Design, mountains on earth

The home for finished/released addons.
Topic author
Astronauta
With us: 1 year 9 months

Design, mountains on earth

Post #1by Astronauta » 15.07.2022, 03:44

Hi! this is a project I'm doing, the chance of this project finishing before it ends is very high lol XD, but I'll try to do my best to finish the project and you guys test and like it.for now it's just like in the image, the pity is that it's a flat square all green in the middle of the earth lol XD, but I'll try to fix it, any help is welcome, for now there is no download, but if everything goes well I will release it soon

Note: the models are of Mars craters, I'm just changing the textures and locations.

Added after 3 hours 3 minutes:
here is the first version and yes, i did it for three hours, the mountains it is on earth the same way as those mountains on mars, that's because i don't know how to put it on the whole planet, I don't even know if this is possible, but here it is, it's just the first version hope you like it :wink:
Attachments
Screenshot_20220715-033611.png
antarctica
Screenshot_20220715-031802.png
Greenland
Screenshot_20220715-021143.png
Indonesia
mountainV1.0.zip
Download
(5.66 MiB) Downloaded 201 times
Screenshot_20220715-002038.png
beautiful sunset
Screenshot_20220715-002011.png
If something seems impossible to you, don't give up because nothing in life is impossible if we persist.
-me (Efraim) This is own experience.

SpaceExplorer
With us: 2 years 6 months

Post #2by SpaceExplorer » 15.07.2022, 11:16

It looks much better than that "flat" when you land on Earth! When you launch your grounds on the Moon, I would like to use the same base to place these grounds on lunar spacecraft landing sites, for example Chang'e 4.

Topic author
Astronauta

Post #3by Astronauta » 15.07.2022, 14:30

oh ok, but the real work is to put the latitude and longitude
If something seems impossible to you, don't give up because nothing in life is impossible if we persist.

Topic author
Astronauta

Post #4by Astronauta » 15.07.2022, 21:57

added 3 more new places on earth with terrains, i'm only using this model because the others get buggy, i can start working on the moon in the next version too :wink:

Added after 8 hours 8 minutes:
while the one on the moon, I just added a crater, I don't know if I do one like this on the moon too, even because this topic is about the mountains on earth, but I'm posting this one because a user asked. :wink:
Attachments
moon crater.zip
(1.91 MiB) Downloaded 128 times
montanhaV1.1.zip
Download
(11.33 MiB) Downloaded 194 times

DaveBowman2001
With us: 5 years 10 months

Post #5by DaveBowman2001 » 16.07.2022, 06:59

If you're going to make custom terrain on the Moon, please leave out all the Apollo sites and Surveyor 3. They will have their own once Project Apollo (Part 4) is published in the future. Thanks
"Open the pod-bay doors HAL"
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"

Spacecrafts Addon Developer since 2018
Celestia Versions: 1.6.9 (Mobile), 1.6.3 and 1.7.0 (Windows)

Topic author
Astronauta

Post #6by Astronauta » 16.07.2022, 07:24

Okay!

EarthMoon
With us: 1 year 10 months

Post #7by EarthMoon » 17.07.2022, 13:07

A problem: When I try to open some of the .cmod filed in mountain v1.1, cmodview gives errors. :cry:

I did not edit the files. They are original as in the zip file.
Attachments
error.jpg
Errors
Crew: "We are orbiting a black hole."
Control Center: "Do not fly too close to the black hole!"
Crew: "OH OOPS..."

Celestia versions:
1.6.3, 1.7.0 sRGB, 1.6.1 ED (plain)

Current projects:
Celestial (a Celestia-like program written in Python)

Topic author
Astronauta

Post #8by Astronauta » 17.07.2022, 18:58

if it's to visualize what's written inside I usually use a reader or text editor, but if it's to visualize in 3D I recommend cmodview, I hope I helped.

culturediff

Post #9by culturediff » 09.08.2022, 13:21

Hello all,

Astronauta, what you are doing is exactly what I am trying to achieve since years ... Congrats for the beautiful results ! :wink:

As an astronomer, I study ancient Egyptian astronomy. I more particularly focus on the determination of the days of rising and setting of stars visible with the naked eye in the darkness and twilight. For the needs of my Ph.D, I have developed little scripts which mix celestial mechanics algorithms and visibility criteria and lead to the determination, with good accuracy, of the time of rising and setting of stars above the horizon - above a flat horizon only. I would now like to go further and take into account the local relief.

