Problem with add-on

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Kelteel
With us: 17 years

Post #21by Kelteel » 07.09.2007, 22:43

t00fri

The formost task is mass rendering of 10000+ galaxies without any human intereference! Whatever you suggested above, how could this possibly be achieved for 10000 galaxies!?

I have a question about the above quote. Are you saying there are 10,000 galaxies/nebulas in Celestia?

Kel
v838 Monocerotis is my home until Eta Carina finally goes supernova.

Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #22by Cham » 07.09.2007, 23:06

Kelteel wrote:I have a question about the above quote. Are you saying there are 10,000 galaxies/nebulas in Celestia?

In the file deepsky.dsc (current CVS Celestia 1.5.0), there are 10937 galaxies defined. 8)
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #23by t00fri » 08.09.2007, 08:35

Kelteel wrote:t00fri

The formost task is mass rendering of 10000+ galaxies without any human intereference! Whatever you suggested above, how could this possibly be achieved for 10000 galaxies!?

I have a question about the above quote. Are you saying there are 10,000 galaxies/nebulas in Celestia?

Kel

Yes, of course, as to galaxies, I have implemented the complete, revised NGC/IC catalog in it's latest version (Jan 2006) that was highly improved by fitting the galaxy positions and extensions to the DSS imaging. So not a single galaxy is missing from that catalog! This includes galaxies as dim as 16.5 magnitude.

I have recently augmented the NGC/IC catalog by galaxies from the Local Group volume (V <~ (10 Mpc)^3), i.e. the complete Catalog of Neighboring Galaxies (Karachentsev+, 2004), etc. So ALL galaxies and notably dwarf galaxies from the local group are included as well...

The galaxy distances where obtained by combining 10 specialized galaxy catalogs and exploiting the most accurate distance determination methods by means of a 1000 line PERL script... Notably, the new NED-1D: NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database of Distances is completely implemented!

Here is a view of what Celestia looks like after starting my CELX script z-dist.celx that is now part of Celestia 1.5.0. All galaxies are represented as dots, the 'redness' of which indicates their redshift as calculated from the comoving distance expression.

Here is some amazing crosscheck about the accuracy of the MilkyWay arms by displaying the catalog of pulsars (localized along the arms) over our Milkyway rendering both in face-on view and sideways.

Have a click for kingsize (important!)!
The green cross marks the sun's position in Orion's arm of the MW. The line from there to the center of the MW corresponds to zero galactic longitude.

The sideways views also confirm the thickness profile of our MilkyWay from the scatter of the pulsar locations! The yellow crosses mark the precise location of the galactic plane whence the perfect alignment of the Celestia MilkyWay becomes obvious...

Have a click for kingsize (important!)!
The second image shows sideways views of the alignment quality where the top and bottom images differ by a 90 degree rotation within the galactic plane. Look for the sun's position...

------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought you had informed yourself before writing proposals to "improve" Celestia's galaxies... ;-)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bye Fridger

Return to “Celestia Users”