Interior of the planets

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #101by Cham » 25.04.2007, 03:22

I'm not sure if this is a good idea. I was thinking about adding some submarine volcano illustration, with a billboard like this :

However, under such a thick ocean (100 km) and pressure, are volcanoes like this are actually possible ?
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Topic author
Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 6 months

Post #102by Fenerit » 25.04.2007, 04:11

Undoubtedly the idea of placing in the model the photographs itselfs is very fashinating. Now I'm thinking at the proper way of doing it with the right references, in compliance to the tree-fold relate parts of the break; but the manner developed by Cham is surely worthy also for this purpose, because to add at the model one or more plains could permits of obtaining a very high resolution details, expecially in the case of light polarized crystals. Otherwise, a group of "moon" or "spacecraft" which orbit around the model texturized with photographs of the oxides, silicates and similar, even though the distortion caused by the sphere could be affect the presentation; perhaps is better a plane.
I'm planning a screenshot of a cross section only with the purpose of how to do this and how to insert in the model, without completeness of what the image will show, but just as example.

buggs_moran
With us: 20 years

Post #103by buggs_moran » 25.04.2007, 15:33

I think that last example is great Cham, but is there a reason to make it so big? Couldn't you make the pictures a standard size and have celurls to bring you to each example? That way, more info and text could be added. Perhaps Vincent could weigh in on this as well with his lua addon, (i.e. could these two ideas link somehow)... I really like what you're on to here from a teaching angle.

edit: man, wouldn't it be awesome if you could click on that box and see/hear an explanation of what is going on...
Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Cham M

Post #104by Cham » 25.04.2007, 16:36

buggs,

do you suggest to place a smaller pict for the submarine volcano ?

"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Aphyle2007

Post #105by Aphyle2007 » 25.04.2007, 18:36

Cham wrote:I'm not sure if this is a good idea. I was thinking about adding some submarine volcano illustration, with a billboard like this :

However, under such a thick ocean (100 km) and pressure, are volcanoes like this are actually possible ?

Sure, they would be - with "smokers", pressure forces water into lateral cracks, and when the water comes in contact with hot rock, it is superheated and forced outwards again. Take a look at this link:

http://www.oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explo ... field.html

and:

http://www.oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explo ... lcano.html

So long as the superheated water exerts a greater pressure than the surrounding water, it should work fine. And whereas the mass of water in Europa would be greater than on Earth, the weight should be less - would that affect the pressure at the bottom of the Europan ocean?

Eric

buggs_moran

Post #106by buggs_moran » 25.04.2007, 19:40

Cham wrote:buggs,

do you suggest to place a smaller pict for the submarine volcano ?

Yes, only because I would imagine as you zoomed into the picture the same quality would be available as in the large one. I think that you could have more shots or even text descriptions aside the pictures. I really like it either way, but perhaps the interior shot should be the same size to conform to the exterior pictures... I don't know, you are the creator, I trust your judgment.
Homebrew:

WinXP Pro SP2

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

1 GB Crucial RAM

80 GB WD SATA drive

ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #107by fsgregs » 26.04.2007, 01:04

Cham:

Your models are wonderful. Please plan to publish them on ML with an English translation. I will surely use them in my own courses.

Frank

Cham M

Post #108by Cham » 26.04.2007, 01:16

There's already an English version. Here it is. Tell me if there's any mistake :

But really, I don't know where to put that model yet. Around Jupiter ? It's "interfering" with the moons. Around Europa itself ? I'm not sure.

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #109by fsgregs » 26.04.2007, 01:46

Cham:

Thanks for the English version. I look forward to you making it available for download.

But really, I don't know where to put that model yet. Around Jupiter ? It's "interfering" with the moons. Around Europa itself ? I'm not sure.

When I use such things in my courses, I put the add-on around another star entirely, somewhere out in space. I then go to it via a simple bookmark in Celestia, or a cel:url if I'm using a teaching document or script.

In your case, you can put another Jupiter around some type G4 star similiar in size to our Sun, then put Europa, Ganymede and a few other cut-away moons in orbit around this 2nd Jupiter. It really works great. Include a read-me file that contains a cel:url to your new Europa. Instruct the reader to click on the cel:url to launch Celestia. They will go directly to the other star, and orbit the cut-away Europa. Then, simply tell them to bookmark the location by pressing [Ctrl+Insert]. Once they do, they will be able to go to the cut-away Europa whenever they wish, by accessing the bookmark.

To return to our regular solar system, simply press [H] and [G].

:)

Frank

Cham M

Post #110by Cham » 26.04.2007, 01:49

fsgregs,

please, suggest me a G2 star to use. :)

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #111by Fenerit » 26.04.2007, 18:19

As required by Aphyle2007,

The new Interior of Earth with new textures is here:

http://fenerit.webng.com/files/Interior-Earth_new.zip

about 21 Mb (JPG;DDS)

Step 1:
Before install, remove the previous; the models are now all transparents, for some future adds.
The addon will be displaced around the defaut Earth because someone couldn't be agree with the lack of the advanced Celestia's features for the planet, hence for the moment I've made inactive the relevant .SSC files for doing this operation.

Step 2:
The new zip pack contains also two inactive versions of INTERIOR-OF-EARTH.SSC file: one for .DDS texture and one for .JPG texture; in choosing the specific .SSC file, simply rename it by erasing the redundant text. In this way you would be shelter from fails. After this, the addon can be used with the new maps as it is.

