Confusion about command lines

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Fightspit
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #41by Fightspit » 08.09.2006, 18:25

t00fri wrote:
Wish you lots of fun, Andrea!

What do you prefer: Brown or White "Bear" ;-) ?

Cheers,
Fridger

Hey Fridger :!:

Your photo remind me your post in Purgatory "See how sportive I am...". :wink: :lol:
Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2
Processor: Intel Core2 E6700 @ 3Ghz
Ram: Corsair 2 x 1GB DDR2 PC6400
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 384 bits PCI-Express 16x
HDD: Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10000 rpm

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #42by t00fri » 08.09.2006, 18:32

Malenfant wrote:Or you could just not mess about with the registry (which is risky if you don't know what you're doing,so I really don't recommend it) and download and install the "Open Command Window Here" Powertoy for Windows XP from the microsoft website, which sets this up automatically:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... rtoys.mspx
(it's in the list on the right of the screen)

This was available for earlier versions of windows too, so if you can find the powertoys for whatever version you use it should be there.

Thanks Malenfant,

that's a useful hint. Seems much easier than teaching people to mess with the registry or fixing the environment variable (PATH) by hand.
Last edited by t00fri on 08.09.2006, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
danielj
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #43by danielj » 08.09.2006, 19:27

So,do I have to download the binaries,too?I just download the executable.
But you have to understand that many people are only final users,like me,and can??t compile anything.It??s said to know that we will not have any normal map to BMNG 64k,unless you did your own.I will have to wait and see if something changes...

cartrite wrote:I installed gzip using the link provided by Fridger and did the test he posted above and it did not work. By running the setup for gzip it was not installed correctly. If others have this problem it can be fixed by right clicking on My Computer and chose Properties / Advanced / Environment Variables and edit Path (bottom window) to include

Code: Select all

;C:\Program Files\GnuWin32\bin
I put it at the end of the line and after this as done gzip worked correctly.
cartrite

t00fri
Developer

Post #44by t00fri » 08.09.2006, 19:52

danielj wrote:So,do I have to download the binaries,too?I just download the executable.
But you have to understand that many people are only final users,like me,and can??t compile anything.It??s said to know that we will not have any normal map to BMNG 64k,unless you did your own.I will have to wait and see if something changes...

Of course you have to download AND install the
"Complete package, except sources" (Setup, first in the list). Just click here and you'll get the selfextracting achive. Now you got to click on it, once it's saved on your Desktop!.
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/downlinks/gzip.php

YOU DON't HAVE TO COMPILE ANYTHING!

You just have to be able to READ and do precisely what is written. NOTHING ELSE, like what you "think you might do"...

It's not at all sad, since people will LEARN something when making their own EXCELLENT 64k normal map. Unlike you, many people in this forum see things also exactly under this perspective...

Incidentally, people who are ready to learn to do SOMETHING better than others, usually have better chances to get a decent job and will be able to buy a more expensive computer, for example... ;-)

And people who --like you-- always ask OTHERS to do things for them will usually get much less choice in life... !

Last not least, it's always a good feeling if you achieve something by yourself (even if it's just SOMETHING like e.g. a normal map ;-) )

Bye Fridger

granthutchison
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #45by granthutchison » 08.09.2006, 20:01

ImageFridger, that exact picture was used to illustrate an article I wrote for the Scotsman newspaper in 1999, concerning an occasion I was chased by a polar bear on Edg??ya, in Svalbard. I haven't seen it since, and had to dig out the old paper to be sure it was the same image. :)

Grant

cartrite
With us: 19 years
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Post #46by cartrite » 08.09.2006, 20:07

We have reached an age where the hardware is starting to support large files and render them quickly with "lots of eye candy" on peronal computers. It is not practical to have large files that can do this on a server that can be downloaded at will. I strongly agree with Fridger that having tools to create one's own large files is THE way to go.

cartrite
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

t00fri
Developer

Post #47by t00fri » 08.09.2006, 20:12

granthutchison wrote:ImageFridger, that exact picture was used to illustrate an article I wrote for the Scotsman newspaper in 1999, concerning an occasion I was chased by a polar bear on Edg??ya, in Svalbard. I haven't seen it since, and had to dig out the old paper to be sure it was the same image. :)

Grant

Hi Grant,

I hope I didn't violate any Copyrights, yet I love that picture. I had used it earlier already, also in a non-serious context ;-)

http://www.celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic ... t=icebears

In that thread there are more such white fellows from Spitsbergen...

