3D, 4D, etc.

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia

3D, 4D, etc.

Post #1by Guest » 19.09.2004, 22:56

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can recommend some good, (simple?) reading here.

Actually first...to let me know if I'm on the right track here...(or if the thought of dimensions beyond 3D relates to another area).

Here's my starting point:

Big Bang....I really don't know any of the details yet.

Einstein's Theory of Relativity...same deal, very fuzzy on this, (for now)... :)

What I have read though, is how Hubble, (in the earlier part of the twentieth century), was able to more or less prove what Einstein was saying was true....with regard to the universe expanding.

Again, I haven't read in depth about this yet...(just that Hubble was successful in doing applied testing of Einstein's theory). And yes, correct me if I'm wrong on any of my assumptions.

My question is something like this....

When these scientists talk about the universe expanding like this...does this fact, (in and of itself), constitute that we actually exist in a realm that is beyond 3D?

In other words, I take it that it's now generally accepted that the universe isn't static....but if it were static, would this be life in 3D....and thus, our universe is definately a model beyond that?

Pretty hazy starting point, (I know...), but if anyone knows of some good reading, (maybe something that picks up where Hubble's analysis started), I'd appreciate it.

Also, please feel free to interject and let me know if this confirmation by Hubble, (the expanding universe), actually does relate to looking at the universe in a dimension beyond 3D...or your own version of the dimension of things.

Thanks for your consideration,
-Mike (struggling, budding astronomer...wannabe physicist)

mvg
With us: 20 years

3D, 4D, etc.

Post #2by mvg » 19.09.2004, 23:01

Hi,

Please see the start of my thread above....

Thanks,
-Mike

Evil Dr Ganymede
With us: 21 years 3 months

Post #3by Evil Dr Ganymede » 20.09.2004, 04:55

If I'm thinking of what you're thinking, Hubble (or one of these seep space observing probes anyway) showed that it looks like the expansion of the universe is actually getting faster with time. Which means that a cosmological constant than Einstein grudgingly put in his equations is actually real. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong ;))

Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe" is a very fine book that explains all about the Big bang and higher dimensions. What breaks my head is that all the higher dimensions are tied up in knots at the sub-planck scale, and the manner in which they're knotted up is what determines the physical laws of the universe. That's pretty awesome, I think :). It's good reading on the topic though (I think it has stuff on string theory too).

Post #4by Guest » 20.09.2004, 13:26

ahh.....once again, the beauty of forum discussions is demonstrated.

Thanks for the book recommendation, Evil.

BTW....is the public library network, (in your locale), now Internet Browser based?

Sure is nice to now just go to IE....flip out the library card and punch in my bar code # on the back of it...then get an email or voice message from the library a few days later.

Again, your response is most appreciated.

-Mike

mvg

Post #5by mvg » 20.09.2004, 13:32

again...please refer above for my post, (response).

I'll get the hang of this version of phpBB discussion board...(at some point).

-Mike

Evil Dr Ganymede
With us: 21 years 3 months

Post #6by Evil Dr Ganymede » 20.09.2004, 17:05

BTW....is the public library network, (in your locale), now Internet Browser based?

Not that I know of. To be honest, if I want a book I usually go to the bookstore to buy it :).

mvg

Post #7by mvg » 20.09.2004, 17:32

A printer here...like my buddy Ben Franklin, (who started the library system in the US).

Yes, I've done the bookstore route...(many a times)...usually used thru Amazon now.

But the library, (the loaner concept of it), allows for scanning without committment, i.e. bringing in multiple sources of input at no cost.

Then a later purchase if one is deemed worthwhile.

Now with libraries being IE accessible...the concept is that much more fluid.

But then again, I don't have the capacity for South Park yet...I'm only up to the level of Crank Yankers.

Regards,
-Mike
P.S. A bookshelf making I go... :)

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”