Pulsars PSR J0737-3039 A and B binary !

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #41by fsgregs » 12.09.2006, 00:55

Cham:

I can honestly say that your add-ons and contributions to Celestia have been nothing short of ... well .... AMAZING!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

This is ONE COOL Add-on!

I love it! It shows pulsar dynamics wonderfully. It is a great teaching tool. Thank you for incorporating it!!!!!!!!

It would be great if the magnetic field lines could be turned on or off dynamically, so we could see the pulsar with and without them. That way, my students could understand what the lines do, and how they produce the jets. I suppose it would be possible to place the entire add-on around a second set of stars without the magnetic field lines, then use a cel:url or a bookmark to jump to them. However, can you think of any way to use a script or something to simply press a key to turn the magnetic lines on or off ... without having to create a duplicate add-on around another star?

Regarding your questions:

The jets are fine in green. I like them. The magnetic lines ... are nicely visible. I do like their color. However, I would release them in blue also (or tell us how to edit their color) and see what the consensus is.

I would also drop the number of field lines just a bit.

An interesting effect - when one of the pulsars is rotating at real time speed, it happens to create a strobe effect so that the beams actually slow down. When I press the K key and slow them down to 10x slower, the beams actually speed up visually. WEIRD!

Thanks in advance ... and THANKS for this wonderful add-on. Definitely submit it to Motherlode.

Frank

Topic author
Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #42by Cham » 12.09.2006, 01:58

fsgregs wrote:This is ONE COOL Add-on!

It would be great if the magnetic field lines could be turned on or off dynamically, so ...

Thanks ! :-)

Sorry, I don't think it's currently possible to turn the field on and off, using a keyboard shortcut.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

danielj
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #43by danielj » 12.09.2006, 13:04

I don??t understand why you add magnetic field lines.They are not seen in the visible spectrum...

Cham wrote:
fsgregs wrote:This is ONE COOL Add-on!

It would be great if the magnetic field lines could be turned on or off dynamically, so ...

Thanks ! :-)

Sorry, I don't think it's currently possible to turn the field on and off, using a keyboard shortcut.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #44by selden » 12.09.2006, 13:13

Daniel,

Celestia is a 3D visualization tool. What it displays does not have to be limited to what we can see in the visual spectrum. It often helps our understanding of what's going on if we can watch a representation of the invisible forces that are causing the events that we can see.

Hopefully when Hank finishes work on the new Lua hooks, it'll be possible to provide buttons in Addons that will be able to turn their various models off and on.
Selden

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #45by fsgregs » 12.09.2006, 20:42

Daniel:

You can choose not to use the magnetic lines in the add-on. Simply open Cham's add-on folder, locate the sub-folder named "Field-Lines" and drag it out of the folder. Put it somewhere safe in case you want it later. When you run Celestia and go to the pulsar, the field lines will not be present. :)

Frank

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #46by selden » 15.09.2006, 18:04

The pair of pulsars has been used to test General Relativity, which passed :)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 094623.htm
Selden

buggs_moran
With us: 20 years

Post #47by buggs_moran » 15.09.2006, 19:12

This would be good info to put in an ultra verbose version of the pulsars if Fsgregs adds it to the educational package...
Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Echo
With us: 18 years 8 months

Post #48by Echo » 26.10.2006, 21:21

Please post the final version of this add-on (Pulsars) which include reconstruction bugs prevous version.

Return to “Add-on development”