Virtual Celestia?

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Virtual Celestia?

Post #1by ElChristou » 15.11.2006, 17:27

Curiosity, someone ever use Celestia with a virtual reality device?

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #2by selden » 15.11.2006, 18:29

Please define what you mean by "virtual reality device".

Celestia has been ported for use in Cave 3D environments.

See http://www.lsi.usp.br/~paiva/glass/glass.htm
Selden

Topic author
ElChristou
Developer

Post #3by ElChristou » 15.11.2006, 18:49

Hey this is pretty neat! 8O

I was thinking much in those head mounted displays of stuff like that for a complete immersion...

Boux
With us: 20 years 1 month

Post #4by Boux » 17.11.2006, 20:02

ElChristou wrote:Hey this is pretty neat! 8O

I was thinking much in those head mounted displays of stuff like that for a complete immersion...

Actually, I have got pretty good lcd shutter glasses here. Two minutes of use and I just -- beeuuurrk -- feel completely sick.
At my company, we have a very big professional setup, I mean really big, with latest 3d headset tech stuff to render hi-res virtual visits of computer-generated power plants on a huge screen. Customers can visit their plant before any metal has been cut.
That's much better than my home equipment, for sure. But ... our most resilient guests survive for 5-8 minutes. At best.
8O
Intel core i7 3770 Ivy Bridge @ 4.4 GHz -16 GB ram - 128 GB SSD cache - AMD Radeon 7970 3 GB o'clocked - Windows 7 64 Ultimate / Linux Kubuntu

Topic author
ElChristou
Developer

Post #5by ElChristou » 17.11.2006, 22:02

Boux wrote:

Actually, I have got pretty good lcd shutter glasses here. Two minutes of use and I just -- beeuuurrk -- feel completely sick.
At my company, we have a very big professional setup, I mean really big, with latest 3d headset tech stuff to render hi-res virtual visits of computer-generated power plants on a huge screen. Customers can visit their plant before any metal has been cut.
That's much better than my home equipment, for sure. But ... our most resilient guests survive for 5-8 minutes. At best.
8O

8O Really? what's the problem?

dirkpitt
Developer
With us: 19 years 11 months

Post #6by dirkpitt » 17.11.2006, 22:50

Boux wrote:

That brings back memories - I once participated in a psychology department VR experiment where I had to wear a headset and try to find my way around a virtual environment. I got sick after about 5 minutes (motion sickness?). Needless to say, the "data" they collected from me was useless.

This was 6 years ago! Don't they have better equipment now, or are all VR helmets doomed to make the user sick?

Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #7by Cham » 17.11.2006, 23:00

dirkpitt wrote:That brings back memories - I once participated in a psychology department VR experiment where I had to wear a headset and try to find my way around a virtual environment. I got sick after about 5 minutes (motion sickness?). Needless to say, the "data" they collected from me was useless.

This was 6 years ago! Don't they have better equipment now, or are all VR helmets doomed to make the user sick?

Apparently, this is almost universal. People are getting sick with this VR stuff, because the brain is confused between the VR signals and the body signals. They don't match, and the "human OS" crashes ! 8O
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

DonAVP
With us: 18 years 10 months

Post #8by DonAVP » 18.11.2006, 00:09

The company I work for makes an octangenal (sp) room with 8 or 16 projectors in it. You get a 360 degree 2D or 3D view. Each screen is about 6 - 7 ft wide. I have asked about getting Celestia running in it. There is interest but other projects are demanding our time. I remember a thread were someone was talking about generating several POV's in the program. This would need to be so different images of space could be sent to each projector. All of the POVs would be parented together so you could rotate in any axiz to see another part of the sky.

I will post when something gets going in that direction in the future.

Don
Don't know anything

buggs_moran
With us: 20 years

Post #9by buggs_moran » 18.11.2006, 02:31

Cham wrote:People are getting sick with this VR stuff, because the brain is confused between the VR signals and the body signals. They don't match, and the "human OS" crashes ! 8O

The inner ear fluid does not spin with visual movement. Therefore, our minds get confused. This is the basis of motion sickness, but in reverse. The OS doesn't necessarily crash, it is just not equipped for motion without visual movement or visual movement without motion. Airsickness, zero-g sickness, carsickness, etc... In many cases you can learn to overcome it though...
Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Boux
With us: 20 years 1 month

Post #10by Boux » 18.11.2006, 08:30

buggs_moran wrote:
Cham wrote:People are getting sick with this VR stuff, because the brain is confused between the VR signals and the body signals. They don't match, and the "human OS" crashes ! 8O

The inner ear fluid does not spin with visual movement. Therefore, our minds get confused. This is the basis of motion sickness, but in reverse. The OS doesn't necessarily crash, it is just not equipped for motion without visual movement or visual movement without motion. Airsickness, zero-g sickness, carsickness, etc... In many cases you can learn to overcome it though...

Yes, the movements of the scenery are not produced by one's body movements.
There is not a good match between what the scenery is sending to the brain and what the brain expects to "see" while it relies on body sensors input (ground pressure under the feet, internal ear fluid...).
The brain then feeds back wrong signals to the muscles. You start feeling like drunk and loose control over your equilibrium. Then headhache creeps in and your stomach shouts for mercy.
At the widescreengaming forum there some immersive setups described.
Multiscreen setups can provide good experience, specially for flight sims.
You better have very deep pocket though
8O

Edit: and to add to the confusion there may be very weird depth sorting problems which are not so apparent/harmful on a 2d projection but are real killers in a VR setup.
Intel core i7 3770 Ivy Bridge @ 4.4 GHz -16 GB ram - 128 GB SSD cache - AMD Radeon 7970 3 GB o'clocked - Windows 7 64 Ultimate / Linux Kubuntu

Return to “Celestia Users”