Step 3:
In the case you be want the addon inside the default Earth, let do the same thing for the rest and change the location in the new main .SSC file as well as were typed previously, for example: "SOL" instead of "SOL/EARTH".

How I've just said, once the addon will be ready as you prefer, with the right mouse click will be possible to choose among the maps. I've add some comments to the .SSC codes as explanation of to do certain operations.
Because the models are now properly oriented, the DEMO.CEL file contain the Richmond coordinates, so that if you subst (after backup) the current one in the main Celestia's directory, the "D" key will place your eyes over your capital state (not useful for the Interior, but it can be for the default Earth after a navigation in the space or if you are interested in knowing where should be Richmond on Proteus, for example...).

For further (I hope of not) problems, I'm here.
Last edited by Fenerit on 16.09.2007, 01:31, edited 3 times in total.

buggs_moran

Post #112by buggs_moran » 26.04.2007, 20:54

Cham wrote:fsgregs,

please, suggest me a G2 star to use. :)

Why not create one, perhaps, EduSol, 10000 LY off so as not to interfere with the local star systems, etc...

That way you could package your assortment of add ons with a new edusolarsys.ssc that had Magnetic Earth, Cross Section Earth, etc...

Are you doing a cross section of Jupiter?
Homebrew:

WinXP Pro SP2

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

1 GB Crucial RAM

80 GB WD SATA drive

ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Cham M

Post #113by Cham » 26.04.2007, 21:16

buggs_moran wrote:Why not create one, perhaps, EduSol, 10000 LY off so as not to interfere with the local star systems, etc...

Excellent idea ! :D

Yep, lets go for an "EduSol".

8)

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #114by ajtribick » 26.04.2007, 21:17

Since super-Earths have come into the news recently, maybe consider this one: Radius and Structure models for the First Super-Earth Planet. This one deals with the innermost planet of Gliese 876.

buggs_moran

Post #115by buggs_moran » 26.04.2007, 21:24

The downfall of EduSol will of course be the lack of proper constellations, but that's not what it's for anyway... Too bad we can't have alternate models in the same way as alternate textures... OR, perhaps you could do a scaled down version of the cross section planets that sit inside the current planets/moons at 1/10 size, you really couldn't lose any resolution or data this way, right? Plus the informational model is contained within the real.
Homebrew:

WinXP Pro SP2

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

1 GB Crucial RAM

80 GB WD SATA drive

ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Aphyle2007

Post #116by Aphyle2007 » 27.04.2007, 00:47

buggs_moran wrote:The downfall of EduSol will of course be the lack of proper constellations, but that's not what it's for anyway... Too bad we can't have alternate models in the same way as alternate textures... OR, perhaps you could do a scaled down version of the cross section planets that sit inside the current planets/moons at 1/10 size, you really couldn't lose any resolution or data this way, right? Plus the informational model is contained within the real.

Of course, one would not need to have it 10k LY away, and yet retain the constellations. If, however, the interest is on internal structure, constellations are just "noise," so it EduSol could go practically anyplace out of the way.

Aphyle2007

Aphyle2007

Post #117by Aphyle2007 » 27.04.2007, 00:50

Fenerit wrote:How I've just said, once the addon will be ready as you prefer, with the right mouse click will be possible to choose among the maps. I've add some comments to the .SSC codes as explanation of to do certain operations.
Because the models are now properly oriented, the DEMO.CEL file contain the Richmond coordinates, so that if you subst (after backup) the current one in the main Celestia's directory, the "D" key will place your eyes over your capital state (not useful for the Interior, but it can be for the default Earth after a navigation in the space or if you are interested in knowing where should be Richmond on Proteus, for example...).

For further (I hope of not) problems, I'm here.

This is fantastic! Thank you. I am downloading now and will try it out right away, according to your instructions. We are ending classes for the semester now, but I am already planning for fall. I will let you know how these work.

Is there any additional data that you might require, that I might look up for you?

Aphyle2007

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #118by Fenerit » 27.04.2007, 22:11

Thank you Aphyle2007 for the courtesy. For now I've a lot of data and I'm working on; nevertheless, some data in the style of the last posted: name, number, typology, that is, a quite simple parameters, are welcome. I am almost ready for a crossection's screenshot.

For Buggs_Moran. I've some problems with the altsurface maps out of the Solar System: they do not work; neither inside the main .SSC file nor in a different file. In this latter case they do not works also in the our system. My Celestia version is 1.4.1. PC Duron 750, 768 Mb RAM, GeForce 440Mx 256.

tech2000
With us: 18 years 7 months

Post #119by tech2000 » 01.05.2007, 01:10

Cham:
Here is Saturn if you want to contine create the interior of the entire solar system. :wink:

Cheers,
Anders

Cham M

Post #120by Cham » 01.05.2007, 01:20

tech2000,

this is a nice pict ! :o Is it a real model in Celestia ?

However, in the case of Jupiter and Saturn, there is no sharp layers inside, and only a continuous transition from gazeous to liquid and solid. So I don't think a model like this one would be very accurate of the real thing.

I'm not sure I'll make any other cross section model of anything else. Most structures are, well, ... dull to watch. And my motivation is pretty low right now. Actually, I must admit that my general enthusiasm toward Celestia is decreasing, considering all the uncorrected bugs and the low number of properly working new features since a whole year... :cry:

Return to “Add-on development”