How about dds.gz textures?

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #21by chris » 04.09.2006, 17:15

Yes, this does seem like a good patch . . .

--Chris

phoenix
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #22by phoenix » 04.09.2006, 17:24

chris wrote:Yes, this does seem like a good patch . . .

--Chris

great!
how about adding this feature to all texture & data-loading?
yes i know it's a lot of file-input-code to patch but if you're too busy working on other improvements I would be happy to make those patches based on current CVS and steffens good work.
most recent celestia win32-SVN-build - use at your own risk (copy over existing 1.5.1 release)

phoenix

Post #23by phoenix » 09.09.2006, 19:02

instead of patching lots of code and replacing the fstreams with gzFile i found and successfully implemented this gzstream library.

this works very well for star-db, dds and cmod-files.

there is still some very weird bug with 3ds files and the new igzstream:
I can load the cassini and ISS models just fine but it fails to read the "magic number" for apollo, gemini or mir and i have absolutely no idea why.
most recent celestia win32-SVN-build - use at your own risk (copy over existing 1.5.1 release)

phoenix

Post #24by phoenix » 09.09.2006, 23:10

ok i messed something up in the meshmanager and fixed it ;)

here are my updated cvs-sources for gz-support, including new headers and win32-dlls for zlib 1.2.3 and libpng 1.2.8

http://www.purebytes.de/stuff/celestia/ ... zpatch.zip

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #25by t00fri » 10.09.2006, 00:36

phoenix wrote:ok i messed something up in the meshmanager and fixed it ;)

here are my updated cvs-sources for gz-support, including new headers and win32-dlls for zlib 1.2.3 and libpng 1.2.8

http://www.purebytes.de/stuff/celestia/ ... zpatch.zip

I am confused why you chose this inconvenient form of the patch.

Normally for CVS one uses 'diff' do derive a patch file from the actual CVS archive relative to the /new/, modified and tested src code. So the patch is just 1 single file that may be applied easily using the 'patch' program.

What are the libpng and zlib dll's supposed to do? They are part of the Windows src distribution anyway and for Linux/Mac-OS they do not apply. Did you check that the patch works for all supported operating systems? That's what would be important, since Celestia is multi-platform as you know.

Bye Fridger

phoenix

Post #26by phoenix » 10.09.2006, 09:35

t00fri wrote:I am confused why you chose this inconvenient form of the patch.

Normally for CVS one uses 'diff' do derive a patch file from the actual CVS archive relative to the /new/, modified and tested src code. So the patch is just 1 single file that may be applied easily using the 'patch' program.

yes I know ;)
call it laziness or whatever but using TortoiseCVS on windows I was unable to do so except for making a diff-patch for every file i changed.

What are the libpng and zlib dll's supposed to do? They are part of the Windows src distribution anyway and for Linux/Mac-OS they do not apply.

thats another thing I'm curious about.
we have lots of special linux and macos stuff in the cvs-source tree but those essential libs are missing?
also I previously had 2x libz and 2x libpngs both outdated with lots of bugs and security-leaks installed to compile and run celestia.
so I deleted all that old stuff and included the new libs.

I will check for linux in a few minutes but since my http-patch already works with gzip support I didn't try this extra-patch :oops:

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #27by t00fri » 10.09.2006, 10:46

phoenix wrote:
t00fri wrote:I am confused why you chose this inconvenient form of the patch.

yes I know ;)
call it laziness or whatever but using VS on windows I was unable to do so except for making a diff-patch for every file i changed.

What are the libpng and zlib dll's supposed to do? They are part of the Windows src distribution anyway and for Linux/Mac-OS they do not apply.

thats another thing I'm curious about.
we have lots of special linux and macos stuff in the cvs-source tree but those essential libs are missing?
also I previously had 2x libz and 2x libpngs both outdated with lots of bugs and security-leaks installed to compile and run celestia.
so I deleted all that old stuff and included the new libs.

I will check for linux in a few minutes but since my http-patch already works with gzip support I didn't try this extra-patch :oops:

I doubt that with your present "patch" setup any developer will take the time to implement things "by hand". Why don't you set up CYGWIN under XP and use the regular 'diff'-patch system from linux. it works excellently for me since years.

Chris (Laurel) released on his celestia directory the standard set of dll's that we all use for Windows compilation. It's the same dir where he also puts Celestia updates for Windows. You'l find it with search.

Bye Fridger

phoenix

Post #28by phoenix » 10.09.2006, 11:39

t00fri wrote:I doubt that with your present "patch" setup any developer will take the time to implement things "by hand". Why don't you set up CYGWIN under XP and use the regular 'diff'-patch system from linux. it works excellently for me since years.

actually it would be quite easy, just copy my sources over the latest CVS and if there are any differences let CVS merge the files.
however while I was checking the patch under linux I made a "real" patch-file without the windows related stuff ;)

http://www.purebytes.de/stuff/celestia/ ... gzip.patch

I've tested this with windows and linux now.

Chris (Laurel) released on his celestia directory the standard set of dll's that we all use for Windows compilation. It's the same dir where he also puts Celestia updates for Windows. You'l find it with search.

Bye Fridger

I know, thats where I got my files from.
but these are very old libs both vulnerable to buffer-overflows.
since we now actually use the zlib it really should be updated in the win32-release too.

Return to “Development”