1.5.0 prerelease 2

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Johaen
With us: 18 years 8 months

Post #81by Johaen » 28.12.2006, 01:25

PlutonianEmpire wrote:For the record, what's HDR? High Definition Rendering?

I'm not sure if your machine can run this program, but if it can, it will give you a good idea of what HDR does. Basically bright things look really bright, dark things look really dark. Also, the brightness of objects can change, similar to how bright the bathroom light is when you wake up in the middle of the night until your eyes have a chance to adjust.

Real-Time High Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting (rthdribl)
AMD Athlon X2 4400+; 2GB OCZ Platinum RAM; 320GB SATA HDD; NVidia EVGA GeForce 7900GT KO, PCI-e, 512MB, ForceWare ver. 163.71; Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1 Gaming Soundcard; Abit AN8 32X motherboard; 600 watt Kingwin Mach1 PSU; Windows XP Media Center SP2;

Johaen
With us: 18 years 8 months

Post #82by Johaen » 28.12.2006, 16:27

PlutonianEmpire wrote:For the record, what's HDR? High Definition Rendering?

Also, read this article.

High dynamic range rendering
AMD Athlon X2 4400+; 2GB OCZ Platinum RAM; 320GB SATA HDD; NVidia EVGA GeForce 7900GT KO, PCI-e, 512MB, ForceWare ver. 163.71; Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1 Gaming Soundcard; Abit AN8 32X motherboard; 600 watt Kingwin Mach1 PSU; Windows XP Media Center SP2;

buggs_moran
With us: 20 years

Post #83by buggs_moran » 28.12.2006, 16:52

chris wrote:
Cham wrote:I say : remove completely this glare attempt. It's really a bad effect. It doesn't feel realistic at all. We never see something like this on pictures.

Don't we?

To be clear, I'm not arguing against changing or eliminating the halos on planets; I'm just challenging you to reconsider your views on what is and is not realistic.

--Chris

But that shot was taken from Earth in Arizona. The glow we see there is mostly a by-product of our atmosphere. I am sure we can all say that on a clear night we have all seen how sharp the planets are in contrast to the stars. And, I'll agree with Fridger on the glow I see through my 6" Newtonian, but again, that is through our atmosphere and is a direct result of seeing and clarity of the sky.

Above the atmosphere I would expect that our eyes would still perceive some glow due to circular aperture diffraction in our eyes (it's the same thing that causes rings in telescope pics). But I think the "glow" should definitely drop off more quickly. The Airy disk that we should see with our eyes would never be so big as the glow that is currently presented. In fact, with my limited knowledge and a little digging, the best size of a disk I could come up with was somewhere between .45 and 1.1 arcminutes in size... With my screen resolution at 1280 pixels and my FOV at 1x (~22 deg) I wouldn't even detect a hint of an Airy disk (with my eyes)...

Of course, realistically, with my glasses off, all stellar objects have a glow around them, so "reality" is in the eyes of the beholder. My vote would be to remove the glow, or at least significantly diminish it.

edit
----------------------------------
I did just read one paper that gave the resolution of the human eye at a high of 3.9 arc minutes. You might be able to model a slight glow 3 pixels wide at 1x resolution in Celestia :wink: . However, if you dropped your FOV to 7 deg (3x) you could have a glow (Airy disk) of 12 pixels wide... So perhaps there is some argument to have some glow increase at low FOVs...
Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Topic author
chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #84by chris » 28.12.2006, 19:53

buggs_moran wrote:
chris wrote:
Cham wrote:I say : remove completely this glare attempt. It's really a bad effect. It doesn't feel realistic at all. We never see something like this on pictures.

Don't we?

To be clear, I'm not arguing against changing or eliminating the halos on planets; I'm just challenging you to reconsider your views on what is and is not realistic.

--Chris

But that shot was taken from Earth in Arizona. The glow we see there is mostly a by-product of our atmosphere. I am sure we can all say that on a clear night we have all seen how sharp the planets are in contrast to the stars. And, I'll agree with Fridger on the glow I see through my 6" Newtonian, but again, that is through our atmosphere and is a direct result of seeing and clarity of the sky.

The glow in that image is not due to the atmosphere. It's caused by light reflecting and scattering within the optics of the telescope. You can see similar effects in Hubble images:

http://heritage.stsci.edu/2003/21/big.html

Also, planets aren't any sharper than stars. They do appear more stable because their apparent size is larger and are thus less affected by atmospheric distortions.

Above the atmosphere I would expect that our eyes would still perceive some glow due to circular aperture diffraction in our eyes (it's the same thing that causes rings in telescope pics). But I think the "glow" should definitely drop off more quickly. The Airy disk that we should see with our eyes would never be so big as the glow that is currently presented. In fact, with my limited knowledge and a little digging, the best size of a disk I could come up with was somewhere between .45 and 1.1 arcminutes in size... With my screen resolution at 1280 pixels and my FOV at 1x (~22 deg) I wouldn't even detect a hint of an Airy disk (with my eyes)...

Of course, realistically, with my glasses off, all stellar objects have a glow around them, so "reality" is in the eyes of the beholder. My vote would be to remove the glow, or at least significantly diminish it.

edit
----------------------------------
I did just read one paper that gave the resolution of the human eye at a high of 3.9 arc minutes. You might be able to model a slight glow 3 pixels wide at 1x resolution in Celestia :wink: . However, if you dropped your FOV to 7 deg (3x) you could have a glow (Airy disk) of 12 pixels wide... So perhaps there is some argument to have some glow increase at low FOVs...

The paper by Spencer, Shirley, et al that I linked to earlier gives empirically derived point spread functions for the human eye, and the glare due to light scattering in the eye is clearly spread over a much wider angle than 3.9 arcminutes. However, this glare is much dinner than the unscattered component and will only be perceptible if it's from a source much brighter than the background.

