Up-to-date images of Saturn moons imaged from Cassini

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
DonAVP
With us: 18 years 10 months

Up-to-date images of Saturn moons imaged from Cassini

Post #1by DonAVP » 04.02.2007, 02:07

At the bottom of this LINK http://ciclops.org/view_event.php?id=58 are image maps of several moons of Saturn that were created this last year. I think all you need to do is save them rename them and copy them into you texture folder.

Don
Don't know anything

danielj
With us: 21 years 1 month

Re: Up-to-date images of Saturn moons imaged from Cassini

Post #2by danielj » 04.02.2007, 13:35

No,it??s not that simple,since we have the grid and don??t know how to eliminate the grid.But,wow...look at this,a 12068x6048 texture map of Tethys.Very high resolution!

DonAVP wrote:At the bottom of this LINK http://ciclops.org/view_event.php?id=58 are image maps of several moons of Saturn that were created this last year. I think all you need to do is save them rename them and copy them into you texture folder.

Don

danielj

Post #3by danielj » 04.02.2007, 14:42

I used Photoshop,cut and copy.But the texture needs an adjustment.There is a piece missing.It is not possible to cut straight.I lost about 1000 pixels(11510X5650) in case of Tethys texture.

danielj wrote:No,it??s not that simple,since we have the grid and don??t know how to eliminate the grid.But,wow...look at this,a 12068x6048 texture map of Tethys.Very high resolution!

DonAVP wrote:At the bottom of this LINK http://ciclops.org/view_event.php?id=58 are image maps of several moons of Saturn that were created this last year. I think all you need to do is save them rename them and copy them into you texture folder.

Don

danielj

Dione and Rhea are missing a piece

Post #4by danielj » 04.02.2007, 16:15

Look at:
http://img64.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... ilequ6.jpg
http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ecead6.jpg

The Dione texture was originally 7944X4601 and the final result was 7380X3703.
The Rheas texture was originally 7700X4200 and the final result was 7150X3612.

Of course,non power of 2 only works in Geforce 6 and 7.But reducing to 4096X2048 can take to even greater loss.Tell me what you thing.
I used the Adobe Photoshop CS and my video card is a 7600 GT.But the more incredibly is that the original size of the raw file is about 180 MB!

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #5by ANDREA » 04.02.2007, 16:35

Danielj, I don't understand why you are always doing things more difficult than they are.
You have done about half of the task.
Now with PhotoShop you must resize the texture at 4096x8192, or 2048x4096, always reducing, NEVER increasing the original size.
I have done this on Tethys texture, starting from the Ciclops 12068x6408 .png 31.2 MB image. slightly smoothing the seams among the variuous images included in the texture, and here is the final 8k result (at very low image resolution, to let it small in weight):

Very nice, IMHO.
You have all the needed stuff to obtain the same, try it.
BTW, I'm doing the same for the other Saturn moons, I find it very enjoying.
Don't you? :wink:
Bye

Andrea :D
Last edited by ANDREA on 04.02.2007, 22:01, edited 2 times in total.
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

ANDREA

Re: Dione and Rhea are missing a piece

Post #6by ANDREA » 04.02.2007, 18:08

Here the result of Enceladus, 4k png image:

and Mimas, 2k png image:

About 2 hours of work, no more. :wink:
Dione and Rhea the next ones.
Bye

HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

danielj

Post #7by danielj » 04.02.2007, 18:47

No,YOU is the one that didn??t understand.I used the full size because the smaller sizes are already available.We HAVE ALREADY a 2k map of Mimas and a 4k map of Rhea and Dione.So I think is no use to create a map slightly better if it is of the same size we found in motherlode,for example.Only the Tethys map could be interesting,but t00fri??s work is so good but I think I will wait a little longer...
Mimas,Rhea and Dione don??t have the same quality map as Titan,Tethys and Enceladus.Because of this,I choose only these moons.And I don??t understand why I can??t use a full size map since I have a Geforce 7(and YOU too) and these video card support non power of 2 textures,without problems.So,why you reduce the size of the image?

ANDREA wrote:Danielj, I don't understand why you are always doing things more difficult than they are.
You have done about half of the task.
Now with PhotoShop you must resize the texture at 4096x8192, or 2048x4096, always reducing, NEVER increasing the original size.
I have done this, starting from the Ciclops 12068x6408 .png 31.2 MB image. slightly smoothing the seams among the variuous images included in the texture, and here is the final 8k result (at very low image resolution, to let it small in weight):

[images deleted by Selden.

Daniel, please edit your quotes to remove links to images. Having to wait for them to download is very annoying.]