Bye Fridger

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #48by ElChristou » 08.09.2006, 20:23

danielj wrote:...But you have to understand that many people are only final users,like me,and can??t compile anything...

Indeed this sentence give me a kind of flash, and make me recall a novel (which one I don't remember) about a war between some mutants and humans, war completely stupid because started upon a base of misunderstanding facts etc...

Danielj, how many arms do you have? :wink:

Seems you know how to read (you are interactiving whith humans on this board),
Seems you have a device called computer (you are connected to this human web),

SO YOU CAN COMPILE!!!

Now, you are free to not want to do the necessary effort (that I can understand) to compile, but please, stop boring people with your eternal complaints, stay quiet and wait for a final product...

(BTW, in this case, using a terminal as nothing to do with a compiling process...)

granthutchison
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #49by granthutchison » 08.09.2006, 21:42

t00fri wrote:I hope I didn't violate any Copyrights ...
The photo credit on the illustration in my article was to Reuters.

Grant

guest jo
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #50by guest jo » 08.09.2006, 21:46

I edited the registry and the PATH and it works perfect !! My respect to all the people here helping others with these things... :D :D

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #51by ANDREA » 08.09.2006, 23:52

I preferred to use Ren??'s way, it looked simplest, so I tried it.
Well. this gave me something to think about. 8O
I?€™ll explain:
I followed Ren??'s example, opened the Command Prompt window (click on Start lower left of the screen, then Programs, then Accessories, then Command Prompt, that opens the window with black background- this is to help danielj), using cd.. ENTER I arrived at the c:\> root, then typed the line given by Ren??
    "c:\program files\GNUWin32\bin\gzip.exe -c srtm_ramp2.world.86400x43200.bin.gz"

but I found it was not working, because it gave as error the ?€?-?€? before c and the quotes, and missing ?€
Last edited by ANDREA on 09.09.2006, 01:00, edited 2 times in total.
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

dirkpitt
Developer
With us: 19 years 11 months

Post #52by dirkpitt » 09.09.2006, 00:27

ElChristou wrote:SO YOU CAN COMPILE!!!

Sorry if this is off topic, but compiling is actually much easier for say, Linux and Mac users to do since they either have everything they need to compile already installed or at least just a double-click away. As a proud non-owner of MS Visual C++, I found trying to download free compiler tools then trying to get stuff to compile on Windows quite challenging for instance.

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #53by Chuft-Captain » 09.09.2006, 00:49

t00fri wrote:
Malenfant wrote:Or you could just not mess about with the registry (which is risky if you don't know what you're doing,so I really don't recommend it) and download and install the "Open Command Window Here" Powertoy for Windows XP from the microsoft website, which sets this up automatically:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... rtoys.mspx
(it's in the list on the right of the screen)

This was available for earlier versions of windows too, so if you can find the powertoys for whatever version you use it should be there.

Thanks Malenfant,

that's a useful hint. Seems much easier than teaching people to mess with the registry or fixing the environment variable (PATH) by hand.

"There are many ways to skin a cat" :wink:
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

t00fri
Developer

Post #54by t00fri » 09.09.2006, 09:58

[quote="ANDREA"]I preferred to use Ren??'s way, it looked simplest, so I tried it.
Well. this gave me something to think about. 8O
I?€™ll explain:
I followed Ren??'s example, opened the Command Prompt window (click on Start lower left of the screen, then Programs, then Accessories, then Command Prompt, that opens the window with black background- this is to help danielj), using cd.. ENTER I arrived at the c:\> root, then typed the line given by Ren??
    "c:\program files\GNUWin32\bin\gzip.exe -c srtm_ramp2.world.86400x43200.bin.gz"

but I found it was not working, because it gave as error the ?€?-?€? before c and the quotes, and missing ?€

Topic author
danielj

Post #55by danielj » 09.09.2006, 14:36

Arctic Server is offline again.Since yesterday.
But I didn??t understand what can I do with gzip.Is only to compress the texture?
But what program can I generate the normal map?
I was playing with Photoshop and I use the filter low relief,but it didn??t generate a convincent normal map.What program should I use?