--Chris

Topic author
chris
Site Admin

Post #85by chris » 28.12.2006, 19:54

In the CVS version I've disabled halos around planets. I also fixed a long-existing bug in point stars mode--now the planets with an apparent size of a pixel or less will also be rendered as points.

--Chris

Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #86by Cham » 28.12.2006, 19:59

Chris,

what about all the other objects around the sun ? I had a strong halo around some spacecraft too.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Topic author
chris
Site Admin

Post #87by chris » 28.12.2006, 20:00

Cham wrote:Chris,

what about all the other objects around the sun ? I had a strong halo around some spacecraft too.

I removed the glare effect from all nonstellar objects.

--Chris

Cham M

Post #88by Cham » 28.12.2006, 20:03

Good !

And what about the star glare changing abruptly with distance ?
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Topic author
chris
Site Admin

Post #89by chris » 28.12.2006, 20:09

Cham wrote:Good !

And what about the star glare changing abruptly with distance ?

I can't reproduce that on my system--stars fade smoothly to points. I haven't had a chance to see if it happens on my PowerBook yet. Hopefully it does, otherwise it's going to be hell to figure out what's going on.

--Chris

Cham M

Post #90by Cham » 28.12.2006, 20:13

IMO, you should also put back an atmosphere on the stars. Having a sharp border isn't good.

PlutonianEmpire M

Post #91by PlutonianEmpire » 28.12.2006, 20:26

Now now now, cham. be a good kitty and go play and let Master be. ;)
Terraformed Pluto: Now with New Horizons maps! :D

Cham M

Post #92by Cham » 28.12.2006, 20:30

PlutonianEmpire wrote:Now now now, cham. be a good kitty and go play

MEOOWW! FSCHHHTT ! FSSCHHHHTT! FCHHHT!

PlutonianEmpire M

Post #93by PlutonianEmpire » 28.12.2006, 20:36

Cham wrote:
PlutonianEmpire wrote:Now now now, cham. be a good kitty and go play

MEOOWW! FSCHHHTT ! FSSCHHHHTT! FCHHHT!

Hehe.

buggs_moran

Post #94by buggs_moran » 28.12.2006, 23:47

chris wrote:
The glow in that image is not due to the atmosphere. It's caused by light reflecting and scattering within the optics of the telescope. You can see similar effects in Hubble images:

Okay, agreed over a time lapse shot, but our eyes don't work on time lapse per se. if I remember correctly we see at approx 25 frames per second so the intake of light and therefore the diffusion (scattering) of it is limited, right?

chris wrote:
Also, planets aren't any sharper than stars. They do appear more stable because their apparent size is larger and are thus less affected by atmospheric distortions.

Understood. I meant that they "look" sharper to our bare eyes than the diffuse versions through telescopes and cameras.
Homebrew:

WinXP Pro SP2

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz

1 GB Crucial RAM

80 GB WD SATA drive

ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

neo albireo
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #95by neo albireo » 29.12.2006, 00:51

chris wrote:In the CVS version I've disabled halos around planets. I also fixed a long-existing bug in point stars mode--now the planets with an apparent size of a pixel or less will also be rendered as points.

--Chris

Now they have too few halo ;)

It was just not good with the halo that strong, but now I miss some halo already - I have the feeling now that the moons are not bright enough compared with the stars.
Maybe some compromise until HDRR? It's really not easy...

Bug: When leaving the earth, it first is a disk getting smaller. Then, at 0.07 AU, both earth and moon disappear totally. Then, with 2.2 AU, they disappear again as points. What happens in between?

Also, there is still the cloud shadow bug causing Celestia to close. It only happens with a big cloud texture. However, as cloud shadows make only sense with rather detailed cloud maps, I would really like this problem to be solved.
Last edited by neo albireo on 07.01.2007, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

AlexChan

Post #96by AlexChan » 29.12.2006, 06:17

I find a problem too,
when lunar eclipse, the moon just only have 1 side of night side light, not whole moon...
Could you fix this bug?

PlutonianEmpire M

Post #97by PlutonianEmpire » 29.12.2006, 07:35

Cham wrote:IMO, you should also put back an atmosphere on the stars. Having a sharp border isn't good.

Hmmm... now that I think about it, how 'bout instead of giving back atmosphere to stars, we enable anti-aliasing for them? Just a though.

Reiko
With us: 17 years 11 months

Post #98by Reiko » 29.12.2006, 21:05

Will this install over the 1.4.1 version? I would like to take a look at this but I don't want to lose the older version just yet.

rthorvald
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #99by rthorvald » 30.12.2006, 00:08

Wow!
I am playing with the new atmosphere ssc possibilities. It is beautiful! What an insanely cool improvement!
- rthorvald

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #100by selden » 30.12.2006, 02:15

Alex,

Are you running Celestia on a Mac? You've never said.

Exactly when and from what viewpoint do you see the problem? Do you have "ambient light" turned on, perhaps?

The moon goes completely black (as it should) when I look at it in the Windows version of Celestia v1.5.0pre2 on the night of 2007 March 3.

As seen from Greenwich, in the OpenGL 2.0 render path, the Moon starts darkening at about 20:40 UTC (i.e. first contact), is completely dark at about 22:53, starts getting light at about 23:48, and is fully lit at about 01:51 on the 4th.

In the Basic render path, the corresponding times are about 21:27, 23:04, 23:38 and 01:28.

According to http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/lunar.html
totality is supposed to last 1h14m. Both renderpaths show it as less than an hour, so Celestia isn't getting it quite right. Yet.

Someone else will have to verify this on a Mac.
Selden

Return to “Celestia Users”