Another preview - cloud shadows

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #61by Cham » 24.09.2006, 18:20

Of course I'm using OGL 2, or else the new atmosphere wont work.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #62by selden » 24.09.2006, 18:21

Does anyone with an ATI card under Windows (or Linux) see the same problem that Cham sees?

Cloudshadows work fine on my Nvidia card.

There was some previous discussion about changes being needed to some of [edit]Celestia's OpenGL 2 vertex and pixel routines [/edit] to produce somewhat more compatible code. I don't know if that ever happened.
Last edited by selden on 24.09.2006, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Selden

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #63by t00fri » 24.09.2006, 18:21

Cham wrote:Of course I'm using OGL 2, or else the new atmosphere wont work.

Then just assign another key in that script. perhaps there is a collision for you OS-X guys.

Bye Fridger

Cham M

Post #64by Cham » 24.09.2006, 18:24

t00fri wrote:Then just assign another key in that script. perhaps there is a collision for you OS-X guys.

I don't think there's a collision, because the capital-V works (gives me that colorfull garbage around the window, deep blue, and slowness !

EDIT : And who in the community is using OS X with OGL2 ? ElChristou don't have OGL2 enabled on his system. Am I the only one who can test that, on OS X ?
Last edited by Cham on 24.09.2006, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

t00fri
Developer

Post #65by t00fri » 24.09.2006, 18:27

Cham wrote:
t00fri wrote:Then just assign another key in that script. perhaps there is a collision for you OS-X guys.

I don't think there's a collision, because the capital-V works (gives me that colorfull garbage around the window, deep blue, and slowness !

EDIT : And who in the cimmunity is using OS X with OGL2 ? ElChristou don't have OGL2 enabled on his system.

How about DW (Dirkpitt), Hank ?

selden
Developer

Post #66by selden » 24.09.2006, 18:37

I finally found the thread that discussed the ogl2 shader problem that I was thinking about:
http://www.celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10024&

Chris wrote that he was going to fix it, though, so presumably that isn't the problem.
Selden

selden
Developer

Post #67by selden » 24.09.2006, 18:41

Cham,

All I think we know is that MacOS with a particular ATI card has problems.

I don't recall seeing anything either way from anyone running current MacOS with an Nvidia card

nor from anyone running Windows with the same ATI card that you have.

I've forgotten which model of ATI card you have. Could you repeat it here, please, along with the version of MacOS that you're running?
Selden

Cham M

Post #68by Cham » 24.09.2006, 18:50

I'm using the latest version of OS X (Tiger 10.4.7) with ATI Radeon x850 XT (256 MB vram).

The computer has 4 GB ram, two 2.0 GHz G5 processors. The ATI card I have is the most powerfull available for the G5.

Most Celestia users here with a Mac have an ATI card. Chris has a powerbook with an ATI card too, if I recall.

Cham M

Post #69by Cham » 24.09.2006, 18:57

I've done some more tests :

I considerably reduced the textures used (I was using 4k PNG textures for Earth base texture, bumps map, night map, clouds map and specular map before, so I guess my STUPID ATI CARD was already on its knees). :evil: :evil:

Well, I'm experiencing the same problem after using the capital-V command : deep blue and slowness, even with the low resolution maps (1k and 2k).

After that, I turned OFF bump map, night map and specular map in Earth's SSC. Using the capital-V command gave me some weird shadows. With the 1k clouds, the shadows weren't even recognisable. With the 4k clouds, the shadows were all distorded and had many artifacts. Of course, the clouds speed is set to 0 (so I could use my 4k clouds anyway).

This really sucks. :evil:

Topic author
chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #70by chris » 24.09.2006, 18:58

I just checked in the change that allows you to toggle cloud shadows on and off in the Windows view options dialog. I'd had the change sitting around for over a month and completely forgotten that I hadn't actually checked it in.

I happen to think the cloud shadows look pretty good with Don's 4k cloud map. There's still a glitch in the shadows that occurs wherever the textures are split. Yet another thing to fix . . . It's not a simple fix either. It involves changing how texture coordinates are generated in the planet renderer. I've got plans to completely rewrite that code after 1.5.0, so I'm not thrilled about making significant modifications to it now only to throw away the code in a few months.

I'm considering implementing cube map clouds and having cloud shadow textures work only with them. With cube map clouds, the inverse trig functions (there's a arctan2 and an arcsin in the rectangular to spherical conversion) aren't required, so cloud shadows can be *much* faster. Or, I might just disable cloud shadows whenever texture splitting is necessary.

