Text adding

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
peterwgavin
With us: 17 years 1 month

Text adding

Post #1by peterwgavin » 29.08.2007, 03:47

I dont know whether this is already out as an add-on, so this could be considered a request for a link to the topic/download. Anyway, is there an add-on where you can add text and bookmark them to make a sort of diary or journal?

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #2by selden » 29.08.2007, 04:18

Not really. If you're thinking of the NCIS episode, that part was imaginary. It probably could be done, although the file wouldn't really be hidden as they implied. The file could be "hidden" (or hard to find, anyhow) so far as locating it within Celestia would be concerned, but it'd be just another file in Celestia's directory so far as the operating system's concerned, and not really hidden at all.

Of course, I'm probably not thinking about it in the right way. Some form of steganography could be used, maybe.
Selden

Topic author
peterwgavin
With us: 17 years 1 month

Post #3by peterwgavin » 29.08.2007, 12:02

Oh well, it was just a thought, it seemed kind of unlikely.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #4by selden » 24.02.2008, 22:40

Of course, as it turns out, it's so trivially easy that it's usually overlooked. I know I didn't think of it. It took Runar complaining that .celx InfoURLs had stopped working for him to cause my AHA!

When you specify an InfoURL in an SSC file, Celestia tells the operating system to open the specified file using the program associated with its filetype. If it's of type .html, your default Web browser is run. If it's of type .celx, Celestia is run. If it's of type .txt, your default text editor is run. If it has a filetype that's associated with an encryption program, well, I think you get the picture.

Hiding the file is more difficult. Hiding the object in Celestia's 3D space is easy, but isn't particularly effective by itself. After all, it does have to be specified using an InfoURL in an SSC file. And that URL does point to a file that's on the computer's disk, so the file can be found using standard search utilities. Hiding it in plain sight is probably the best recourse.

So, anyhow, here's an SSC file which hides a bright yellow diary in the center of the Sun. Call it something else and include it in your largest Addon ;)

Code: Select all

"MyDiary" "Sol" {
Radius 1000
Color [ 1 1 0 ]
Emissive true
EllipticalOrbit { SemiMajorAxis 1e-32 Period 1e32}
InfoURL "mydiary.txt"
}

At least an empty mydiary.txt must already exist.
Selden

SkyScraper
With us: 18 years 6 months

Post #5by SkyScraper » 25.02.2008, 01:28

It could allso be hiding a link as usual but the link whold not be accesible by other means. Let's say:
InfoURL "and here goes the link for my profile's outbox on the forum"
But then you allso need the cookies so you will be logged in.

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 6 months

Post #6by Fenerit » 25.02.2008, 09:35

selden wrote:

When you specify an InfoURL in an SSC file, Celestia tells the operating system to open the specified file using the program associated with its filetype. If it's of type .html, your default Web browser is run. If it's of type .celx, Celestia is run. If it's of type .txt, your default text editor is run. If it has a filetype that's associated with an encryption program, well, I think you get the picture.

InfoURL "you_info_dir/*.pdf"

works too.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Fenerit M

Post #7by Fenerit » 25.02.2008, 09:41

Selden, what happen? NOW WORK EVEN WITH .EXE!!!

InfoURL "you_info_dir/you_exe_file.exe"

NOW WORKS!!!
Never at rest.
Massimo

Guckytos
With us: 20 years 4 months

Post #8by Guckytos » 25.02.2008, 18:42

Oooops,

if it is working with executeables it could also be used to do things that are nasty.

Perhaps, but only perhaps, it should be reconsidered/reprogrammed to work only with defined objekt types, like clex, txt, html and some others.

Otherwise it could be seen a security leak. Or a feature depending on yoour point of view.

Yes, I am in paranoia mode :twisted: :twisted:

Regards,

Guckytos

Fenerit M

Post #9by Fenerit » 25.02.2008, 19:01

Guckytos wrote:Oooops,

if it is working with executeables it could also be used to do things that are nasty.

Perhaps, but only perhaps, it should be reconsidered/reprogrammed to work only with defined objekt types, like clex, txt, html and some others.

Otherwise it could be seen a security leak. Or a feature depending on yoour point of view.

Yes, I am in paranoia mode :twisted: :twisted:

Regards,

Guckytos

Well, indeed. Not with virus in mind, but for Windows users only, that should advantage of the feature; why they can to launch calculators as well as Stellarium within Celestia and Mac and Linux users cannot?

EDIT LATER:

Mac and Linux users: do you have the same feature?
Never at rest.
Massimo

Return to “Add-on development”