future MMPORG?

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
jfiggs1
With us: 17 years 1 month

future MMPORG?

Post #1by jfiggs1 » 22.08.2007, 01:51

Any plans for an MMPORG based on Celestia's environment? $$$$
[]D[][]V[][]D

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Re: future MMPORG?

Post #2by ElChristou » 22.08.2007, 03:10

jfiggs1 wrote:Any plans for an MMPORG based on Celestia's environment? $$$$

What means $$$$? money?

Hungry4info
With us: 19 years

Re: future MMPORG?

Post #3by Hungry4info » 22.08.2007, 03:51

jfiggs1 wrote:Any plans for an MMPORG based on Celestia's environment? $$$$

Celestia is (well.. supposed to be anyway) a representation of the universe as the eye would see it. It's also intended to be (but isn't, sadly) scientificly accurate. It does not (and I can't see any reason why it should) support multiplayer ability. Perhaps if you wanted, you could verse yourself in programming and create your own MMORPG. To which I wish you the best of luck.
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Matthias Gris

Post #4by Matthias Gris » 22.08.2007, 14:14

how about collaborating with the Galaxiki project, whereby there is a Celestia client incorporating the galaxiki galaxy database, with the option to recieve updates from the Galaxiki website as users modify content.

This would be a wiki equivalent of Will Wrights new game; Spore, where there is no multiplayer as such, but your singleplayer game will connect online to grab other users game data in order to populate the rest of the single player game.

that would be cool.

Topic author
jfiggs1

Post #5by jfiggs1 » 23.08.2007, 00:57

Sorry, I didn't mean to be cryptic. $$$$ means that it could be lucrative if it were popular.

I can think of plenty of reasons why it would be engaging and entertaining to have an MMPORG on the scale of Celestia. I'm not saying that Celestia should be changed to support an MMPORG. I just think it would be really cool to have a changing environment (new info about galaxies, stars, extra-solar planets, etc. are always streaming in) in which real info is incorporated with "science fictional" economy. There could be bases on the Moon and Mars, there could be upgradable limits on stellar travel, and so on. Any development team that could collaborate with the creators of Celestia and its "environment engine" would have plenty of space in which to create a realistic environment where people could interact, conduct commerce and travel, and learn about, at least in our own galaxy, while playing a role defined by what they can exploit through exploration.

I could go on about it, but I'm not a programmer. I don't know the first thing about creating a game. However, I find myself exploring the "world" of Celestia and wanting to experience the effects of gravity and to see certain perspectives that I wouldn't otherwise be able to do without Celestia. It would be completely immersive to have a purpose as well. Don't get me wrong, I spend hours using Celestia to get a more intuitive grasp of reality, like most people familiar with it, but it would be fantastic to be engaged with other people real time exploring it.

As far as it being scientifically accurate, I think Celestia does more to raising my awareness of reality enough to keep me using it continually to understand than anything else available. Besides, all the information that keeps accumulating through NASA, ESA, etc. is as scientifically accurate as mankinds best minds can come up with at the present time.

The Wiki suggestion sounds cool. I'll have to check that out.

Maybe in reality what would be found out, is that there are not enough subscribers to the MMPORG to ever cross paths often enough.

Anyone else think it would be entertaining to be able to visit other solar systems and interact in a science based, continually updated world?

If you had a modest spaceship, where would you start?
[]D[][]V[][]D

rthorvald
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #6by rthorvald » 23.08.2007, 02:02

jfiggs1 wrote:Anyone else think it would be entertaining to be able to visit other solar systems and interact in a science based, continually updated world?

I wouldn??t be interested in a MMPORG at all...
But making it possible to network Celestia as it is today would be cool indeed. I can see several interesting applications - from just talking with other Celestians inside the program while sharing camera viewpoints, to demo modes where one computer controls many - for example in a classroom.

But, i seriously doubt the developers will take time off to do this. Though it might not be too hard to do - is there not open source libraries one could plug in? I don??t know what i am talking about here at all...

- rthorvald

jb55
With us: 17 years 5 months

Post #7by jb55 » 27.08.2007, 01:38

See here: http://www.fl-tw.com/Infinity/

It's a space MMO still under development that is focused on realism. Featuring procedural generation on pretty much everything: planet surfaces, solar systems, nebulae, etc. You can even fly right down onto a planet and back again with no load screens.

I really don't think an mmo based off of the celestia source would work out very well, which is why it's nice to see a game like infinity around that will deliver a reasonably accurate representation of the universe and hopefully be fun as well!

Return to “Development”