Fightspit
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #56by Fightspit » 09.09.2006, 14:44

Try it again:
http://snowy.arsc.alaska.edu/nasa/topography/
and not say me it is offline :wink:
Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2
Processor: Intel Core2 E6700 @ 3Ghz
Ram: Corsair 2 x 1GB DDR2 PC6400
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 384 bits PCI-Express 16x
HDD: Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10000 rpm

Topic author
danielj

Post #57by danielj » 09.09.2006, 15:00

Is this file I have to download?
http://snowy.arsc.alaska.edu/nasa/topog ... 0x2700.jpg
Or this:

I will download smaller textures first,to test.
Anyway,how can I generate a NormalMap?

Fightspit wrote:Try it again:
http://snowy.arsc.alaska.edu/nasa/topography/
and not say me it is offline :wink:

t00fri
Developer

Post #58by t00fri » 09.09.2006, 15:02

danielj wrote:Arctic Server is offline again.Since yesterday.
But I didn??t understand what can I do with gzip.Is only to compress the texture?
But what program can I generate the normal map?
I was playing with Photoshop and I use the filter low relief,but it didn??t generate a convincent normal map.What program should I use?

Daniel,

ONCE AGAIN:
The tutorial of how to do a 64k normal map will be in CelestialMatters NOT in this forum. The download of the nmtools archive for making the normalmap will also be in CelestialMatters.

You are asked to wait until we are ready to open this new site, which will be very soon.

However, since Chris has today announced to wrap up the new CVS stuff for a 1.5.0 prerelease, I have to stop working on the tutorial and other CM stuff, in order to get my new galaxy code & our templates ready for CVS TODAY.

The above discussion about gzip was merely some kind of pre-exercise for interested people (ANDREA,...) to get already familiar with the Windows console and the handling of command-line tools in general.

It appears that you have understood nothing. Do you have some kind of problem with reading or did you simply not read carefully what I wrote?

Bye Fridger

t00fri
Developer

Post #59by t00fri » 09.09.2006, 15:16

danielj wrote:Is this file I have to download?
Or this:

I will download smaller textures first,to test.
Anyway,how can I generate a NormalMap?

Use your common sense! How can one make a 64k NormalMap from an elevation map as "tiny" as
5400x2700, which is the size of the map you were referring to above!

You simply DO NOT READ what people write.
It's all a few posts higher up.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
srtm_ramp2.world.86400x43200.bin.gz

is what you need. It is 1.2 GB in size and if you decompress it it's ~8 GB.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So don't do that now, except you have plenty of empty disk space.

Bye Fridger

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #60by ANDREA » 09.09.2006, 16:06

Peace. ho!
Fridger, please, don?€™t take every word here as a personal offence.
You know how much I appreciate what you and other programmers (not so many, alas!) are doing for Celestia community, but at the same time I don?€™t appreciate the way in which, constantly, some of you are treating people that use Windows (it looks like a kind of cybernetic racism).
As Windows user, sometimes I feel myself considered as a criminal that doesn?€™t learn to use Linux or PERL or C++ or LUA or celx for his own laziness. :oops:
There will be a hell of reason why ALL the people with a PC are not ALL Linux or MAC users, or programmers , isn't it?
From when I started using Celestia I tried and tried again, and learned to write scripts, to create and modify textures, to apply them as I like to be, participating as I can (with my very little capabilities) to the Forum, expressing opinions, requests, doubts, proposals, appreciation, testing and searching, and so on.

On the subject of this post, I applied with success both Ren???€™s way (with all the changes needed to make it work, that I found anyway), and cartrite?€™s way (very simple and easy to apply), so I don?€™t think I?€™m a lazy man, that only requests other people to do what he wants. :cry:
I?€™m always trying to do what is suggested here, but many times (too many, IMO) I miss the information, experience, culture that are needed.
You are getting irritated about my misunderstanding or non-applying the ?€“d etc. but in my post I was only saying that Ren???€™s command line contained some errors, nothing else.
BTW I was waiting for a reply on this from Ren??, not from you. :wink:

t00fri wrote:you see, you did NOT follow my detailed instructions above! Command-line programs need option parameters to know what to do. You only added -c for STDIN/STDOUT switching, but forgot the -d to tell gzip that it is to UNPACK a gz-compressed file. Above I have discussed compressing and uncompressing STEP-BY-STEP in case of the simple file README.1st. I have explained the use of the -d option for you, but apparently it was not read. ;-)

Wasn?€™t simpler to say ?€?use uncompress.exe in your command line?€
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Return to “Celestia Users”