Celestia in my school district.

Discuss Celestia's features, adaptations and Addons for use in educational environments
Topic author
gleemonex69
With us: 17 years 11 months

Celestia in my school district.

Post #1by gleemonex69 » 12.10.2006, 19:35

Good day everyone. I am a educational software researcher for my school district in Texas, USA. I recently found this software, downloaded it and absolutely love it. Is there any type of license that I would need to acquire? Also, I found that downloading the software, add-ons and such for the educational part time consuming and might be difficult for some teachers that are not very tech savvy. Is there some sort of CD-ROM or DVD that is available that I can take to those teachers that are interested in this? Thanks for your help.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #2by selden » 12.10.2006, 19:53

Gleemonex69,

You already agreed to the license when you installed Celestia. It's freely installable where ever you want, so long as you abide by the Gnu Public License.

Please reread the page on the Motherlode which describes Frank Gregorio's Educational Addons. I think it'll answer your other questions.
http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catal ... tional.php
Selden

Topic author
gleemonex69
With us: 17 years 11 months

Thanks.

Post #3by gleemonex69 » 12.10.2006, 21:19

Thanks for your prompt reply. I actually meant if there was a price for the media, but I will contact the fsgregs for this. Thanks for your help again.

With us: 17 years 9 months

Post #4by 114211 » 03.12.2006, 19:02

that's really awesome. do you think that theres any way i could petition or introduce the program to my school?

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #5by fsgregs » 21.12.2006, 02:44

Dear 1143211:

The best way to introduce Celestia to educational settings in a school is to first decide how you want to use it. Basically, (1) you can use it on your teaching computer by connecting it to an LCD Projector, and putting it through its paces in front of your class. By using some of the cel:url links in the educational activity series, or by inventing your own, you can showcase hundreds of places in Celestia to your student audience, from planets to black holes.

The 2nd approach is to load the program and the Celestia Educational Activity series on a class set/lab set of school computers, sit each student down in front of their own computer, turn out the lights, put on some soft "space music", and let them explore the universe personally ... by flying the Celestia spaceship. That is the approach I take, and is the one that has made my Astronomy course the most popular in the entire high school of 3,100 kids.

To get a better feel for how it all works, read the several postings in this forum thread:

http://shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10058&start=0

Once you decide how to use the program, it is not difficult to implement it. It is free for download and has only a modest fee when purchased on CD. Your school will have no problem installing it. The biggest problem will be whether your computers can run it. Unless they have a reasonably fast video card, Celestia will run slowly on many school systems.

Feel free to email me separately to discuss specific questions you may have.

Regards

Frank

slickbrick
With us: 16 years 7 months

Post #6by slickbrick » 06.02.2008, 17:51

In June we took a trip to Zion, Bryce and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon- run by Ashworth University. It was outstanding. ... ...

Return to “Celestia in Education”