Project "Celestia Origin"

The home for finished/released addons.
FarGetaNik M
With us: 11 years 11 months

Post #41by FarGetaNik » 28.09.2017, 15:12

If I might recommend DeviantArt again? :wink:
Here is an addon for all major moons of Uranus: https://fargetanik.deviantart.com/art/Uranus-Project-Missing-Data-Celestia-Addon-690191377 Credit goes to Snowfall, I've put everything together into an Celestia addon.

I also made some Uranus textures, as well as other DA members, but there is no good imagery to compose 2k maps from. This is a true color map based on Hubble data: https://fargetanik.deviantart.com/art/Uranus-True-Color-Texture-Map-678396520

Topic author
Art Blos M
With us: 6 years 8 months

Post #42by Art Blos » 28.09.2017, 15:21

FarGetaNik wrote:Here is an addon for all major moons of Uranus: https://fargetanik.deviantart.com/art/Uranus-Proj ... -Data-Celestia-Addon-690191377 Credit goes to Snowfall
These textures are precisely from that category, which destroy the naturalness. :fie:

FarGetaNik wrote:I also made some Uranus textures, as well as other DA members, but there is no good imagery to compose 2k maps from. This is a map based on Hubble data: https://fargetanik.deviantart.com/art/Uranus-True-Color-Texture-Map-678396520
Colors are not at all like "voyager".
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #43by John Van Vliet » 28.09.2017, 15:31

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #44by Art Blos » 28.09.2017, 16:30

John Van Vliet wrote:here is a repost of my older 4k Uranus
This texture is already used in the "Dying Solar System".

FarGetaNik M

Post #45by FarGetaNik » 28.09.2017, 17:58

Art Blos wrote:These textures are precisely from that category, which destroy the naturalness. :fie:

Well it includes fictional details for sure, but it gíves much more realistic renders than any photographic maps. But that's personal taste I guess.

Art Blos wrote:Colors are not at all like "voyager".

If you refer to the image by Calvin J. Hamilton you posted, I don't think it's all that realistic. This image by Björn Johnsson should be more naturally colored: http://www.planetary.org/multimedia/space-images/uranus/color-global-view-of-uranus.html
And I know what color filters I used for the composite so the color of my map should match reality very closely.

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #46by Art Blos » 28.09.2017, 18:13

FarGetaNik wrote:Well it includes fictional details for sure, but it gíves much more realistic renders than any photographic maps. But that's personal taste I guess.
There are too many fictitious details. The truth is more precious to me than beauty. :wink:

FarGetaNik wrote:If you refer to the image by Calvin J. Hamilton you posted, I don't think it's all that realistic. This image by Björn Johnsson should be more naturally colored: http://www.planetary.org/multimedia/space-images/ ... lor-global-view-of-uranus.html
And I know what color filters I used for the composite so the color of my map should match reality very closely.
Probably you are right. I will consider this. :think:

Added after 56 minutes 30 seconds:
FarGetaNik < Hey, man. Wikipedia confirmed your rightness. So I take your Uranus texture, as the main one. :clap:
New Uranus.png

What else would you advise from your textures of Uranus? :smoke:

FarGetaNik M

Post #47by FarGetaNik » 28.09.2017, 21:02

Art Blos wrote:FarGetaNik < Hey, man. Wikipedia confirmed your rightness. So I take your Uranus texture, as the main one. :clap:
Thanks I appreachiate it :)

Art Blos wrote:What else would you advise from your textures of Uranus? :smoke:

For Uranus itself or its moons? Other Uranus maps are more focused on details that are not present in visible light. If you are looking for realism I cannot really recommend anything else except maybe my Miranda maps: https://fargetanik.deviantart.com/art/Miranda-Bump-and-Normal-maps-Celestia-addon-584525896 But you seem to have a previous version of this addon already included. The normal map would need a remake, but I disregarded this addon because I prefer Snowfall's textures. If we are talking about such poorly imaged worlds, realistic maps are not reasily done.

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #48by Art Blos » 29.09.2017, 04:24

FarGetaNik wrote:For Uranus itself or its moons?
I do not see anything suitable for the moons. So I'm interested in Uranus.

FarGetaNik wrote:Other Uranus maps are more focused on details that are not present in visible light
One of your infrared textures is already in use, as an alternative (see attachment). Maybe I missed something? :smile:
Attachments
uranus-infrared.png

FarGetaNik M

Post #49by FarGetaNik » 29.09.2017, 09:17

I have 2 more, but I never uploaded them. Both are only 1k, because there is no reason to blow up the textures with when the resolution is so low to begin with.

