Celestia !.50 Pre-1 Locking up system

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
lacy
With us: 18 years 7 months

Celestia !.50 Pre-1 Locking up system

Post #1by lacy » 08.12.2006, 00:07

Celestia 1.50 Pre-1 is locking up on my system. Windows XP SP2, AMD Athlon 64 2.2 Ghz Processor, ATI Radeon Xpress 200.

Won't do anything except splash screen come up and everything will freeze. After that the computer reboots itself. I don't know what is happening. The Dec.4 CVS build seemed to work o.k. I relaize this build was not complete, but whatever changes were made between Dec. 4 and Dec.6 doesn't seem to like my system.

If there is something on my end like firewalls or virus protection, etc. that may causing this let me know.
L. Winston

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #2by selden » 08.12.2006, 11:18

Most lockups are caused by bugs in the graphics driver which can be cured by downloadng and installing the most recent version. It's available for free on ATI's Web site.
Selden

Topic author
lacy

Post #3by lacy » 09.12.2006, 17:23

O.K. I have updaqted my video drivers and still no joy. It still freezes. What do you suggest at this point?
L. Winston

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #4by selden » 09.12.2006, 17:58

Lacy,

It does sound like a recent change may be incompatible with ATI cards. I haven't had or heard of any lockups or reboots with v1.5.0pre1 running on Nvidia cards. Chris will have to be the one to try to figure that out.

However, just in case, there are some configuration mistakes that could cause problems, although I've never heard of them causing a reboot.

Did you install v1.5.0pre1 "on top of" a previously existing installation or did you have it create an all new directory tree?

Sometimes merging two versions of Celestia will cause problems. Prereleases especially need to be in their own directories.

I've also had Celestia (but not the computer) lockup while the splash screen is still shown when there's something wrong in one of the catalog files that come with Celestia. Did you edit any of them?

p.s.
You might try eliminating some possibilities.
To find out if it's something in the ogl2 path, you might try persuading Celestia to start up in one of the simpler rendering paths. There are a couple of ways to try to do this.

The easiest would be if you have a previous version that works OK: type a Ctrl-V until it flashes "Render path: Basic" and then exit.
(You also can do this in a script.)

Then run the pre1 binary: it'll use the Basic path when it starts. Then type a Ctrl-V to step through the render paths until one of them locks up.

Another thing you could try would be to edit celestia.cnf and explicitly disable particular OpenGL extensions until you find the one that is causing the lockup. See the description of the variable IgnoreGLExtensions in that file.
Selden

Topic author
lacy

Post #5by lacy » 09.12.2006, 22:09

Thanks for the information. I will try what you have suggested and let you know if it helps.

Just so you know, I have 2 versions. Both versions are in C:/Program Files. They are in seperate folders. I will try moving one of them and see what happens, butI think it is a long shot (logshots are notoriuous for working though).
L. Winston

Topic author
lacy

Post #6by lacy » 09.12.2006, 23:42

Here are my findings. Everything works fine up to the OpenGL options.
The highest I could go was Multi-texture setting. After that the freezing started

I am unable to use any of the OPenGL options with my ATI Graphics card. This may be something that Chris would want to examine and see if there is anything that he could do about it.

For now I will use it at the lower setting. I hope this is something that will be easy to fix.

Thanks for your help.
L. Winston

Return to “Bugs”