Very nice, IMHO.
You have all the needed stuff to obtain the same, try it.
BTW, I'm doing the same for the other Saturn moons, I find it very enjoying.
Don't you? :wink:
Bye

Boux
With us: 20 years 1 month

Post #8by Boux » 04.02.2007, 19:15

A quick job with Enceladus:
Surface map+specular map+bumpmap
Still playing with it along the lines of:
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA06254
Good as an alt surface.
Intel core i7 3770 Ivy Bridge @ 4.4 GHz -16 GB ram - 128 GB SSD cache - AMD Radeon 7970 3 GB o'clocked - Windows 7 64 Ultimate / Linux Kubuntu

ANDREA

Post #9by ANDREA » 04.02.2007, 23:21

danielj wrote:No,YOU is the one that didn??t understand.I used the full size because the smaller sizes are already available.We HAVE ALREADY a 2k map of Mimas and a 4k map of Rhea and Dione.So I think is no use to create a map slightly better if it is of the same size we found in motherlode,for example.Only the Tethys map could be interesting,but t00fri??s work is so good but I think I will wait a little longer...
Mimas,Rhea and Dione don??t have the same quality map as Titan,Tethys and Enceladus.Because of this,I choose only these moons.And I don??t understand why I can??t use a full size map since I have a Geforce 7(and YOU too) and these video card support non power of 2 textures,without problems.So,why you reduce the size of the image?

Danielj, have you got seen the dates of Ciclops images?
Fridger's images are based on much older data, so are missing something (or a lot of things, don't know what has been imaged between Fridger's data and actual ones).
The reason why I prefer to use the old system of textures sizes with multiples of 2 is because in this way my textures are compatible with everybody's graphic cards, and due to my use to try to spread the modest things I'm able to do for the community, I try to make this for ALL the Celestians, not only the ones with newest cards.
Returning to your first post, why don't you try to apply a little good sense in solving the problems you find?
In your Dione image there is a large black line due to missing data, and you are regretting this.
Well, you could choose two different lines of action:
1- accept the fact that this is what we imaged up to now, so it's exactly the real knowledge we have of Dione;
2- decide that you like a complete image, and so you could easily fill the gaps (possibly respecting the surrounding pixels color/intensity).
This must be your decision, you cannot ask other people to make it for you.
As you can see in my images I chose the second option, due to my needs of "nice" images for the shows to the students.
Here you'll find the other two moons png textures, this is Rhea 8k:

and here we have Dione 8k:

I'm finishing the jpg images of all 5 moons, i.e. Mimas-2k, Ence3ladus-4k, Tethys, Dione and Rhea 8k; moreover the scaled-down Tethys, Dione and Rhea 4k, and when ready I'll upload to MotherLode as 4 zip files, one with jpg hi-res, one png hi-res, then jpg low-res and png low-res.
In this way I hope to fill all the needs. :wink:
Bye

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #10by t00fri » 04.02.2007, 23:26

Andrea,

my 4k textures from Thetys are not THAT old ;-) Here they are:

http://www.celestialmatters.org/cm/host ... thys.shtml
(click on images)

Bye Fridger

ANDREA

Post #11by ANDREA » 04.02.2007, 23:43

t00fri wrote:Andrea, my 4k textures from Thetys are not THAT old ;-) Here they are:
(click on images) Bye Fridger

Sorry Fridger, I know very well and used your Saturn Moons textures, but I read in your Clestial Matters "T00fri's Thethys" page (the only moon common to my work):
"Jan 15, 2006: After the Ciclops imaging team released hires maps of various Saturnian moons in December 2005, i have prepared a new 4k Tethys..""
So I supposed that in one year things could be widely changed (even if, as I told in my post "don't know what has been imaged between Fridger's data and actual ones")
I hope that you like them, anyhow. :wink:

Bye

Andrea

Topic author
DonAVP
With us: 18 years 10 months

Post #12by DonAVP » 05.02.2007, 04:00

Well well. I am really glad that you all enjoy the find of moon images. I also you like you to note the other items on that page. It is a good source of new discovers over the past year on the project. I am going to email them a note about how helpful this site was and how we a Celestia have use the data.

Don
Don't know anything

t00fri
Developer

Post #13by t00fri » 05.02.2007, 08:55

ANDREA wrote:
t00fri wrote:Andrea, my 4k textures from Thetys are not THAT old ;-) Here they are:
(click on images) Bye Fridger
Sorry Fridger, I know very well and used your Saturn Moons textures, but I read in your Clestial Matters "T00fri's Thethys" page (the only moon common to my work):
"Jan 15, 2006: After the Ciclops imaging team released hires maps of various Saturnian moons in December 2005, i have prepared a new 4k Tethys..""
So I supposed that in one year things could be widely changed (even if, as I told in my post "don't know what has been imaged between Fridger's data and actual ones")
I hope that you like them, anyhow. :wink:

Bye

Andrea

Andrea,

apparently, they do /yearly/ updates of their simple cylindric projections of the Saturnian moons in December. According to my understanding the actual resulution is blown up such as to incorporate the highest resolution patch in natural pixel size. In other words there are presumably only a few hires /patches/ that have been added during the past year. At least for Thetys this is my impression. About Titan, it's qualitatively similar. They explored a particular region in hires during past year's flyby's. Large parts of the imaging resolution remained unaffected, though.

