Newbie's "Must Have" list?

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
AllenTC2
With us: 18 years

Newbie's "Must Have" list?

Post #1by AllenTC2 » 13.09.2006, 02:06

This is simply an awesome program. I'm not a physicist, amateur astronomer, computer programmer or Trekkie. But I still fire up the company projector and lap-top and start at the hotel wall for hours! LOL

Anyway, I have just added a Hubble add-on and (I think) the Mariner 10 & 11 add-ons.

Can anyone recommend any other "must have" add-ons?

Thanks!!

Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #2by Cham » 13.09.2006, 02:14

All probes models are "must have" to me. Also, all of ElChristou models (Atlantis, Liberty Bell, Vostok) are absolute "must have" (you must try them all, or I'm gonna put a contract on your back!). I also suggest you try some of my own black holes addons (downloadable from the Motherlode). Many high resolution textures for the Earth and Mars are also "must have".
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Topic author
AllenTC2

Post #3by AllenTC2 » 13.09.2006, 02:21

Thanks!! I'll try those.....will my laptop choke on the high res textures?

Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #4by Cham » 13.09.2006, 02:22

AllenTC2 wrote:Thanks!! I'll try those.....will my laptop choke on the high res textures?

It's very likely.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Topic author
AllenTC2

Post #5by AllenTC2 » 13.09.2006, 02:27

Thanks for the vote of confidence!! LOL

Can you recommend a specific Earth / Mars texture that might be suitable for a laptop? I've got a IBM Thinkpad if that helps any.

Again, thanks for the help!

LordFerret M
With us: 18 years 1 month

Post #6by LordFerret » 13.09.2006, 03:15

I happen to like the 3D objects (nebula) created by " jll "... stunningly beautiful. Then again, everything I've run across at The Motherload is to marvel at. :wink: :D

Starshipwright
With us: 18 years 1 month

Post #7by Starshipwright » 13.09.2006, 03:29

Celestia and the universe of Celestia is so large that in order to give a "must have" list you need to know what a person is looking for.

But by far the greatest "must have" is Seldon's Guide to Add-On's that you can find at:

http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/addon-intro.html

This will help you with any type of add-on that you might want to use.

Also check out his list of resources for Celestia:

http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/

So check it all out, decide what you want, and create your own "universe" :wink:

Topic author
AllenTC2

Post #8by AllenTC2 » 13.09.2006, 12:36

That's a great resource!! Thanks! A lot of it is currently over my head, I'm computer-literate at about a 3rd-grade reading level! LOL

As for what I'd like.......well, I guess right not, just some of the major satellites, probes/landers and maybe some of these new planet textures. I think since I'm on a laptop, I'm somewhat limited to what I can really make use of. For example, I downloaded the following so far.....

ISS with Endeavor.......gorgeous 3D model, but I think I can't display a lot of detail. All the solar panels (indeed, 98% of the whole station) are gray. The only color is the docked Soyuz modules and some of the markings on the Endeavor.

Hubble telescope.....looks fine so far as I can tell.

Atlantis and the Mars Global Survey probe......As Cham threatened to put a hit out on me, I felt I had to have these. Both seem to be working well.

Anyway, based on what I've read in the documentation I downloaded, I can actually download (for example) the Viking landers....and see them reach and land on Mars?? Can the same be done with the Apollo landers?

bh
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #9by bh » 13.09.2006, 12:49

AllenTC2...with the ISS/Endeavour model you will need to download the texture packs for both the shuttle and iss. Get them from the www in this post below.

Have fun!
regards...bh.

parduz
With us: 21 years 5 months

Post #10by parduz » 01.10.2006, 23:23

I join to this topic to ask about textures (mainly earth):
I see that hires textures comes from various artists, some of them i remember there's already long time ago.
Can someone explain what difference/compatibility issues/perks and flaws there's between various textures packs?
I don't like so much the idea to download gigabytes of maps and try each pack, i'm in a shortage of disk space. So i'm asking to experts :)

Return to “Celestia Users”