To achieve this goal, I have considered using several softwares like VTProject, Cesium, OpenLayers with Cesium, NASA WebWorldWind, etc. But none of them really answered my needs ... until I re-discovered Celestia. After one month testing its functionalities and studying its functioning, I am convinced that this software could really lead to determine, theoretically and visually, the height of appearance/disappearance of any object above/below the local horizon, hence the instants at which these phenomena occur in darkness as well as in the twilight sky.

i am therefore really interested in what you achieved, Astronauta. Reading the Celestia documentation and the different users contributions - that of GlobeMaker especially (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8917), I understand that the first step is to conceive a 3D model of the Earth terrain on the basis of a DEM and with the help of a software like Blender-GIS or Anim8or. Is that right ? Is this your approach ? If so, would it be possible for you to detail it a bit so that I can conceive my own 3D model ? Thanks in advance.

Of course, let me know if I can contribute to your efforts with my few skills.

SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #10by SevenSpheres » 09.08.2022, 15:33

Yes, you would need to create a 3D model of the terrain, and convert it to Celestia's cmod format. Astronauta is just reusing already existing models of craters on Mars.
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

culturediff

Post #11by culturediff » 10.08.2022, 12:52

OK, thanks for your answer SevenSpheres. I will try to do this for the whole Earth ...

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #12by John Van Vliet » 10.08.2022, 14:29

there is a OLD!!! tool for a whole planet DEM
https://archive.blender.org/wiki/index.php/Extens ... port-Export/NASA_IMG_Importer/

it will run on Blender 2.79 but NOT !!!! newer versions

there is a update posted here
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?s=3b ... ic=6878&view=findpost&p=248902

for Blender 2.9.1

Topic author
Astronauta

Post #13by Astronauta » 10.08.2022, 14:59

Hello culturediff. I'm glad you liked it, it just so happens that what I'm trying to do with my addons is just make them beautiful, realistic too but I'm investing more time in making it prettier, for example I have some dummy system addons and all of them (only the one in the "dummy system" topic) have hilly terrain. :smile:

culturediff

Post #14by culturediff » 10.08.2022, 17:46

Thanks John Van Vliet for your interesting suggestions. I will study the method you suggest tomorrow.

This afternoon, I managed to create a 3D model of the La Reunion Island with Blender + Blender GIS, then exported it in the .x3d and .stl formats. Next step : converting it into .3ds then .cmod, finally import it within Celestia, then turn to the Panorama mode and say : Waouh or ... Aïe :wink:

The results you obtained Astronauta are exquisite, really ... inspiring as well. i hope to reach this high level of visual rendering with true geospatial data :wink:

DaveBowman2001
With us: 5 years 10 months

Post #15by DaveBowman2001 » 11.08.2022, 01:20

Astronauta, I see that you used my Gale Crater on Mars add-on as a basis for your work. Please don't forget to provide credit as well
"Open the pod-bay doors HAL"
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"

Spacecrafts Addon Developer since 2018
Celestia Versions: 1.6.9 (Mobile), 1.6.3 and 1.7.0 (Windows)

Topic author
Astronauta

Post #16by Astronauta » 11.08.2022, 17:21

Hello DaveBowman2001, yes I know this addon is yours I put it very clearly at the top of the topic. as well as the fictitious system addons that I got the umbiel 3D terrain addons and etc.

culturediff

Post #17by culturediff » 22.08.2022, 15:51

Hello everybody,

It took me two weeks to say ... waouh :wink: - that works ... and that's great ! :smile:

In detail : I encountered no problem to create a 3D model from a DEM with Blender, then to apply a color texture to it and to convert the resulting 3D model into cmod format thanks to the export_cmod plugin inserted into Anim8or. Then came the time to create a *.ssc file into the /extra/ Celestia folder. The most difficult thing was to correctly orientate the mesh (La Reunion island) above the surface of the Earth. I spent hours trying different angle-axis combinations, using and modifying Orientation [angle x y z] and FixedRotation [Inclination Ascending-Node MeridianAngle]. After reading many contributions from Celestia users on this forum, I finally came accross the clue : this post written by Chuft-Captain : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12465&p=104232&hilit=BodyFrame+Fixed+Rotation#p104232.

And now, everything is OK : I can see the stars rising above the relief of La Reunion Island and setting below the mountains. That's great :smile: I now can extend the process to other world areas.

This post just intends to thank everyone of you for your respective contributions. Thank you very very very much for your efforts.

As my knowledge of Celestia will improve, I will submit new Add-Ons in turn.

Return to “Add-on releases”