Add-On / Extras Objects Not Selectable

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
Raider
With us: 18 years 2 months

Add-On / Extras Objects Not Selectable

Post #1by Raider » 06.08.2006, 18:01

Hello,
I've been playing with Add-Ons recently and also attempting adding 3ds objects in Celestia. The problem I keep having is that once I install an add on with fictional objects, such as Star Wars objects I can not select or navigate to them. I was finally able to find the Star Wars objects by pressing enter and entering the HD (#) which did not autmatically appear. I had to open the SSC file to find the number. Strangedly it would not do the same with child objects of the star like Death Star. Once I found the Death Star object and clicked on it, I was able to press enter and it was a selectable object, until I terminated Celestia.

I initially had the same problem when putting 3ds objects in the extras and experimenting with ssc files. I finally decided to blow the Celestia installation away, reinstall then install an add on with 3ds objects to see how it works. The result was I had the same problem. Objects are there, but how do I navigate to them?

How do these objects get added to the catalog you select from?
From what I read the names should be showing up after they are read from the .ssc files at startup.

Thanks,
Raider
Raider

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #2by selden » 07.08.2006, 00:16

When objects are in another stellar system, you first must select the star that they're orbiting. Then you can select the objects that are in that star system.

Alternatively, if you use the [return]objectname[return] method, you can specify the full path name of the object. For example,
[return]
HD 143761/Endor/Death Star
[return]
Selden

Topic author
Raider
With us: 18 years 2 months

Post #3by Raider » 07.08.2006, 11:52

When using the [return]objectname[retur] method, should the star show up in thie listing of registered objects?

I don't see the star from the add on in the listing that pops up (auto complete style).

Thanks again.
Raider

selden
Developer

Post #4by selden » 07.08.2006, 13:15

Stars selected using the HIP catalog number do not show up in the "tab completion" line. There are just too many of them. They are selected after you've typed their complete designation followed by a [return]
Selden

Sky Pilot
With us: 19 years 9 months
Location: Moved recently from the Bihem System, now in Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Post #5by Sky Pilot » 08.08.2006, 17:47

selden wrote:When objects are in another stellar system, you first must select the star that they're orbiting. Then you can select the objects that are in that star system.

I wonder if that's why I wasn't able to navigate to the M4 cluster by typing "M4." I dropped the entire M4 folder into my extras folder and I can't find it in Celestia. If that's the problem, how would I navigate to it?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

selden
Developer

Post #6by selden » 08.08.2006, 17:53

A Nebula is a "top level" object, similar to a Star in that respect. You should be able to type its name and GoTo it. Look in its DSC catalog file to locate the exact spelling of its name. You may be making a typo. Don't forget to include whatever spaces it has.

Also, look at the contents of Celestia's console log. Type a tilde (~) to see its contents. Use the arrow keys to navigate it. It may have some relevant status messages.
Selden

Return to “Add-on development”