Here is Uranus with details from Hubble's infrared channel:
uranus-ir.png

And a version with details added from Voyager and Keck:
uranus-enhanced.png

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #50by Art Blos » 29.09.2017, 09:31

FarGetaNik wrote:And a version with details added from Voyager and Keck:
I'll take this one. Thank you. :smile:

CM1215 M

Post #51by CM1215 » 29.09.2017, 12:52

Since it appears that the colors are the only thing you don't like about those Uranian moon textures, I've decided to re-colorize those textures to more correctly match the voyager images. Here are some screenshots:

Miranda (The Miranda texture seems to be a bit too smooth):
MirandaComparison.png

Ariel:
ArielComparison.png

Umbriel:
UmbrielComparison.png

Titania:
TitaniaComparison.png

Oberon:
OberonComparison.png
CM1215: Celestial master in learning.

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #52by Art Blos » 29.09.2017, 12:56

CM1215 < Not bad at all! :eek: The only remark: as far as I know, Ariel is gray.

CM1215 M

Post #53by CM1215 » 29.09.2017, 12:58

Here are the maps:
NewUranianMoonTexturesCM1215.zip
(38.43 MiB) Downloaded 264 times

Note: I disabled LunarLambert on all of the moons apart from Umbriel.

Added after 2 minutes 40 seconds:
The images of a gray Ariel are grayscale. Ariel, in reality, has a reddish-brown color. In each of those comparison images above, there is a Celestia image (left) and a Voyager 2 image (right).

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #54by Art Blos » 29.09.2017, 13:04

CM1215 wrote:Note: I disabled LunarLambert on all of the moons apart from Umbriel.
I do not advise using it anywhere, except for our Moon.

CM1215 wrote:Here are the maps:
The source maps are taken from the addons Snowfall-The-Cat or FarGetaNik?

CM1215 M

Post #55by CM1215 » 29.09.2017, 13:06

I downloaded them from FarGetaNik's deviantart, but I think the originals were made by Snowfall-The-Cat.

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #56by Art Blos » 29.09.2017, 13:08

CM1215 wrote:The images of a gray Ariel are grayscale. Ariel, in reality, has a reddish-brown color. In each of those comparison images above, there is a Celestia image (left) and a Voyager 2 image (right).

Wikipedia is writing "The surface of Ariel is generally neutral in color" with reference to the source. And who to believe? :smoke:

Added after 2 minutes 48 seconds:
CM1215 wrote:I downloaded them from FarGetaNik's deviantart, but I think the originals were made by Snowfall-The-Cat.
I know who is the real author. But I do not know how much FarGetaNik changed the originals. Maybe it was worth processing the originals?

CM1215 M

Post #57by CM1215 » 29.09.2017, 13:22

Check out this link: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Ariel_(moon)
Here you can find both grayscale and color images of Ariel. The color images of Ariel have "color" in their name (with the exception of one). The grayscale images do not.

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #58by Art Blos » 29.09.2017, 13:27

CM1215 wrote:Check out this link
Okay, in this case, I definitely need consultations with another participant in the project.

FarGetaNik M

Post #59by FarGetaNik » 29.09.2017, 13:36

Oh my. Just check out Snowfalls originals: https://snowfall-the-cat.deviantart.com/gallery/

Concerining color, I do not trust any color images of Uranian moons around the internet, since Voyager didn't image the moons with the necessary color filters. Only Titania was imaged in all wavelenghts from a decent distance: https://fargetanik.deviantart.com/art/Titania-True-Color-647908888 But unless I see a spectrum of the individual moons translated into a visual impression the colors are up to debate.

As for LunarLambert, I highly recommend using this command, I've put some work into comparing the effect with Voyager images. You clearly see in the comarison images by CM1215 that the moons fade dark close to the terminator quicker than in reality. I use this command with an appropriate amplitude everywhere in the solar system except for cloudy surfaces (where the default value of 0 is actually appropriate).

And for Miranda, if I am honest the bump map wasn't the best to begin with, but I've put some work into matching the amplitude with reality, and when viewed from the right angle it looks fine to me:

miranda-snowfall.jpg

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #60by Art Blos » 29.09.2017, 13:41

FarGetaNik wrote:Oh my. Just check out Snowfalls originals: https://snowfall-the-cat.deviantart.com/gallery/
This time I will compare everything carefully.

FarGetaNik wrote:Concerining color, I do not trust any color images of Uranian moons around the internet, since Voyager didn't image the moons with the necessary color filters. Only Titania was imaged in all wavelenghts from a decent distance: https://fargetanik.deviantart.com/art/Titania-True-Color-647908888 But unless I see a spectrum of the individual moons translated into a visual impression the colors are up to debate.
Anyway, it's better than nothing.

FarGetaNik wrote:As for LunarLambert, I highly recommend using this command, I've put some work into comparing the effect with Voyager images. You clearly see in the comarison images that the moons fade dark close to the terminator quicker than in reality. I use this command with an appropriate amplitude everywhere in the solar system except for cloudy surfaces (where the default value of 0 is actually appropriate).
Well I do not know. I tried it for the sake of experiment, I did not like it.

Return to “Add-on releases”