBS Kids is only available in the USA). I hate Martha Speaks now and am no longer obsessed with it.

I was also influenced by another Wikipedia sockpuppeteer from 2007, "Simulation12", who also had the same motives as me. I made a video mocking Martha Speaks and obsessions here.
Joey P.

Return to “Petit Bistro Entropy”