Centauri Hegemony (images included)

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
cartrite
With us: 19 years
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Post #21by cartrite » 27.11.2007, 20:12

Neethis,
I posted a comment in Don's thread in the Users forum. http://www.celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic ... 6143#96143
I never used your user name, but I was referring to this. After hearing your side, I'll take your word that nothing was copied and apologize for rushing to judgment. I still feel the same as I posted, but not with you in mind. Anyhow, I hope this was all a misunderstanding.
cartrite
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

Topic author
Neethis
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #22by Neethis » 27.11.2007, 20:24

Thank you, cartrite :)
FOR SALE: One small planet, red in colour, two small moons included. Moving due to difficult neighbours. Atmosphere and price negotiable.

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 11 months

Post #23by BobHegwood » 27.11.2007, 20:45

Neethis?

So are you saying that these textures are not posted on another
public website somewhere? If that's the case, then please forgive MY
intrusion also...

Let me add though, that the only thing Don has EVER asked from
anyone using his textures, is to let him know how and where they
will be used. Don did allow me to use some of his textures a long
time ago (in a galaxy far, far away...) in one or two of my script
packages, and he had NO problem with allowing me to use them. All
he wants is to be made aware of how/where they will be used.

Surely that's not too much to ask is it?

At any rate, let's hope that all is forgiven now. These things are
supposed to be for FUN! :wink:
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

Topic author
Neethis
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #24by Neethis » 27.11.2007, 20:59

Bob,
I haven't posted the textures anywhere, I made them for myself mainly. I only posted the pictures here to see what people thought of them... I wish I never had now, heh.
I regret using the clouds without tracing down where they came from, but I honestly didn't think a few pictures would be such an issue here :( The actual Mars textures (surface, night, spec and bump) are my own, as I've said.

Neethis
FOR SALE: One small planet, red in colour, two small moons included. Moving due to difficult neighbours. Atmosphere and price negotiable.

Don. Edwards
With us: 22 years

Post #25by Don. Edwards » 27.11.2007, 21:26

OK,

Time for clarification here. Neethis did not get my texture and alter it. From my point of view, it was an attempt to duplicate it. The use of my cloud on top of this just pushed it for me.

Now that I have had time to consider my next move, I have a very workable proposition for Neethis. I will be sending him a Private message, and his response will dictate were I go from here.

On the other hand, Neethis' texture work is very reminiscent of my early works. So he is on his way to becoming a decent texture artist. I never meant for it to sound like I was berating him. I was simply acting as any artist would and does when they see something that looks almost exactly like there work. They freak, and they get angry. So I apologize for possibly coming across a little strong. But we artists tend to treat our work as though they are our children and we know how parents can be when protecting there young.

Ok enough said, issue is as far as I am concerned closed.

Don. Edwards
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

Reiko
With us: 17 years 11 months

Re: Centauri Hegemony (images included)

Post #26by Reiko » 27.11.2007, 21:49

Neethis wrote:
I'm working on night maps for all of the inhabited worlds, and also on more uninhabitable planets and moons, as well as an Earth suffering from environmental and social collapse. I may post more some time.

Looks great! How long before it's ready? :D

Christophe
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #27by Christophe » 28.11.2007, 11:19

Cham wrote:All the published textures, from ANYBODY in the Celestia community, are totally free. You can use them and edit them AS YOU WISH, without even having to ask the premission from anybody, as soon as you don't sell the textures or make money from them.

I don't agree with this. The Celestia licence makes no provision on the licence used for addons, to the contrary Chris has explicitly stated several times that addon creators are not bound by any licence.

That means that textures part of addons are distributed under the licence chosen by its creator or imposed on him by the source material he used.

If no licence is explicitly stated by the addon creator, then clearly no right to redistribute or modify it is granted, even for non commercial use. And conversely if a texture is distributed under a free licence, then it may be used freely even for commercial use, but you still have to credit the original author.

Fridger wrote:No matter what the license is, it is a matter of fairness and good upbringing to acknowledge other people's original work!!

Fairness has nothing to do with this, the GPL and other free licences rely on copyright law, by not giving credit to the original author of a freely licenced work you are breaking the law.

The only exception to this is public domain, which is very rarely used in the opensource world.
Christophe

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #28by t00fri » 28.11.2007, 12:44

Christophe wrote:
Fridger wrote:No matter what the license is, it is a matter of fairness and good upbringing to acknowledge other people's original work!!

Fairness has nothing to do with this, the GPL and other free licences rely on copyright law, by not giving credit to the original author of a freely licenced work you are breaking the law.

oh yes, Christophe,

fairness etc has a lot to do with this and similar cases. Legally, you are presumably right with your explanations. Personally, I don't care much about all these legal aspects. We are not commercial distributors of software who have to care about such formal "horror" from within their professional constraints. We are also not a bunch of lawyers.

