Viewing the night sky from the surface of earth

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #21by t00fri » 23.04.2007, 20:13

Old friend ;-),

I can virtually see you stand out there down in Paraquay, closing one eye and staring at the moon ...

cheers,
Fridger

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #22by ElChristou » 23.04.2007, 20:17

t00fri wrote:Old friend ;-),

I can virtually see you stand out there down in Paraquay, closing one eye and staring at the moon ...

cheers,
Fridger

:lol: Yes, quite ridiculous indeed! :lol:... I hate the moon now in Celestia! I think I will trash all the Apollo models! :twisted:

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #23by chris » 23.04.2007, 21:47

ElChristou wrote:Despite the technical challenge, it could be a very nice option for Celestia (having a setting to turn on/off the physiological size of the moon -> for those who don't like the idea) to make it one more step before all softs in this category...

There is no technical challenge--all you have to do is increase the radius of the Moon by a factor of 4 in solarsys.ssc. Of course, this will cause problems in lunar mission recreations (among other things, as Fridger mentioned), but you can't have both accuracy and a larger than life moon.

--Chris

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #24by ElChristou » 24.04.2007, 01:02

chris wrote:
ElChristou wrote:Despite the technical challenge, it could be a very nice option for Celestia (having a setting to turn on/off the physiological size of the moon -> for those who don't like the idea) to make it one more step before all softs in this category...

There is no technical challenge--all you have to do is increase the radius of the Moon by a factor of 4 in solarsys.ssc. Of course, this will cause problems in lunar mission recreations (among other things, as Fridger mentioned), but you can't have both accuracy and a larger than life moon.

--Chris

Sorry Chris, by technical challenge I mean changing the rendering size in real time depending of the position of observer, not changing the physical size of the moon (which would be a real shame vis-? -vis Celestia goals...).

I have no idea if this is possible but if so, I'm pretty sure it won't be simple...

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #25by Chuft-Captain » 24.04.2007, 12:57

I would think you could use Beginning / Ending directives to temporarily modify the radius of the moon for "special viewing" over a specific time-period (avoiding 1969 of course :wink:)
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

Return to “Celestia Users”