--Chris

Cham M

Post #71by Cham » 24.09.2006, 19:14

However, I just discovered that the slowGo is actually VERY usefull as a FastGo (with a parameter changed from 15 to 0.001) ! This should be in the official version. Shift-G (capital G) instantaneously go to the selected object. This is a very nice alternate way to go for the impatient ! :D

t00fri
Developer

Post #72by t00fri » 24.09.2006, 19:19

Cham wrote:However, I just discovered that the slowGo is actually VERY usefull as a FastGo (with a parameter changed from 15 to 0.001) ! This should be in the official version. Shift-G (capital G) instantaneously go to the selected object. This is a very nice alternate way to go for the impatient ! :D

Indeed that's useful for testing! ;-) In particular travelling to galaxies ...is instantaneous. You are about to discover the charm of CELX scripting ;-)

Bye Fridger

Cham M

Post #73by Cham » 24.09.2006, 19:26

t00fri wrote:You are about to discover the charm of CELX scripting ;-)

Bye Fridger

True. There's a huge powerfull monster under the hood, in Celestia, and I underexploit it.

How can I add that little celx script to Celestia's config files (start.cel ?) so that the capital-G key shortcut is ON permanently, without having to call for that celx file each time by hand ?

t00fri
Developer

Post #74by t00fri » 24.09.2006, 19:44

Cham wrote:
t00fri wrote:You are about to discover the charm of CELX scripting ;-)

Bye Fridger

True. There's a huge powerfull monster under the hood, in Celestia, and I underexploit it.

How can I add that little celx script to Celestia's config files (start.cel ?) so that the capital-G key shortcut is ON permanently, without having to call for that celx file each time by hand ?

Just replace the start.cel script by a start.celx script that you wrote in Lua. Then you quote the location of start.celx in celestia.cfg. I have all scripts in a directory 'scripts', for example.

Bye Fridger

Cham M

Post #75by Cham » 24.09.2006, 19:48

But then, how do you inlude all the stuff from the start.cel into that new start.celx ?

Vincent
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #76by Vincent » 24.09.2006, 20:13

Cham wrote:But then, how do you inlude all the stuff from the start.cel into that new start.celx ?
Cham,

You can use the following function to include your .cel script lines into the .celx script body :

Code: Select all

function CEL(source)
   local script = celestia:createcelscript(source)
   while script:tick() do
      wait(0)
   end
end

CEL([[
{

# Paste here your .cel script lines

}
]])

t00fri wrote:Indeed that's useful for testing! In particular travelling to galaxies ...is instantaneous. You are about to discover the charm of CELX scripting

Fridger,

It's great to see you're interested in scripts, and even more, that you're promoting scripts. :wink:
Things are really changing...:wink:
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

Cham M

Post #77by Cham » 24.09.2006, 20:36

This is off topic now, so I'll email you, Vincent.

t00fri
Developer

Post #78by t00fri » 24.09.2006, 20:47

Vincent wrote:
t00fri wrote:Indeed that's useful for testing! In particular travelling to galaxies ...is instantaneous. You are about to discover the charm of CELX scripting

Fridger,

It's great to see you're interested in scripts, and even more, that you're promoting scripts. :wink:
Things are really changing...:wink:

Vincent,

actually, I am really not interested in Celestia scripting, except fancier constructs, like what Hank is exploring at present.

But since I am actually a wizzard as to the Maple scripting language (for my everydays professional Math), it turns out that this way, I happen to know some LUA as well: Lua and Maple basic syntax is virtually 1<-> 1. ;-)

Funnily enough, there is neither from the LUA creators nor from the Maple team any respective reference...

Bye Fridger

buggs_moran
With us: 20 years

Post #79by buggs_moran » 24.09.2006, 22:12

Just an FYI on my system using the cloud shadows. As you can see, all I get are longitudinal stripes. They move in a polar motion with equatorial cloud motion (ie transversely). At times I do see what would be considered shadows, but they are not cast by the clouds directly above the shadows. I am using Fridger's cloud dds file. My specs are below. I use an ATI 9600 with the latest drivers (9/20) and a windows build from yesterday (9/23).

Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #80by fsgregs » 24.09.2006, 22:18

Fridger:

In answer to your question, I have not yet tried 1.5.0 on my system, since I do not know how to compile, and the Windows exe file seems to be incomplete. I was commenting on the appearance of cloud shadows only based on the screenshots that Chris included in the posting above.

:)

Frank

Return to “Development”