Yet I personally feel pretty much annoyed if I see someone snatch my ideas without giving proper credit, WHATEVER the license was. For me this just has to do with proper "inter human" respect and behaviour.

For scientists giving adequate credit is a BASIC necessity to keep science alive, no matter whether a Nobel Prize winner or one of my PhD students is concerned.

In these cases I also don't know about the LEGAL situation, but it is clear that my colleagues or students would never talk to me again, if I would deliberately miss out giving credit to their work.

Bye Fridger
Last edited by t00fri on 29.11.2007, 08:42, edited 2 times in total.

Christophe
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #29by Christophe » 28.11.2007, 13:15

t00fri wrote:oh yes, Christophe, fairness etc has a lot to do with this and similar cases. Legally, you are presumably right with your explanations. Personally, I don't care much about all this. We are not commercial distributors of software who have to care about such formal "horror" from within their professional constraints. We are also not a bunch of lawyers.

Yet I personally feel pretty much annoyed if I see someone snatch my ideas without giving proper credit, WHATEVER the license was. For me this just has to do with proper "inter human" respect and behaviour.

For scientists giving adequate credit is a BASIC necessity to keep science alive, no matter whether a Nobel Prize winner or one of my PhD students is concerned.

In these cases I also don't know about the LEGAL situation, but it is clear that my colleagues or students would never talk to me again, if I would deliberately miss out giving credit to their work.

I'm not saying that morality is not important, I just wanted to stress that contrary to what people were infering in this thread, free software doesn't mean public domain and that proper attribution is crucial, required and an unavoidable prerequisite for FOSS.

Note also that the situation you describe in the scientific field is a perfect match for what happens in the open source world. Here reputation and respectability are highly valued too, and most contributors do their best to not jeopardize it by "forgetting" to give proper credit where it is due.
Christophe

bdm
With us: 19 years 2 months

Post #30by bdm » 29.11.2007, 01:51

t00fri wrote:For scientists giving adequate credit is a BASIC necessity to keep science alive

Which is why it's not unusual to see the references at the end of a scientific paper take up almost as many pages as the actual text of the paper itself.

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #31by t00fri » 29.11.2007, 08:40

bdm wrote:
t00fri wrote:For scientists giving adequate credit is a BASIC necessity to keep science alive
Which is why it's not unusual to see the references at the end of a scientific paper take up almost as many pages as the actual text of the paper itself.

Indeed!

Bye Fridger

Dollan
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #32by Dollan » 01.12.2007, 16:42

Don...

Just as a clarification: some time ago, when you were talking about leaving Celestia for good, you stated that certain textures that you had made would be public domain, with no credit neccessary. I asked you specifically about your cloud textures, the best I can find anywhere, and you confirmed that statement.

Are you retracting that, now? I need to know, because I often use the clouds that you made, and while I no longer have plans to upload add-ons to the Motherlode (a decision based on my available free time and nothing else), I do use pictures of the worlds on my website. If you want acknowledgment for the textures, then I can do so easily.

Let me know, please, either here or via email.

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

BobHegwood

Post #33by BobHegwood » 05.12.2007, 21:04

Does anyone know if Don's site is still working? I have certainly been
unable to reach Earth Central and Mars Central in particular. Since I
very much wanted to link to Don's site, I cannot now do this.

Don?

Anybody?

Thanks, Brain-Dead

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #34by selden » 05.12.2007, 22:33

Bob,

What Web address are you having problems accessing?

Don's Earth Central Web pages that I'm aware of are on Shatters.net. They're incredibly slow, but worked for me just now.

http://www.celestiaproject.net/~impulse/Earth_ ... ntral.html

http://www.celestiaproject.net/~impulse/Mars_C ... ntral.html

Selden

BobHegwood

Post #35by BobHegwood » 05.12.2007, 23:03

selden wrote:Bob,

What Web address are you having problems accessing?

Don's Earth Central Web pages that I'm aware of are on Shatters.net. They're incredibly slow, but worked for me just now.

http://www.celestiaproject.net/~impulse/Earth_ ... ntral.html

http://www.celestiaproject.net/~impulse/Mars_C ... ntral.html

Well, after I ENTERed Earth Central, there was nothing there.

Now there is... Curiouser and Curiouser. Sorry Selden. Sorry Don.

Honest, it wasn't there earlier. Dunno what happened. I'm aware
that it's a slow pipe, but the only thing I could access earlier was
the TDAT section. Everything else was just gone. At least
according to my browser.

On the other hand, I just updated it too, so you never know.

Sorry again, and thanks as always.

Return to “Add-on development”