Scale of the universe

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Topic author
Colin_hutcheson
With us: 17 years 7 months

Scale of the universe

Post #1by Colin_hutcheson » 19.02.2007, 12:55

If anyone has ever wondered about where things are in space, or how big it is this is a good starting point:

http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/

Colin

Hungry4info
With us: 19 years

Re: Scale of the universe

Post #2by Hungry4info » 19.02.2007, 20:04

Colin_hutcheson wrote:If anyone has ever wondered about where things are in space, or how big it is

Celestia is also a good place. :D
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

LordFerret M
With us: 18 years 1 month

Post #3by LordFerret » 20.02.2007, 05:45

Of all the books and tv programs I've ever seen, none of them ever opened my eyes to the immensity, distance, or beauty of space, to the degree that cruising about and exploring with Celestia has.

STARNIGHTER
With us: 18 years 3 months

Post #4by STARNIGHTER » 20.02.2007, 14:30

I agree! Celestia is the best way to fully realize our universe in terms of depth! I spent most of my life, beginning at age 4, watching the starry sky. Over the years, all the books, schooling, and practical observing can only go so far in allowing a person to fully understand what it's like out there. Celestia is the best experience, next to actually going out among the stars!

If you spend all your life gazing at a distant forest, but never get to walk over to it, you'll never get the feel of what it's like over there, no matter how many books you might read about that forest. Only going there, even if simulated in a 3D program, gives your mind the full sensation and depth! Hope that helps.

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #5by fsgregs » 06.03.2007, 02:01

LordFerret:

I totally share your excitement over the size of the universe. In fact, that topic is the primary topic in the first Celestia Educational Activity. Activity 1&2, the Universe, discusses both the size of the universe and its age. It uses Celestia to take you on a tour of the immensity of space, from Earth to far beyond the Milky Way. You can find the educational activities at the Motherlode education page, located at: http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/educational.php

If you've never taken an educational journey, I urge you to do so. Activity 1 is the ideal starting point.

Regards

Frank G

LordFerret M
With us: 18 years 1 month

Post #6by LordFerret » 06.03.2007, 06:49

Frank,

Thanks for sharing the link! I'd seen it at the Motherload quite some time ago but had forgotten about it. :oops: I will have to take a look at it. I also have a young nephew whom I will share it with (quite the budding astronomer). :D

galaxyal
With us: 17 years 6 months

Post #7by galaxyal » 06.03.2007, 18:49

Hello everybody, I am a newcomer and just looked at this post about dimensions and population of the Universe.
I spent about 2 hours this afternoon with Activity 1 of Celestia ED. As already mentioned by fsgregs I completely agree about the fact that there is no better way to answer the questions by travelling in the craft Celestia One and taking the time to look around, take notes and so on. The link of Colin is interesting but I think that nothing compares to Celestia. In fact I know some professional astronomers of the Observatory of Strasbourg that work also in Chili for the VLT, those guys told me that they use Celestia to find quicky some objects.
Have a good day, it's already dark here in France.
galaxyal
Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film !

STARNIGHTER
With us: 18 years 3 months

Post #8by STARNIGHTER » 07.03.2007, 18:43

Welcome, GALAXYAL!

Celestia is amazing. If there were computers with Celestia back in the 1950's and 1960's, it sure would have enhanced my astronomical viewing beyond belief. The old Skalnate-Pleso atlas, and a crude planisphere seemed to work for me, but Celestia would have been phonomenal!

Celestia works great on my newer XP computer, works very slow on an older 98 machine, and I'm still trying to figure out how to run it on my old Commodore 64 :lol:

Return to “Physics and Astronomy”