"Timing" of nighttime lights.

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
Johaen
With us: 18 years 8 months

"Timing" of nighttime lights.

Post #1by Johaen » 29.12.2007, 20:17

I'm not sure if this is really a "bug", but it sure has been bugging me.

This is a picture of North America as it is right now as I type, 2:15ish PM CST. As you can see, a large portion of the US has the nighttime texture partially on, so that it appears that there are lights on the majority of the country. But there really isn't. Even St. Louis, near where I live, where it's the middle of the afternoon, and where the lights are definitely not on in real life, they are being displayed in Celestia. I believe that there needs to be a change in the timing of when the nighttime texture is drawn, so that it is much closer to the terminator.
AMD Athlon X2 4400+; 2GB OCZ Platinum RAM; 320GB SATA HDD; NVidia EVGA GeForce 7900GT KO, PCI-e, 512MB, ForceWare ver. 163.71; Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1 Gaming Soundcard; Abit AN8 32X motherboard; 600 watt Kingwin Mach1 PSU; Windows XP Media Center SP2;

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years 1 month

re

Post #2by John Van Vliet » 31.12.2007, 07:59

from your screen shot it looks like you are using multitexture setting and not openGL or openGL/Nvidia vertex shading
try scrolling threw them ( ctrl and "v" ) at the same time
some shots no clouds
multitexture 1024 x 768
openGL 1024 x 768
openGL + nvidia shaders 1024 x 768

Topic author
Johaen

Post #3by Johaen » 31.12.2007, 15:32

Incorrect. That screenshot was taken using OpenGL 2.0. Plus, even in your screenshots, the nighttime lights are showing up in the daylight.
AMD Athlon X2 4400+; 2GB OCZ Platinum RAM; 320GB SATA HDD; NVidia EVGA GeForce 7900GT KO, PCI-e, 512MB, ForceWare ver. 163.71; Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1 Gaming Soundcard; Abit AN8 32X motherboard; 600 watt Kingwin Mach1 PSU; Windows XP Media Center SP2;

dirkpitt
Developer
With us: 19 years 11 months

Post #4by dirkpitt » 01.01.2008, 06:10

Yes, this is definitely a long-standing annoyance. There are several problems here:
1. Night lights are faded according to the brightness of the terminator, but the terminator itself is not sharp enough
2. Real street lights turn on in a matter of minutes, which may be even faster than the actual transition of day->dusk.
(Some streetlight photodetectors also switch off lights at very late hours to save energy, say at midnight, but that just complicates the picture needlessly)
3. Artificial night lights, such as those on Earth, may need different "on/off" timings than natural phosphorescent glows that may exist on other planets.

cpotting
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #5by cpotting » 01.01.2008, 19:02

Perhaps this is related. I have noticed that terminator seems to start too soon. Looking at Earth from "above" and you will see that far less than 50% of it is illuminated by the sun.

The net result is that while I can look outside and still see the sun in the sky, Celestia is showing Vancouver Island in pitch darkness, both in the morning and at night. I have had to resort to increasing the ambient brightness to try to compensate, but even this is not satisfactory.
Clive Pottinger
Victoria, BC Canada

cartrite
With us: 19 years
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Post #6by cartrite » 01.01.2008, 21:06

cpotting wrote:Perhaps this is related. I have noticed that terminator seems to start too soon. Looking at Earth from "above" and you will see that far less than 50% of it is illuminated by the sun.

The net result is that while I can look outside and still see the sun in the sky, Celestia is showing Vancouver Island in pitch darkness, both in the morning and at night. I have had to resort to increasing the ambient brightness to try to compensate, but even this is not satisfactory.

Ditto That. The sunsets would "look" a lot better if there was some light on the land. Currently, just before sunset, the land is mostly if not all dark.
cartrite
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

HB M
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #7by HB » 02.01.2008, 20:19

Yes, with or without nightlight rendering, Holland remains in the dark during daytime. Such kind of darkness can usually found in areas above the polarcircle. You have to set the date to a summer season to get a more bright country. However, even then is the daylight-period too short.

Kind regards...
HB

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #8by chris » 02.01.2008, 21:15

cartrite wrote:
cpotting wrote:Perhaps this is related. I have noticed that terminator seems to start too soon. Looking at Earth from "above" and you will see that far less than 50% of it is illuminated by the sun.

Ditto That. The sunsets would "look" a lot better if there was some light on the land. Currently, just before sunset, the land is mostly if not all dark.
cartrite

Part of the problem is that right now, light scattered by the atmosphere isn't considered when calculating the brightness of a point on the Earth's surface. In reality, you can see quite well immediately after sunrise, but Celestia will show everything in complete darkness then. A related problem is that shadowed sides of objects on the Earth's surface are completely black, whereas in reality scattering of light by the sky reduces the depth of these shadows.

--Chris

Topic author
Johaen

Post #9by Johaen » 02.01.2008, 22:34

chris wrote:Part of the problem is that right now, light scattered by the atmosphere isn't considered when calculating the brightness of a point on the Earth's surface.

Any plans anytime soon to consider this atmosphere light scattering to brighten the surface?

Return to “Bugs”