Bye Fridger

ANDREA

Post #14by ANDREA » 05.02.2007, 10:28

t00fri wrote: Andrea,apparently, they do /yearly/ updates of their simple cylindric projections of the Saturnian moons in December. According to my understanding the actual resulution is blown up such as to incorporate the highest resolution patch in natural pixel size. In other words there are presumably only a few hires /patches/ that have been added during the past year. At least for Thetys this is my impression. About Titan, it's qualitatively similar. They explored a particular region in hires during past year's flyby's. Large parts of the imaging resolution remained unaffected, though. Bye Fridger

Fridger, I had this doubt, and was almost sure that your texture of Titan was updated, so I've not done it. :wink:
But it's not been a long work, only one hour for each of the 5 texturtes, so I think it's worth the effort.
IMHO this is a never ending job, or at least let's hope it will be such for a long time more, if Cassini will go on performing in such a wonderful way.
Bye

t00fri
Developer

Post #15by t00fri » 05.02.2007, 10:54

ANDREA wrote:Fridger, I had this doubt, and was almost sure that your texture of
Titan was updated, so I've not done it. :wink:
Bye

Titan is a /lot/ of work, since the boundaries between the various
imaging patches look VERY nasty and we only got single layer maps
from Cyclops.

There is plenty of texture work I do for my own ("private") needs as I wrote elsewhere.

But any further /published/ textures from my side first require a
clearcut framework for their implementation in Celestia. As you know
I, am NOT going to get involved with doing any kinds of add-ons.
Moreover the size limit for Celestia-default textures is still 2k x 1k at
best! Not worth any further efforts on that front ;-)

Finally, in order to proceed with a well-defined coloration strategy of
hires textures, Chris first has to settle this crucial issue about
"Atmospheres and Surface Colors" that I brought up here:

http://www.celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10611

Bye Fridger

danielj

Post #16by danielj » 05.02.2007, 11:58

No,the image is complete.What I said before is that I couldn??t cut straight,so when I transferred to the new Photoshop "paper"(file?),I lost about 1000 pixels at most.So,it??s not problem of limit of knowledge.It is problems of techniques.
But about the new details of the images,I had understand,but I don??t know how to adjust the seams and make the borders smoother...

danielj

I can??t do it

Post #17by danielj » 06.02.2007, 16:58

I really try hard,but my Mimas??textures get desaligned and don??t know how to fix it.
It is 2880X1440,since in 2048X1024,a thin black line remained.
http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... nedly5.jpg
http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ed2vr1.jpg

As I said before,I didn??t know anything about image editing and this is the proof.
I guess I will have to wait a little...

t00fri
Developer

Re: I can??t do it

Post #18by t00fri » 06.02.2007, 17:04

danielj wrote:I really try hard,but my Mimas??textures get desaligned and don??t know how to fix it.

As I said before,I didn??t know anything about image editing and this is the proof.

That's where image manipulation know-how is required. In Photoshop (as well as in GIMP) there are e.g. very convenient tools to precisely get rid of such "non-matching" sharp boundaries. That's where the actual time-consuming work starts!

Bye Fridger

danielj

Post #19by danielj » 07.02.2007, 14:00

Sorry,I don??t know how I can get this know-how.Anyway,sooner or later,someone will get available some new textures based in CICLOP maps fixed.
If Celestia starts to be a program DO IT YOURSELF,I will never update this program again,because I??m only a final end user.I don??t like the path Celestia is going...
This path could scare the begginers even more and Celestia will be,each time,a elite program and not a popular one.
Some people even don??t know how to edit the solarsys.ssc.Now we have TO EDIT YOUR OWN TEXTURES!?This is my opinion,anyway...

t00fri wrote:
danielj wrote:I really try hard,but my Mimas??textures get desaligned and don??t know how to fix it.

That's where image manipulation know-how is required. In Photoshop (as well as in GIMP) there are e.g. very convenient tools to precisely get rid of such "non-matching" sharp boundaries. That's where the actual time-consuming work starts!

Bye Fridger

steffens
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #20by steffens » 07.02.2007, 14:40

danielj wrote:Sorry,I don??t know how I can get this know-how.
That's a pity, especially after you spent so much money to buy Photoshop!

danielj wrote:If Celestia starts to be a program DO IT YOURSELF,I will never update this program again,because I??m only a final end user.I don??t like the path Celestia is going...

I don't see how Celestia would have changed in that respect. To use these images as textures, you would have had to edit them the same, no matter if you are using version 1.2.x or 1.5.x. Newer versions of Celestia actually are a bit easier, because of constructs like AltSurfaces and "Modify" and because you can use non-power-of-two textures on cards that support this.

steffens

Return to “Textures”