Need help with outersys.ssc

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Christopher
With us: 18 years 1 month

Need help with outersys.ssc

Post #1by Christopher » 15.09.2006, 19:46

Hi. I just downloaded the updated outersys.ssc file, the one that adds the name Eris for the former 2003 UB313. Or rather, I went here:
http://celestia.cvs.sourceforge.net/cel ... tersys.ssc
And then I hit "download" on the latest version, resulting in a bunch of text showing up onscreen in my browser. I opened the version of outersys.ssc in my Celestia/data folder in WordPad, block-copied the updated version, pasted it into the file in WordPad, and saved it. Then I opened Celestia, only to find that most of the trans-Neptunian bodies are missing. Eris and Dysnomia are there, along with 2005 FY9 and 2003 EL61. But there's no Sedna, no Varuna, no Quaoar, Orcus or Ixion, none of the others. Neither are the moons of EL61. I rechecked the download, and their entries are all still there. The ones that are present are the first four entries in the file, but everything afterwards is missing.

I'm looking over the file to see if there's some symbol after the entry for EL61 that would prevent the program from noticing the rest of the file, but I don't see anything there that isn't present after the previous entries.

Is anyone else having this problem? Can you tell me how to fix it? Thank you.

Starshipwright

Post #2by Starshipwright » 15.09.2006, 20:13

Try using right click "Save target as" or "Save link as" on the download link. That should download it to your computer without opening it in a new browser window. :D

Topic author
Christopher

Post #3by Christopher » 16.09.2006, 17:28

Starshipwright wrote:Try using right click "Save target as" or "Save link as" on the download link. That should download it to your computer without opening it in a new browser window. :D

Thanks, that fixed it... though I still don't know what was wrong with it before.

cartrite
With us: 19 years
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Post #4by cartrite » 16.09.2006, 18:47

When you pasted the text with Wordpad a "^M" character was placed at the end of each line. These characters are not visible with Wordpad. If you opened that file with emacs you would see them. I found that when these characters are present, unpredictable results follow. The actual file when downloaded with "save link as" or "save target as" does not have them.
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years 1 month

re

Post #5by John Van Vliet » 19.09.2006, 17:47

i have had a simaler prob whem moving scripts from win to linux , those darn odd( windows) carage returns <cr> . My prob was i flip-floped between visual stuido ,scite and mingw

Return to “Celestia Users”